The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft a Blessing?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 29/01/2021 at 6:35 PM, Screw said:

I have said it in the past.  If JB plays his cards right he may be able to snag a defenceman.  Many a good defenceman will need to be exposed as it sits now.

The Avs and Wild come to mind as teams that are in a jam when it comes to D. Avs need to protect 3-4 of  Cale, Girard, EJ, Graves Toews, Timmins, with EJ having a full NMC. Even if they go 4-4 they still lose a good D or forward.

Wild also are in a tough spot with Dumba possibly the odd man out. Benning needs to keep that extra spot open, might be able to snag a legit top 4 D.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think if Jake is exposed, Seattle's going to take him. It's worth a gamble. He might not work out in Vancouver, but he could haunt the franchise that let him go. If he doesn't work out even in Seattle, then he can always be placed on waivers for some other team to pick him up. 

so does that mean we should keep virtanen no matter what so he can't come back and haunt us??

13 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I don't disagree and if he did get picked I'd be ok with it 

I'd only be ok with it if we pick up a top 4 from a team like the Avs who stand to lose one of Toews, Timmins or Graves. And Benning goes hard after Dougie Hamilton. Otherwise Losing Myers makes no sense given our RHD depth and the cap space we have. Especially if Seattle takes Rousel or Holtby and we buyout LE (saves 4+) and Ferland still can't play. That's like 33+ million minus whatever EP, QH and Demko cost. 

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I'd only be ok with it if we pick up a top 4 from a team like the Avs who stand to lose one of Toews, Timmins or Graves. And Benning goes hard after Dougie Hamilton. Otherwise Losing Myers makes no sense given our RHD depth and the cap space we have. Especially if Seattle takes Rousel or Holtby and we buyout LE (saves 4+) and Ferland still can't play. That's like 33+ million minus whatever EP, QH and Demko cost. 

I think EP and QH sign 2 or 3 year bridges for around 7.5 million each. With the cap remaining flat for at least one more season, possibly 2 more, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to push for maximum just yet. They will get more in the end, by signing bridge deals now.

4 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

LE isn’t getting bought out. 

Edited by UKNuck96

19 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning will never allow it he would trade him or protect him IMO

Protected list if no trade

Boeser 

Horvat 

Miller

Petey

Gaud 

Virtanen

Motte

Myers 

Schmidt 

OJ

Demko

possible picks Who would you take.

Holtby

Chatfield 

Rafferaty

Beagle

Roussel

From your list, I'd take Chatfield.

Looking at the roster

I believe Canucks will protect

7+3+1

Forwards Protected 

Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Miller.

3 out of 4 below will be protected leaving one exposed. 

Forwards = one of Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette and Macewan will be exposed

Defence= one of Chatfield or Juolevi (Schmidt and Myers protected) Edler = FA, Hughes exempt

I personally think we'll lose a forward

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think this coming expansion draft, we're sitting in good position.

Protected Forwards:

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Motte

Gaudette

Pettersson

Lind

Expose forwards:

Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Jasek, Palmu, MacEwen, Gadjovich

Any of those guys, are replaceable. Virtanen is rapidly playing his way off this team, still only engages every 7th or 8th game. I think Lind, currently projects higher than Virtanen does.

Hoglander etc, are exempt from selection

Protected Defense:

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

Expose Defense:

Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner, Teves, Chatfield

I like how Chatfield plays, but I don't think we're at risk of losing someone at defense

Hughes, of course, is exempt

Protect Demko in goal

Expose Holtby

Everyone I haven't listed here, are on expiring contracts, so Seattle isn't going to pick them anyway unless they are sure that they can resign them.

Based on who is exposed, I would guess that Seattle either takes Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen or Holtby. At this point, all can be replaced from within, or from the massive list of free agents who will be available this coming summer.

If I was JB, I would hope that they take Holtby as it would allow us to clear the 4.3 million and bring in someone a little cheaper, in case DiPietro isn't ready to step into a backup role. What I might be willing to do, is offer them a 2nd round draft pick in 2022 or 2023, to take Eriksson off our hands, avoiding our need to buy him out. Seattle might consider this as it is likely, like Vegas, that they will load up on draft picks from teams, to give them leverage in going after RFA's that other teams don't have the cap space to sign, this coming summer. I may also be willing to give them a 4th or 5th rounder to take Roussel.

Any way that you look at this, we are in generally good position.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I think this coming expansion draft, we're sitting in good position.

Protected Forwards:

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Motte

Gaudette

Pettersson

Lind

Expose forwards:

Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Jasek, Palmu, MacEwen, Gadjovich

Any of those guys, are replaceable. Virtanen is rapidly playing his way off this team, still only engages every 7th or 8th game. I think Lind, currently projects higher than Virtanen does.

Hoglander etc, are exempt from selection

Protected Defense:

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

Expose Defense:

Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner, Teves, Chatfield

I like how Chatfield plays, but I don't think we're at risk of losing someone at defense

Hughes, of course, is exempt

Protect Demko in goal

Expose Holtby

Everyone I haven't listed here, are on expiring contracts, so Seattle isn't going to pick them anyway unless they are sure that they can resign them.

Based on who is exposed, I would guess that Seattle either takes Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen or Holtby. At this point, all can be replaced from within, or from the massive list of free agents who will be available this coming summer.

If I was JB, I would hope that they take Holtby as it would allow us to clear the 4.3 million and bring in someone a little cheaper, in case DiPietro isn't ready to step into a backup role. What I might be willing to do, is offer them a 2nd round draft pick in 2022 or 2023, to take Eriksson off our hands, avoiding our need to buy him out. Seattle might consider this as it is likely, like Vegas, that they will load up on draft picks from teams, to give them leverage in going after RFA's that other teams don't have the cap space to sign, this coming summer. I may also be willing to give them a 4th or 5th rounder to take Roussel.

Any way that you look at this, we are in generally good position.

as has been mentioned a few places, we'd need to extend one of Benn or Hamonic for this plan to work (or Chatfield plays 18 more games which I kind of hope he doesn't, I want to see Juolevi get the minutes) but thats certainly do-able.

This is the list I'd pick too, assuming we don't move off Gaudette at some point. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as has been mentioned a few places, we'd need to extend one of Benn or Hamonic for this plan to work (or Chatfield plays 18 more games which I kind of hope he doesn't, I want to see Juolevi get the minutes) but thats certainly do-able.

This is the list I'd pick too, assuming we don't move off Gaudette at some point. 

Based on how Benn is playing this season, I'd be open to extending him for another year, but probably close to 1.25 - 1.5 million per season.

Next year, I see our defense essentially (and not in any specific pairings) as:

Hughes (7.5 million bridge) Myers (6 million)

Edler (3 million) Schmidt (5.95 milloin)

Tryamkin (2.5 - 3 million) Juolevi (950k bridge)

7th options, Benn 1.25 million, Chatfield 850k (have been impressed by him so far), Brisebois 700k

I think Edler will try and go for one more season. If not, I can see us trying to make a deal for another defense.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Based on how Benn is playing this season, I'd be open to extending him for another year, but probably close to 1.25 - 1.5 million per season.

Next year, I see our defense essentially (and not in any specific pairings) as:

Hughes (7.5 million bridge) Myers (6 million)

Edler (3 million) Schmidt (5.95 milloin)

Tryamkin (2.5 - 3 million) Juolevi (950k bridge)

7th options, Benn 1.25 million, Chatfield 850k (have been impressed by him so far), Brisebois 700k

I think Edler will try and go for one more season. If not, I can see us trying to make a deal for another defense.

I'd like to see Edler back too. It will be a over 35 contract tho... they stink. But if we could extend him before his birthday in April and he makes it known he wouldn't play if picked by Seattle then maybe we can leave him unprotected if he's extended now. Chances are it happens post-expansion tho.

I think Benn gets 2 mil, given he's agreeing to be expansion fodder.

Looking at that list tho - one RHD.... makes me wonder if Jim would let Edler walk in favour of going after Hamilton? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But if we could extend him before his birthday in April and he makes it known he wouldn't play if picked by Seattle then maybe we can leave him unprotected if he's extended now

It was wrong when Toronto and Spezza did it, it would be wrong for the Canucks.

Either retire, or go were they send you.

Other option is wait till after the expansion draft then sign with the team, of his choice.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

It was wrong when Toronto and Spezza did it, it would be wrong for the Canucks.

Either retire, or go were they send you.

Other option is wait till after the expansion draft then sign with the team, of his choice.

why was it wrong?

1 minute ago, gurn said:

If you have a signed NHL contract you should honour it or retire. Not tell people do it my way or I'm taking my marbles and going home.

huh. I honestly don't see the issue. Edlers earned the right to play where he wants to, and to play his entire career in one place. By extending him now it does his team a favour and by letting Seattle know its a no-go they don't waste their pick on him. No one loses.