Sign in to follow this  
EP40.

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

13 hours ago, bree2 said:

ekblad makes too much

Didnt know you signed the cheques.

13 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman says it's because Chiarelli in Edmonton was going to offer-sheet Hamilton and they knew he'd sign it.  Ekblad is signed long term.

Then why didn’t Sweeney let him offer sheet Hamilton and rub Chia pets face in it around the league a little - plus to get to a first round pick what exactly would have been their offer?  Doesn’t make sense still because for sure they match it on the low side of 4 million.   Friedman was probably hypothesizing. 

Just go after AP for free and see what happens there first.   A little more for a better player - costs us cap for sure but much better spent then what the costs would be for TT plus Tanev.    Then re-sign Fanta.  Let JM go sign his huge deal and find a 1a back-up. 

• Thanks 1

Ekblad is going to be very expensive and cost the Canucks at least Boeser or Podkolzn and Hoglander and another top prospect the Canucks do not want to give up and furthermore the Canucks have a bad history of defenseman from the Panthers not playing well for them (Ballard, Gudbranson, Garrison). 
They are better off to replace Tanev through a trade by targeting OEL, Hjalmarsson from Arizona or Manson or try kicking the tires on Lindholm as there was rumblings at the deadline the Ducks were going to move on from one of their expensive defenseman not named Fowler to cut salary and restock their young prospect pool and I would rather have Lindholm over Ekblad as Lindholm has played in the Pacific division and only has a cap hit of $5.2 million and is 26 and would be an awesome pairing with Hughes. 

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Then why didn’t Sweeney let him offer sheet Hamilton and rub Chia pets face in it around the league a little - plus to get to a first round pick what exactly would have been their offer?  Doesn’t make sense still because for sure they match it on the low side of 4 million.   Friedman was probably hypothesizing. 

Calgary gave up a 1st + 2x 2nds.  It's more than the compensation for an offer-sheet.

Hamilton signed with Calgary a 6 year deal worth 5.75M.  The compensation for that contract would have been a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.  They got a 2nd over a 3rd.

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Calgary gave up a 1st + 2x 2nds.  It's more than the compensation for an offer-sheet.

Hamilton signed with Calgary a 6 year deal worth 5.75M.  The compensation for that contract would have been a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.  They got a 2nd over a 3rd.

First and a third I believe ... still don’t understand why they’d not keep him and move out cap.    Boston I’m sure regrets this - a cautionary tale on a bird in hand better then two in the bush .... so far those picks worked out how? 

Ekblad could break out and become a perrenial Norris candidate yet, or go the way Erik Johnson did.   Seems to be trending in the right direction and at the very least he’d be a long term solution for Edler.    If BB was the cost it would be hard to consider or do that’s for sure. 

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

trade 7 million dollar Boeser 

Who is this $7 million dollar guy?

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

First and a third I believe ... still don’t understand why they’d not keep him and move out cap.    Boston I’m sure regrets this - a cautionary tale on a bird in hand better then two in the bush .... so far those picks worked out how? 

It's the full value of the contract divided by maximum 5 years even if the contract is longer.  The picks are in the 6.9M bracket and not the 5.75M.  

Wasn't there some tension that he wanted out.  They couldn't agree on a contract and with the likelihood that he was going to sign an offer-sheet they moved him. 

Edited by mll

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

No, I rather keep rathbone and our 1st and trade 7 million dollar Boeser which we would miss but would be ok with as Ekblad would stabilize our D. Plus with Pokolzin and Hoglander knocking on the front door, we would probably be able to fill that void. Not to mention that Toffoli if signed, makes Boeser loss a bit more tolerable. If we cant sign Markstrom, we definitely need to upgrade that D this off season.

I don't want to see Boeser traded because I think it just makes our top 6 weaker again. We finally have one again after 5 years in the wilderness. 

TBH its hard to tell what Florida wants to really do from any of these reports. Looking at their roster you'd think they'd want to keep Ekblad. You only get rid of him if you're blowing it up. Other than Barkov and Huberdau, who do they really have? 

I can see why Brock would fit there, he'd be their top line RW. But is that what they want now, or are they looking to do a quick one or two year rebuild during covid? Its not clear to me what they are trying to do here. 

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Ekblad is going to be very expensive and cost the Canucks at least Boeser or Podkolzn and Hoglander and another top prospect the Canucks do not want to give up and furthermore the Canucks have a bad history of defenseman from the Panthers not playing well for them (Ballard, Gudbranson, Garrison). 
They are better off to replace Tanev through a trade by targeting OEL, Hjalmarsson from Arizona or Manson or try kicking the tires on Lindholm as there was rumblings at the deadline the Ducks were going to move on from one of their expensive defenseman not named Fowler to cut salary and restock their young prospect pool and I would rather have Lindholm over Ekblad as Lindholm has played in the Pacific division and only has a cap hit of $5.2 million and is 26 and would be an awesome pairing with Hughes. 

Garrison was in a top four role during the time he was a Canuck (and Vigneault used him & Hamhuis as their main shutdown pairing).  Was still a #4 on the playoff team Bolts for at least a season after we dealt him there before his old injury (groin?) really effected his performance.  Comparing him to the likes of Ballard or Gudbranson (I’m talking about their times as a Canuck) is an insult. 

Interesting thing for the Panthers in regards to the horrible Ballard trade.  None of the assets they got for Ballard amounted to anything.  Garbage for garbage (though it cost us valuable cap space).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

There’s no way Florida would ask for that. Florida is essentially giving up their franchise defensemen for an inconsistent scorer who can’t stay healthy and an unknown prospects. If we’re going to land Ekblad, I’m almost certain they will be asking for Hughes+. 

- Hughes, Gaudette, 1st, and Eriksson for Ekblad and a 3rd

- Sign Pietrangelo 6yrs, 8.7M

Edler - Ekblad

Pietrangelo - Myers

Juolevi/Sautner - Benn

What... The.... Hughes...???

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Tystick said:

Hmm. Ekblad?

I remember Benning wanted to draft him if we won the lottery that year.

Idk though, he's going to cost a big piece.

Do we really want to trade away a core piece?

There's a certain ex-Blues defender we could acquire for free next month.

Just saying.

Lol hes not gonna be free. Hes gonna get free agent money.

3 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Absolutely not to giving up Hughes for Ekblad, let alone adding for it.

Hughes is probably one of the most, if not the most untouchable player in the entire league.  I could see McDavid and/or Matthews being traded before Hughes.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I don't want to see Boeser traded because I think it just makes our top 6 weaker again. We finally have one again after 5 years in the wilderness. 

TBH its hard to tell what Florida wants to really do from any of these reports. Looking at their roster you'd think they'd want to keep Ekblad. You only get rid of him if you're blowing it up. Other than Barkov and Huberdau, who do they really have? 

I can see why Brock would fit there, he'd be their top line RW. But is that what they want now, or are they looking to do a quick one or two year rebuild during covid? Its not clear to me what they are trying to do here. 

It's only speculation and it doesn't even make much sense.  Zito just got hired. 1st few weeks on the job and his first step is to trade his RD1?  He probably doesn't even know the team all that well.  He also brought in his own staff.  It'd be surprising if he simply signs off on decisions before being able to make his own assessment of the situation.  

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Garrison was in a top four role during the time he was a Canuck (and Vigneault used him & Hamhuis as their main shutdown pairing).  Was still a #4 on the playoff team Bolts for at least a season after we dealt him there before his old injury (groin?) really effected his performance.  Comparing him to the likes of Ballard or Gudbranson (I’m talking about their times as a Canuck) is an insult. 

Interesting thing for the Panthers in regards to the horrible Ballard trade.  None of the assets they got for Ballard amounted to anything.  Garbage for garbage (though it cost us valuable cap space).

If Garrison was so good in Vancouver why did the Canucks get rid of him so quickly? He played 2 seasons?

All 3 failed in Vancouver and outside of Jovo, Loungo and Markstrom the Canucks never get good players from Florida in trades or FA signings because those players are not ones that can play in the hard hitting western conference type of play and they are definitely not playoff performers. Costing cap space during prime Sedin years and Kesler years cost the Canucks in 2012 and 2013 in the playoffs.

Basically we need to move some high value assets to Florida to secure a top pair D like Ekblad.  Then we need to move smaller assets to clear cap:

-Ekblad for 2021 1st, 2nd, 2022 2nd, Stecher RFA rights

-Eriksson + Virtanen to Ott for futures

-Sutter + 3rd for futures

-Sign Toffoli, Tanev, M Koivu

Miller Pettersson Toffoli

Pearson Horvat Boeser

MacEwen Koivu Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Motte

Hughes Ekblad

Edler Tanev

Joulevi Myers

Still not sure on goalie situation....