The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)

Tystick

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Other than fox news which is definitely the last option. All other msm shapes the narrative to drive interest and entertainment so they get more ad revenue. Don't think there are any conspiracies trying to shape public opinion there. Just doing whatever is necessary to make any news entertaining to the public.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I know how a lot of people feel about videos on this site.  Noam Chomsky talked about this and called it "manufacturing consent".  This video does a pretty good of summarizing it, and can explain it a lot better than me lol.

Not all videos are the same. Noam Chomsky can be relied on due to his decades long history of backing up everything he says with facts.  

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I think its fair to say at this point, that the MSM has done some questionable things over the last few years.

I have my own view on the subject, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

I voted D simply because you push-polled the question to influence opinion and that's the sort of thing the media does or supports.

• Cheers 2

“Mainstream media” is a pretty broad term. You could probably answer anything from A through D and be correct, when it comes to the various media outlets that are considered “mainstream.” I’ll go with B for the mainstream media sources that I use most often, especially when it comes to their news divisions (opinion is a whole other matter).

• Vintage 1

Most mainstream media in north america is owned by 3 separate entities.  post media, murdoch group, Sinclair's.  they are predominantly and openly right wing.  When people whine about fake news, or mom they usually tend to be on the right wing 

the irony of this is not lost on people paying attention.

news reports what is a current fact, they almost all literally report the exact same things.  there's no real bias at all unless its an opinion piece or columnist.  That's when things get ugly.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

I think its fair to say at this point, that the MSM has done some questionable things over the last few years.

I have my own view on the subject, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

I can't answer your poll until I know what you mean by "main stream". 

I also don't really see what the problem is, assuming you have some critical thinking skills. 

Of course each talking head and news outlet has its slant, or its target audience, and/or its focus. So what? 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Most mainstream media in north america is owned by 3 separate entities.  post media, murdoch group, Sinclair's.  they are predominantly and openly right wing.  When people whine about fake news, or mom they usually tend to be on the right wing 

the irony of this is not lost on people paying attention.

news reports what is a current fact, they almost all literally report the exact same things.  there's no real bias at all unless its an opinion piece or columnist.  That's when things get ugly.

excellent point Hip. 

But thats also what drives some to look for "alternate" media where they think they are getting "truth" from. I find it really interesting that some people will hand over their trust to something because its alt. 

15 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

But thats also what drives some to look for "alternate" media where they think they are getting "truth" from. I find it really interesting that some people will hand over their trust to something because its alt. 

'What degree do you trust or distrust the Youtube/ reddit/ 4chan etc... media?'

Just now, Robert Long said:

you mean the platforms? thats like asking if I trust using wood in a house. Depends on who's building it. 

I meant the 'youtubers' not the platform. Those that do media like vids.

Wood is fine for a house if your builder is up to code. Go concrete for a condo.