The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft a Blessing?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I like Jake, and feel he will put it together as an NHL’er. What I am starting to believe is that it won’t be in Vancouver. Some guys need to get passed around a little and threatened with an actual loss of a job to figure out being a true pro. Look at Zack Kassian as an example. I know he had other issues (not entirely dissimilar to Jake but I don’t know if he is into the blow or just the partying) but he was not going to improve here. The first trade sent him into a spira and the next one seemed to wake him up. Jake has too many tools not to be in the NHL but needs a change of scenery. If Seattle takes him it’s a loss, but not an insurmountable one. 

3 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I like Jake, and feel he will put it together as an NHL’er. What I am starting to believe is that it won’t be in Vancouver. Some guys need to get passed around a little and threatened with an actual loss of a job to figure out being a true pro. Look at Zack Kassian as an example. I know he had other issues (not entirely dissimilar to Jake but I don’t know if he is into the blow or just the partying) but he was not going to improve here. The first trade sent him into a spira and the next one seemed to wake him up. Jake has too many tools not to be in the NHL but needs a change of scenery. If Seattle takes him it’s a loss, but not an insurmountable one. 

At this point it might not be that much of a loss, one LE is enough on our team whose heart isn't really into it. That's a cancer that can easily go the wrong way if not checked. Vancouver has to be a place known for coming to work your ass off to have a roster spot. Not to mention if we can trade JV and someone else and maybe get a pick and save some cap space... I think that's the kind of thing JB would rather do anyway or a top 4 D.. idk, it's not like we're broke at bottom 6 forward that we can't let any go of.

Meh I believe JB has learned enough to pull something off. It's not like he came here with any GM experience but he's doing much better now.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2020 at 12:55 AM, hudsonkid said:

That's fine. We're better off keeping him. Hopefully TG will learn to use him better.

TG gives him a chance every single game.   Could try McEwen or Lind instead right?  McEwen has the most goals per sixty but whatever.   IMO TG saved his career after the damage WD did.   Just because we want JV to be the player he was drafted to be doesn’t mean he will.   It comes down to JV to put the time in - develop his skills - practice etc.   EPs dedication to his craft is top level McDavid/Crosby like - never read or hear about JV doing any extra work.   Curiously Podz also does this all the time and also wants to be the best player in the world.   When you read that it’s exciting.   Can’t wait to see.  

And really maybe his draft slot was all wrong to begin with - one WHL season and just a PPG, - there are 100 CHL players that do that to choose from each draft ... and his .5 PGP WJs and underwhelming junior playoffs stats didn’t exactly scream top line either.    Raw skills aside - if he’s never done it before maybe expectations should have been tempered from the start.    Blaming the coach doesn’t even make sense - Horvats line is often used against the leagues best.   Which is why LE gets the job more often then not.    If we had a 3rd line capable of that job maybe TG would be more willing to turn the second line into a scoring line.   JV or TT?  Not even close.   Also Horvat a similar draft slot, stuck at 18 and slowly worked his way up the depth chart ... which is usually how it works unless your like EP, QHs or BB.   JV is not like them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

TG gives him a chance every single game.   Could try McEwen or Lind instead right?  McEwen has the most goals per sixty but whatever.   IMO TG saved his career after the damage WD did.   Just because we want JV to be the player he was drafted to be doesn’t mean he will.   It comes down to JV to put the time in - develop his skills - practice etc.   EPs dedication to his craft is top level McDavid/Crosby like - never read or hear about JV doing any extra work.   Curiously Podz also does this all the time and also wants to be the best player in the world.   When you read that it’s exciting.   Can’t wait to see.  

And really maybe his draft slot was all wrong to begin with - one WHL season and just a PPG, - there are 100 CHL players that do that to choose from each draft ... and his .5 PGP WJs and underwhelming junior playoffs stats didn’t exactly scream top line either.    Raw skills aside - if he’s never done it before maybe expectations should have been tempered from the start.    Blaming the coach doesn’t even make sense - Horvats line is often used against the leagues best.   Which is why LE gets the job more often then not.    If we had a 3rd line capable of that job maybe TG would be more willing to turn the second line into a scoring line.   JV or TT?  Not even close.   Also Horvat a similar draft slot, stuck at 18 and slowly worked his way up the depth chart ... which is usually how it works unless your like EP, QHs or BB.   JV is not like them. 

He is that player now imo. Just finished a 20 goal season and looked great. One of our top players no question.

47 minutes ago, hudsonkid said:

He is that player now imo. Just finished a 20 goal season and looked great. One of our top players no question.

Seriously?  One of our top players ... Hmm.  A top player should be what - top three? Top five?  Top seven? Top ten?

Markstrom, EP, QHs, Miller, Horvat, BB, Edler, Myers, Tanev, TT, Pearson...JV.  Ok maybe Demko should be in there too.  Maybe AG too.  Did I miss anyone else?  

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Seriously?  One of our top players ... Hmm.  A top player should be what - top three? Top five?  Top seven? Top ten?

Markstrom, EP, QHs, Miller, Horvat, BB, Edler, Myers, Tanev, TT, Pearson...JV.  Ok maybe Demko should be in there too.  Maybe AG too.  Did I miss anyone else?  

Interesting. In order of guys I'd like to lose for nothing, I will go

EP, QH, Horvat, Miller, Myers, JV.

I agree Edler, Markstrom and Tanev are better players but prefer JV because of age or contract.

So I have him as our 8th best player. Ahead of Boeser at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the NHL trying to ensure the expansion team is competitive but I would have preferred a system where teams could protect their top 6 forwards, top 4 defence, and 1 goaltender as opposed to the 6 forwards/3 defence or 8 skaters and a goalie.

A team built with the 7th forward on the depth chart or 5th dman would still be relatively okay.  They wouldn't be as strong as Vegas but it really puts teams in a pickle.  I also hate the fact that Vegas is exempt.

Can someone build a mock team with the best 7th forwards and 5th dmen and backup goaltenders in the league? Would be interesting to see.

With the current free agent signings now, VAN probably protects...

7F

EP40 

Boeser

Horvat

Miller 

Gaudette

JV

Motte

3D

Myers

OJ

Rafferty 

G

Demko

Lind + Big Mac would be exposed.

Hughes is exempt.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hope Tree returns, & we dump Myers at ED(Hell, add a 2nd for the pleasure)!

Not sure on why the hate for Myers - if anything this post season shows how much the team miss him when he isn’t playing. Why have tryamkin or Myers when you can easily have both. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not sure on why the hate for Myers - if anything this post season shows how much the team miss him when he isn’t playing. Why have tryamkin or Myers when you can easily have both. 

Wouldn't call it "hate". By then we'll have gotten 2 yrs of service, & it's appreciated. But as this team is on the rise, figure we'd be better throwing that 6 mill into different areas.

Can't say where player opportunities will arise. For example, I'm sure no one called Schmidt arriving for acquisition-peanuts.

For a rebuilding team, timing lt cap-commitments is so crucial. Yet it's also a rather debatable, inexact science. We have way too much $ allotted to our lineup-depth, most would agree. Prob they didn't expect such a quick resurgence. Talents like EP & QH rocketed past projections of almost all puck(GM type) experts. But these vet contracts are off the books in 1 or 2 seasons.

One pattern I notice quite often. A team will get 75-85% towards completely revamping and/or reconstructing their roster, then they'll go & louse it up with some silly contracts. Irrational exuberance? Prob excitement from having finally turned a corner.

Whatever the reasons, the COVID thing(economic-strangulation) & expansion-planning might have actually arrived at the right time, in Van's case. At this key juncture we've been forced to plan ahead smartly,(& write up wise contracts), just as perfect pieces are being snapped into a team-jigsaw.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Something's wrong.  He just seemed lost in the playoffs. 

But something is also right when a guy is on pace for 21 goals on the third line. 

A really hard player to gauge. 

Six of his 18 did come on the PP. He is an enigma though. His poor work ethic is what's holding him back. From missed fitness targets to on ice inconsistency, it speaks volumes about his work ethic. How good could he be if he actually found the drive to be "that guy"? Horvat is where he is because of drive and commitment. He works hard to be "that guy". That drive is why Bo is a top six and a leader and it's what Jake is completely lacking to be truly valuable to the team. Those lacking commitment quickly become the expendable as a team approaches contender status. You want drive and commitment from your players. Particularly in the playoffs.