The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (3) Dallas Stars | Lightning win 2020 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2020 Stanley Cup Final  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/22/2020 at 12:00 AM

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Lightning do have some important decisions to make, especially on the blueline, this offseason. But I wouldn't be surprised if they repeat as Stanley Cup champions again next year.

Hmmm - but as they will have to go thru us, that means.............. :sadno: 

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Proof that drafting and developing and patience is the only way to win.

To some degree....they did have 5 top ten picks in 6 years, including a #1 & #2 back to back...helps with the odds to have top picks, especially in succession where guys will be ready to play around the same time.  So you have to factor in draft depth and drafting order/number of picks as part of that.  

They also did pick up players and it's a fine balance to get it right.

Overall, I don't disagree with you but it's simply not that simple.  Goaltending also is HUGE in playoffs...overall health, although they didn't have Stamkos so that shows how depth comes into play.

But there's no formula that's guaranteed...while drafting and "patience" is advisable ... many picks don't pan out like they're expected to so you have to be adaptable and have plan B's in place.  Tweaks and balances are part of the recipe along the way...not just add picks and let rise.

• Cheers 1

Congrats Tampa.... a great team without doubt...

And to think they did it without JT, who is now one of the most important players in Vancouver.... Just goes to show, how deep the Bolts really were... also delighted the see Seguin, Pavelski and Perry get zilts....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

To some degree....they did have 5 top ten picks in 6 years, including a #1 & #2 back to back...helps with the odds to have top picks, especially in succession where guys will be ready to play around the same time.  So you have to factor in draft depth and drafting order/number of picks as part of that.  

Overall, I don't disagree with you but it's simply not that simple.  Goaltending also is HUGE in playoffs...overall health, although they didn't have Stamkos so that shows how depth comes into play.

But there's no formula that's guaranteed...while drafting and "patience" is advisable ... many picks don't pan out like they're expected to so you have to be adaptable and have plan B's in place.  Tweaks and balances are part of the recipe along the way...not just add picks and let rise.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are without a doubt the best franchise in the NHL today.  They are loaded with talent and scoring ability.  They overcame major adversity after getting swept by Columbus.  It's hard not to root for them and be happy that they won.  There are literally no holes in their team.  Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn... they were all overlooked and rejected by other teams.  I firmly believe that those guys wouldn't be where they are without the entire system that Tampa has put in place.  The one pick that didn't fit in was Jonathan Drouin, which they flipped for Mikhail Sergachev.  Veteran free agents signed for cheap because they knew this team was a winner.

Their main formula was to score a lot of goals.  When that didn't work and things went south last year, they made those adjustments.

The Canucks have not had a winning recipe for a while and our track record shows.  Have to take things one step at a time, which for Benning is to NOT make any more stupid UFA signings.

7 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Yup I really wanted to root for him being a BC boy but that Tampa game in Vancouver last year where Martel gave Stetcher a cheap shot to the head while Cooper gave Martel props on the bench after he took Stetcher out of the game. I can’t forget that disturbing image of him congratulating injuring one of our players. I can’t cheer for the Ex Lawyer from PG who just won the cup and that is why. But I am happy for Luke Schenn getting a cup after his bro did last year and it was a rough go for him being bounced around the league the last few years.

John Cooper is a super nice guy.  I know a lot of people in PG are proud. He was a superb lacrosse player. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I really hate how Tampa got good. They were a top team, then nosedived for a year, grabbed Stamkos and then back to the top.

19 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I really hate how Tampa got good. They were a top team, then nosedived for a year, grabbed Stamkos and then back to the top.

They do have a couple of top draft picks, but Point, Kucherov, Palat, Cirelli and Gourde were not first-round draft picks.  They got good for a lot of reasons, and one of them is that they made every draft selection count.

On the flip side, our only late bloomer is Adam Gaudette.  You can't just rely on first round picks and trades to get good.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

On 9/29/2020 at 11:28 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

The Tampa Bay Lightning are without a doubt the best franchise in the NHL today.  They are loaded with talent and scoring ability.  They overcame major adversity after getting swept by Columbus.  It's hard not to root for them and be happy that they won.  There are literally no holes in their team.  Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn... they were all overlooked and rejected by other teams.  I firmly believe that those guys wouldn't be where they are without the entire system that Tampa has put in place.  The one pick that didn't fit in was Jonathan Drouin, which they flipped for Mikhail Sergachev.  Veteran free agents signed for cheap because they knew this team was a winner.

Their main formula was to score a lot of goals.  When that didn't work and things went south last year, they made those adjustments.

The Canucks have not had a winning recipe for a while and our track record shows.  Have to take things one step at a time, which for Benning is to NOT make any more stupid UFA signings.

Namestnikovso didn't pan out for the Bolts but they used him to get McDonagh and Miller who they flipped for Blake Coleman