The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft a Blessing?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

18 hours ago, Monteeun said:

A question on the ed, for the Canucks, who's exempt and who needs protection?

Edit - Just doing some googling, it doesn't seem like we are at high risk of losing someone big.

We'll likely lose one of Lind, Gadjovic, or Motte. Still sucks to lose one of those guys, but we're pretty well off compared to most of the league.

22 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really liked Lind's first few games with us but thought that he became invisible in the last few (mind you i couldn't watch the two Calgary matinees).  

However, I'm big on Matthew Highmore.  He impressed me the most out of all the bottom 6 guys and he actually looked pretty good next to Bo and Pearson on the 2nd line (aka shutdown line).  

My favourite part of Lind's game were his takeaways.  He was very strong defensively in the neutral zone.  

His last few games he was playing with the third line mates that were suited for the AHL, so not a fair comparison. He is very solid defensively and will get better offensively as he gets more comfortable, he seemed to want to move the puck as soon as he received it, as he gets more comfortable with the speed at the NHL level, he'll get used to when to hold the puck and when to move it.

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

We'll likely lose one of Lind, Gadjovic, or Motte. Still sucks to lose one of those guys, but we're pretty well off compared to most of the league.

Hang on....  we're protecting 

1. Elias 

2. Bo 

3. Brock 

4. JT Miller 

5. Pearson 

Plus two guys, and Hoglander should be exempt, right?  So I think that protecting Motte should be a no brainer, with the remaining one spot to be used on either Highmore (my choice), Lind, Gadjovich or MacEwen.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Elias 

2. Bo 

3. Brock 

4. JT Miller 

5. Pearson 

Plus two guys, and Hoglander should be exempt, right?  So I think that protecting Motte should be a no brainer, with the remaining one spot to be used on either Highmore (my choice), Lind, Gadjovich or MacEwen.  

Never mind, completely forgot Dickinson... You're right @MattJVD 

1. Elias 

2. Bo 

3. Brock 

4. JT Miller 

5. Pearson 

6. Motte 

7. Dickinson 

Done deal. 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Elias 

2. Bo 

3. Brock 

4. JT Miller 

5. Pearson 

Yes, Hoglander is exempt. Likely Motte, and maybe Dickinson or Gadjovic? as other the other. I think it's likely, but not a given that Motte is protected.

Edit: you beat me to it haha

Edited by MattJVD

On 9/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, aGENT said:

I wouldn't say no chance. We could trade them some nice pieces on the agreement they select him. But it's not likely.

OMG - Really ?  Lucky loui is a Boat Anchor - no more - no less!   

P.S. Remember - Please drive responsiby - don't drive high !

• Cheers 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, aGENT said:

I wouldn't say no chance. We could trade them some nice pieces on the agreement they select him. But it's not likely.

Seattle wants to compete.  Can't do that while wasting 6 million in cap space on a 4th liner at best.  That nice piece isn't going to be a mid round pick or a b level prospect.  Better for the Canucks to just bite the bullet and suffer with LE for just more season rather than give up any meaningful assets.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG - Really ?  Lucky loui is a Boat Anchor - no more - no less!   

P.S. Remember - Please drive responsiby - don't drive high !

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seattle wants to compete.  Can't do that while wasting 6 million in cap space on a 4th liner at best.  That nice piece isn't going to be a mid round pick or a b level prospect.  Better for the Canucks to just bite the bullet and suffer with LE for just more season rather than give up any meaningful assets.

Reading comprehension there guys... I said we'd have to add some nice pieces (like say 9th OA and/or a prospect). I also said it's unlikely (for obvious reasons).

Jebus people :picard:

• Haha 1

Kraken have tons of good Goalies to choose from so odds are we’ll still have Holtby as our backup, so unfortunately Canucks probably won’t get Cap relief from Holtby going.

i think its Lind or Mac are whos going. Big Gad is too much of a work in progress imo. 

Kraken can take whoever they want and im fine with it. But if they take Mac i’ll be alittle ticked off.

6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Kraken have tons of good Goalies to choose from so odds are we’ll still have Holtby as our backup, so unfortunately Canucks probably won’t get Cap relief from Holtby going.

i think its Lind or Mac are whos going. Big Gad is too much of a work in progress imo. 

Kraken can take whoever they want and im fine with it. But if they take Mac i’ll be alittle ticked off.

Holtby will not be backing up next season.

If Seattle doesn’t take him then they’ll look at trade options. Apparently as many as 8 teams were interested.

May take some retention to get it done. But if that’s not possible then they’ll buy him out.

• Cheers 1