The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

EP40.

48 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No way Podz is going any where. If they have to add with Brock it may be a draft pick and maybe a prospect not named Podz, we have enough good prospects to add

why do you people constantly add Boeser to every trade, Benning has already said he is not trading Boeser. just doesn't make any sense, when Benning got Toffoli to complete the top six and now you all want to give away Boeser and make the top six incomplete again! why not go with Jake, Gaudette, Leivo,  or some picks

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I think this rumour makes a lot of sense.  I think the reality is a lot harder.  I am sure the Panthers are getting calls for Ekblad, not sure they would be interested.

If I was Benning I would look at what he did with EP.  EP came in, was better than expected and said who do I need to put next to him and found JT Miller.

Quinn Hughes came in and was way better than any reasonable expectations.  The next question he should ask himself is who do I want to put next to him.  I am not saying that Ekblad is the guy, but as I said in the other thread he is a nasty SOB to play against and a right shot D.  That may be the perfect type of guy to put next to Quinn. 

Problem is you need someone who can skate and pass the puck as well as provide that nastiness or you have Gudbranson again.

Would be damn expensive but we have waited 50 years to finally get a top D so investing in a number 2 should be a reasonable priority.

This is what Larkin says we need to do...he was also the only guy in THN that said Vancouver would be the next Canadian team to win a cup.... also predicted we win make the playoffs this year and make some noise which we definitely did.    Thinks we should be bold and trade BB to get a true number 2 guy - not a top four (we did that with Myers last off-season) but a top first defense pairing guy and Ekblad checks all the boxes.   So does AP obviously.    For 1.5 more I know who’d I’d take just for cap space ...

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mll said:

That's Dayal being a blogger and not thinking straight.  He lists Stralman, Yandle and Matheson as unmovable and concludes that they are going to move their best D in Ekblad to get better.  I don't really get how that's logical.

It's really too bad that George Richards was among the recent layoffs at The Athletic.  They are still in the red since being launched and are now being hit by the pandemic and the lack of subscriptions.  Richards is pretty much the only reliable source for Florida news as no one else covers the team.

Well Boston traded their 40 point ELC RHD Hamilton to Calgary for a 1st rounder - (insanity really - just for the slim chance of getting another ... Hamilton).  So stranger things have happened...

My concern with Ekblad is Jovanovski,

I don't see Ekblad as being more than a 40 point defenseman, which is great but is he a true #1?  No.  He isn't as physical as we'd like.  Has some concussion issues but more importantly has a HUGE contract.  When you factor in our history of trades with Florida; if you're not sweating a bit at the cost vs benefit you're not paying enough attention.

Would be a great pick up, but buyer beware as cost might well outweigh return.

Cernak though, hell yes please

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Well Boston traded their 40 point ELC RHD Hamilton to Calgary for a 1st rounder - (insanity really - just for the slim chance of getting another ... Hamilton).  So stranger things have happened...

Friedman says it's because Chiarelli in Edmonton was going to offer-sheet Hamilton and they knew he'd sign it.  Ekblad is signed long term.

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why do you people constantly add Boeser to every trade, Benning has already said he is not trading Boeser. just doesn't make any sense, when Benning got Toffoli to complete the top six and now you all want to give away Boeser and make the top six incomplete again! why not go with Jake, Gaudette, Leivo,  or some picks

There is no "giving away" Boeser when the possible return is a player of Ekblad's character.

He's also not overpaid, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Friedman is just trying to stir the pot, he knows Canucks fans pay attention to rumours about the team, and usually run wild with it. He's not dumb, he just looks it.

I have no idea why Florida would do this. And even if they wanted to trade their star cornerstone Dman, I seriously can't see Ekblad being treaded to VAN. The Canucks don't have anything really to trade. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat - they're not going anywhere. Does Florida need goaltending? Could they be interested in Demko? Or even getting Markstrom back? I don't think goalie Bob has played well for them, and Spencer Knight won't be ready for a while.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Ekblad might be one of the few players I wouldn't mind trading Boeser for. That said, more curious on how we can pry Cernak out of Tampa. Probably won't cost Boeser. Maybe Hoglander?

Tampa only has McDonagh, Hedman and Coburn under contract for next season.  Cernak and Sergachev makes it 5.   A D-corps is minimum 6 Ds.    

They are more likely to try and move players up front.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Friedman is just trying to stir the pot, he knows Canucks fans pay attention to rumours about the team, and usually run wild with it. He's not dumb, he just looks it.

I have no idea why Florida would do this. And even if they wanted to trade their star cornerstone Dman, I seriously can't see Ekblad being treaded to VAN. The Canucks don't have anything really to trade. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat - they're not going anywhere. Does Florida need goaltending? Could they be interested in Demko? Or even getting Markstrom back? I don't think goalie Bob has played well for them, and Spencer Knight won't be ready for a while.

Zito knows Bobrovsky from their Columbus days.  He believes that he will rebound.

26 minutes ago, mll said:

They need defence far more than scoring though.  Florida was good for 6th in league scoring but tied 28th in goals against.  They are losing some people up front but it's widely agreed that it's far harder to find Ds especially top pairing RDs than it is to find wingers. Is Zito really thinking that the way to improve is to get rid of his RD1.  He'll be looking for an Ekblad the rest of his tenure.

I had a 1960 Mercury fleetside pickup years ago. I sold it at a weak moment and never should have. Always regretted it. Hopefully Ekblad is Florida's fleetside and we are the lucky new owners. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Ekblad might be one of the few players I wouldn't mind trading Boeser for. That said, more curious on how we can pry Cernak out of Tampa. Probably won't cost Boeser. Maybe Hoglander?

mannnn giving away Hoglander seems like a classic bite us in the ass trade. 

• Upvote 3