The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

EP40.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I'm Vancouver hearing that request I am calling Buffalo about Dahlin....

And Buffalo says if you’re not offering Pettersson or Hughes take a hike.  

I wouldn’t put Ekblad’s value as high as

Hughes’ but it’s not crazy far off (a tier below I’d say).... what would we be asking for Hughes?  I wouldn’t even come close to considering that Nylander package.  

23 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Ekblad would be a tremendous add.

I would be ok with trading Boeser in this scenario.

Ekblad elite RHD. Brock Boesser a very good top 6 forward. 

Sorry it's going to take 1 or 2 more pieces for Florida to trade Ekblad for Boesser assets Vancouver might not have 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

And Buffalo says if you’re not offering Pettersson or Hughes take a hike.  

I wouldn’t put Ekblad’s value as high as

Hughes’ but it’s not crazy far off (a tier below I’d say).... what would we be asking for Hughes?  I wouldn’t even come close to considering that Nylander package.  

Then you'd be overvaluing the guy.

I like Ekblad but some of y'all are out to lunch on these proposals

Jones for Johansson.  I'd consider Jones better than Ekblad.  That was a 1-1 deal.

If it was Boeser and a high plus that's fine.  Boeser plus a 1st?  Mid tier young player?  Fine 

But people suggesting Boeser, Podkolzin, 1st, 2nd...come in.  That nets you Dahlin esque return.

Let's say for instance you're toronto

Carolina offers up Svechnikov, Pesce, 1st and 2nd for Reilly.  You taking that deal?  

Yes, every damned day.  Then laughing hard about it.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Sorry it's going to take 1 or 2 more pieces for Florida to trade Ekblad for Boesser assets Vancouver might not have 

Ekblad's ceiling is elite but he's not there yet.  Definitely needs to clean up his play in his own end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

You replied with what you think is a fact with zero context. 

wow! in my OPINION, I THINK Ekblad makes to much for our team, we are probably going to go with some of our young players in the system,  we have good ones waiting in the wing. at least that is what Benning has said

20 hours ago, peaches5 said:

They gave up the blueline and let Vegas use their speed and then when they got the puck they ripped it around the boards, flipped it off the boards or had a forward come down to take it from in front of the net. They have to move the puck better and be able to play against big bodied forwards. Stecher playing top 4 minutes just can't happen. Edler is also on his last year of being effective.. and I am not a huge fan of Myers so you need to bring in another big bodied top 2 dman. Ekblad would be a great addition to solidify the defence for years. 

I totally agree with you on Stech but not on Myers. And you make a good point about ripping it around but I noticed that more with our bottom pairing. Hughes and Myers were usually the ones skating it out. As for our forwards they seemed to either get hemmed in or waited up top to get the pass than would dump it and change. It was really noticeable when the 3rd line was on and whatever line happened to be on with Stech.

I just think blaming our D when we were shut out 3 of the 7 games is a bit unfair. In the Blues series if one line was off another line seemed to step up but in the Vegas series the whole group looked gassed.

I do think we need to upgrade our 5-7th D. Hopefully Joulevi and Rafferty both excellent puck movers can make the jump. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Then you'd be overvaluing the guy.

I like Ekblad but some of y'all are out to lunch on these proposals

Jones for Johansson.  I'd consider Jones better than Ekblad.  That was a 1-1 deal.

If it was Boeser and a high plus that's fine.  Boeser plus a 1st?  Mid tier young player?  Fine 

But people suggesting Boeser, Podkolzin, 1st, 2nd...come in.  That nets you Dahlin esque return.

Let's say for instance you're toronto

Carolina offers up Svechnikov, Pesce, 1st and 2nd for Reilly.  You taking that deal?  

Yes, every damned day.  Then laughing hard about it.

I don’t think Reilly is a suitable comparable... if Ekblad’s a tier below Hughes he’s also a tier above Reilly imho.  

I love Boeser and don’t think we should trade him BUT.... I think it would take him Podkolzin and a 1st to get the conversation past shop talk.  I’d love to be proven wrong though lol. 

edit:  I should say, I think if Florida was actually moving him they’d be after one of the pieces we don’t want to move.... I’m thinking Horvat would be the target. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think Reilly is a suitable comparable... if Ekblad’s a tier below Hughes he’s also a tier above Reilly imho.  

I love Boeser and don’t think we should trade him BUT.... I think it would take him Podkolzin and a 1st to get the conversation past shop talk.  I’d love to be proven wrong though lol. 

Let's find some 40 point comparables to within 2 years then and see if people would offer that much for them.

I think it's the 1st overall stigma people can't get over as opposed to pure stats

Just now, Warhippy said:

Let's find some 40 point comparables to within 2 years then and see if people would offer that much for them.

I think it's the 1st overall stigma people can't get over as opposed to pure stats

I don’t think that’s untrue..... but I also don’t think it’s a completely moot point in a lot of GM’s minds, the guy’s been consistently very good since he was a teenager. 

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think that’s untrue..... but I also don’t think it’s a completely moot point in a lot of GM’s minds, the guy’s been consistently very good since he was a teenager. 

There's no argument he's a good player.

But

Boeser 30+ goal winger

Top tier prospect

1st

2nd

What did Karlsson return?  Burns?  

Just now, Warhippy said:

There's no argument he's a good player.

But

Boeser 30+ goal winger

Top tier prospect

1st

2nd

What did Karlsson return?  Burns?  

I think the difference with Karlsson is he was a little older coming off a significant injury and surrounded by drama (demanding out)  Burns wasn’t the Burns he became when the sharks grabbed him if I remember correctly.... that was a while back. 

I think if Boeser is the centrepiece then the cost is a bit higher just based on the fact that wingers don’t generally carry the value centres and defensemen do.  

End of the day, I wouldn’t be surprised if the price was up in the neighbourhood of what you’ve got posted there (the second may be a little excessive but I don’t think it’s far off).  I do tend to think the piece they’d be asking for may be one of the ones we wouldn’t be willing to move (Especially since he’s our captain).  

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

It didn't say and by no means am I under the impression it would take Boeser alone. I only put his name out there because that would most likely be where the conversation would start (and Pettersson/Horvat/Hughes should certainly be untouchable).

I'm also quite certain that if indeed Ekblad is available there are many other teams which could/would offer a better package than Vancouver could put together.

4 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

It didn't say and by no means am I under the impression it would take Boeser alone. I only put his name out there because that would most likely be where the conversation would start (and Pettersson/Horvat/Hughes should certainly be untouchable).

I'm also quite certain that if indeed Ekblad is available there are many other teams which could/would offer a better package than Vancouver could put together.

Exactly, not wanting to get into who is worth more or less but possible offers from teams needing a stud right side dman start with Nylander, Ehlers, Laine, Johnny Hockey. Just off the top of my head. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think the difference with Karlsson is he was a little older coming off a significant injury and surrounded by drama (demanding out)  Burns wasn’t the Burns he became when the sharks grabbed him if I remember correctly.... that was a while back. 

I think if Boeser is the centrepiece then the cost is a bit higher just based on the fact that wingers don’t generally carry the value centres and defensemen do.  

End of the day, I wouldn’t be surprised if the price was up in the neighbourhood of what you’ve got posted there (the second may be a little excessive but I don’t think it’s far off).  I do tend to think the piece they’d be asking for may be one of the ones we wouldn’t be willing to move (Especially since he’s our captain).  

To be honest, looking at the Burns trade.  I'd say that's actually quite comparable.

Burns + 2nd

for

Charlie Coyle

Devin Setoguchi

1st round pick

Coyle was an unknown late 1st picked prospect, Setoguchi had just banked his 3rd 20+ goal season and the additional 1st was quite late.

So in essence, if it was Boeser, 1st.....Karlsson?  That'd be quite comparable without offering in a top tier prospect and additional pick.

I'd quite ok with that.  But the idea of Hoglander, Podz 1st 2nd plus plus is a shade nuts.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, EP40. said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-matt-dumba-next-wild-trade-block/

> Harman mentions Florida is depleted of a 2nd line with Hoffman & Dadonov heading to free agency which is where a possible Boeser move -

For the people in the back

The. Canucks. Are. Not. Trading. Boeser.

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1