The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies

Sharpshooter

image.jpeg.fcca274e8485b2a884f615b9f49a27b5.jpeg

(CNN)Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on Friday, the court announced. She was 87.

Ginsburg was appointed in 1993 by President Bill Clinton and in recent years served as the most senior member of the court's liberal wing consistently delivering progressive votes on the most divisive social issues of the day, including abortion rights, same-sex marriage, voting rights, immigration, health care and affirmative action.

——————————————————

This is a huge loss to the Supreme Court and American people. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

A generation’s civil rights/liberties could feel the repercussions if Trump/McConnell try to ram through a conservative replacement. 

The best hope might be a second revolution if that's the case.  Otherwise we're going to be living above a barbaric dictatorship for a very long time.

• Haha 1

Just now, drdeath said:

Can a lame duck senate push a nomination through? Because that’s the scariest outcome that seems like it might happen. 

I’m just waiting to see/hear McConnell’s rationale of pushing one through considering what he did with Obama’s nominee. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Can a lame duck senate push a nomination through? Because that’s the scariest outcome that seems like it might happen. 

Moscow Mitch basically said **** you Obama when he tried to ram thru an appointment at the end of his administration.  Course, now that it's the GOP in charge, well, it's different.:lol:

Just like when the GOP couldn't beat FDR, they managed to put in term limits for the President.  And when GOP Reagon was unbeatable, they made attempts to remove that term limits stipulation.:lol:

Law & Order party indeed.  They just twist the laws/rules to their benefit.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m just waiting to see/hear McConnell’s rationale of pushing one through considering what he did with Obama’s nominee. 

Oh I’m well aware about Merrick Garland but Mitch has already said he’d do it anyway. I don’t think he’s stupid enough to try it before the election as too many Republican senators are in too many close races but after the election there’s really nothing to stop them from doing it. 

Attempting to ram a SC judge through this close to an election with the race shaping up as it is would be suicide. McConnell relishes being Senate Majority leader far too much. Being the self described "Grim Reaper" means too much for him.

If they did ram a judge through it would surely cost them the Presidency and the Senate.

Senator Murkowski (R -Alaska) is out saying no way.

Have to think other Republican Senators who are up for re-election in November such as Collins ME, McSally AZ, Tillis NC, Gardner CO don't want to piss of their constituents while their races look very dicey.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Attempting to ram a SC judge through this close to an election with the race shaping up as it is would be suicide. McConnell relishes being Senate Majority leader far too much. Being the self described "Grim Reaper" means too much for him.

If they did ram a judge through it would surely cost them the Presidency and the Senate.

Senator Murkowski (R -Alaska) is out saying no way.

Have to think other Republican Senators who are up for re-election in November such as Collins ME, McSally AZ, Tillis NC, Gardner CO don't want to piss of their constituents while their races look very dicey.

Be careful though. Her words scare me about what i posted above. Mitch can literally start the entire process AFTER election day because he's still the Senate majority leader until January.  Senators who have already been voted out of the Senate could confirm a pick by someone who's been voted out of the White House and it would all be legal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, drdeath said:

Be careful though. Her words scare me about what i posted above. Mitch can literally start the entire process AFTER election day because he's still the Senate majority leader until January.  Senators who have already been voted out of the Senate could confirm a pick by someone who's been voted out of the White House and it would all be legal.

Good point but that would surely lead to Democrats expanding the court.

These outgoing Senators have further career aspirations. Collins for example has her eyes on the Governorship of Maine. She can kiss that goodbye if she participates in shenanigans like that. Although Joni Ernst (R- IA) said a few months ago she'd have no problem doing just that. So I guess we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Means nothing because this &^@#ing idiot and their whole party are kings of contradiction and hypocrisy and they'll pass their nominee all they want. Dems as usual are useless to stop them.

Nah nf is right, many of them don't have the balls to go that far, their life ambition also isn't to stack the Supreme Court, no matter what they campaign on. The only danger is Trump bullying them all into submission, which is definitely possible.

Also RIP to Ginsburg, she did her part in making life less $&!#ty for women and minorities. Its a shame that is being overshadowed a bit by the political implications. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Means nothing because this &^@#ing idiot and their whole party are kings of contradiction and hypocrisy and they'll pass their nominee all they want. Dems as usual are useless to stop them.

Right you are. Apparently McConnell just put out a statement saying Trump's nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the Senate.

He's going to ram one through.