Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft a Blessing?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh. I honestly don't see the issue. Edlers earned the right to play where he wants to, and to play his entire career in one place. By extending him now it does his team a favour and by letting Seattle know its a no-go they don't waste their pick on him. No one loses. 

Just the rules, and watch the league drop another tonne of bricks on the team for "circumvention."

Edler as a free agent, has earned the right to sign where he wants, Edler, already signed to a contract, without a NTC or NMC, should go where he is sent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just the rules, and watch the league drop another tonne of bricks on the team for "circumvention."

Edler as a free agent, has earned the right to sign where he wants, Edler, already signed to a contract, without a NTC or NMC, should go where he is sent.

but its not cap circumvention. E.g., sign Eddy to a new 4 mil extension, with 3 mil in Jul 1 signing bonus. That right there should be enough of a threat for Seattle not to pick him up, he could simply walk from the last million. The local talking heads could make a big deal out of Eddy's likelihood of walking if he's picked, no one on the team needs to say anything. 

 

Other teams use the media to their benefit, why not us? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Provost said:

The two biggest upcoming tasks for whoever is the Canucks GM at the end of the season.

 

1.  Sign Hughes and Petterson to reasonable contracts

2.  Use our excess expansion protection slots on defence and relatively cheaply acquire at least two D that teams would otherwise lose in expansion for nothing. We have one defenceman who really needs protecting.... Schmidt.  That means we have two slots we can use to pick up and protect guys.  Myers Dan be exposed and if Seattle picked him up, he is replaceable on the market.  Juolevi is worth protecting if we happen to have an open slot, but he could certainly be upgraded on with the 4th best D on many teams who can’t be protected.
 

We can replace half our top 4 in one fell swoop.

 

This is absurd. You protect Juolevi, period. 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but its not cap circumvention. E.g., sign Eddy to a new 4 mil extension, with 3 mil in Jul 1 signing bonus. That right there should be enough of a threat for Seattle not to pick him up, he could simply walk from the last million. The local talking heads could make a big deal out of Eddy's likelihood of walking if he's picked, no one on the team needs to say anything. 

 

Other teams use the media to their benefit, why not us? 

Giving Eddie a high signing bonus laden contract is fine. Signing that deal then saying " Don't pick me Seattle, or I'll quit" is bush league crap.

The NHL won't care what the media says; if it comes out that the team had anything to do with a "don't pick him he'll retire" plan, the team will get royally screwed, again.

Easier to let the expansion draft come and go, then sign Edler to a 1 year $4.5-5  mill deal.

 

I'd like Edler here next year and then another 1 year deal after that, but at his age I'd not be signing anything over a year at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see Edler back too. It will be a over 35 contract tho... they stink. But if we could extend him before his birthday in April and he makes it known he wouldn't play if picked by Seattle then maybe we can leave him unprotected if he's extended now. Chances are it happens post-expansion tho.

 

I think Benn gets 2 mil, given he's agreeing to be expansion fodder.

 

Looking at that list tho - one RHD.... makes me wonder if Jim would let Edler walk in favour of going after Hamilton? 

I don't think Edler would ever sign anywhere but here, I think if we just keep him on a year to year moving forward and let him tell us when he's done.

 

Would love to go after Hamilton, if he's available, one option to do that would be to try and flip either Schmidt or Myers to Seattle for a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make the space.

 

Bring in Hamilton and Tryamkin and we're looking pretty big and solid on D for the next few years.

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see Edler back too. It will be a over 35 contract tho... they stink. But if we could extend him before his birthday in April and he makes it known he wouldn't play if picked by Seattle then maybe we can leave him unprotected if he's extended now. Chances are it happens post-expansion tho.

 

I think Benn gets 2 mil, given he's agreeing to be expansion fodder.

 

Looking at that list tho - one RHD.... makes me wonder if Jim would let Edler walk in favour of going after Hamilton? 

Benn should walk and promote from within or etc.   Imo, Edler stays if he takes a big discount.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gurn said:

Giving Eddie a high signing bonus laden contract is fine. Signing that deal then saying " Don't pick me Seattle, or I'll quit" is bush league crap.

The NHL won't care what the media says; if it comes out that the team had anything to do with a "don't pick him he'll retire" plan, the team will get royally screwed, again.

Easier to let the expansion draft come and go, then sign Edler to a 1 year $4.5-5  mill deal.

 

I'd like Edler here next year and then another 1 year deal after that, but at his age I'd not be signing anything over a year at a time.

Good point about the one year deals for Edler cause that should keep him motivated to maintain a high level of play if he continously has to play for a contract....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good point about the one year deals for Edler cause that should keep him motivated to maintain a high level of play if he continously has to play for a contract....

Oh yah, there's no way they sign him for more than one year at a time.  And knowing Edler, there's no way he re-signs anywhere else either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we agree that Seattle can take as many of our exposed players as they want?

 

That would indeed be a blessing.  As it stands they probably take a guy like Lind  or someone who is on an expiring contract and won’t do us any favours by taking real money off our hands.

 

With the way the market it depressed and money will still be tight, it would be far smarter of Seattle to not take on any more big money contracts than they are required to.  They can actually accrue a bunch of assets by having 30 million in cap space available to “rescue” teams that are tight against the cap post expansion.  What would Tampa give them to offload one or two of Johnson/Palat/Killorn?  They are $3.5 million over the cap already with only 15 players signed.  What would Vancouver give to ditch the last year of Eriksson’s contract?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BPA said:

I think Chatfield still needs to play 18 games to eligible to be exposed in the expansion draft.

18 games to be eligible to be one of our guys still under contract next year - we have to expose one of Myers or Schmidt otherwise.   He will be exposed regardless.   But yes absolutely.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Benn should walk and promote from within or etc.   Imo, Edler stays if he takes a big discount.

the Benn extension would just be to meet expansion requirements. It could also be Hamonic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, Provost said:

The two biggest upcoming tasks for whoever is the Canucks GM at the end of the season.

 

1.  Sign Hughes and Petterson to reasonable contracts

2.  Use our excess expansion protection slots on defence and relatively cheaply acquire at least two D that teams would otherwise lose in expansion for nothing. We have one defenceman who really needs protecting.... Schmidt.  That means we have two slots we can use to pick up and protect guys.  Myers Dan be exposed and if Seattle picked him up, he is replaceable on the market.  Juolevi is worth protecting if we happen to have an open slot, but he could certainly be upgraded on with the 4th best D on many teams who can’t be protected.
 

We can replace half our top 4 in one fell swoop.

 

You're asking for creativity and shrewdness out of a GM that has showed next to none in about 7 years.

 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:41 PM, BarnBurner said:

This is absurd. You protect Juolevi, period. 

Not if you can find a better D-man on the trade market, as he suggested.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 2:41 PM, BarnBurner said:

This is absurd. You protect Juolevi, period. 

I agree.

 

Yes, technically you could probably 'upgrade' him in the short term. But long term, I'm not so sure. And you'd also likely be spending more cap on this 'upgrade'

 

We're better off just keeping and protecting him IMO.

 

Besides, finding one suitable trade to potentially get a younger/cheaper Myers will be hard enough. A second trade to upgrade Juolevi as well is unlikely IMO.

 

10 hours ago, Provost said:

That would indeed be a blessing.  As it stands they probably take a guy like Lind  or someone who is on an expiring contract and won’t do us any favours by taking real money off our hands.

 

At this point, I might protect Lind and Motte over our other options...

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Holtby is the obvious pick...Juolevi is/will be a stud...

Unless he improves over the rest of this season I fail to see why Seattle would select him.  Having a save percentage of less than 0.900 is pretty mediocre.  Maybe Ian Clark (when the team actually has the practice time) can work his 'magic' on him (not really time for him to work with him much during this pandemic).  Not sure what happened to his game as I don't follow the Capitals....but wasn't he playing at the level of Vezina like a bunch of years ago?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 1:41 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Based on how Benn is playing this season, I'd be open to extending him for another year, but probably close to 1.25 - 1.5 million per season.

 

Next year, I see our defense essentially (and not in any specific pairings) as:

 

Hughes (7.5 million bridge) Myers (6 million)

Edler (3 million) Schmidt (5.95 milloin)

Tryamkin (2.5 - 3 million) Juolevi (950k bridge)

 

7th options, Benn 1.25 million, Chatfield 850k (have been impressed by him so far), Brisebois 700k

 

I think Edler will try and go for one more season. If not, I can see us trying to make a deal for another defense.

 

If Iam a GM and unless the player is a generational talent, any player above thirty would only get signed to a max 2yr ... 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unless he improves over the rest of this season I fail to see why Seattle would select him.  Having a save percentage of less than 0.900 is pretty mediocre.  Maybe Ian Clark (when the team actually has the practice time) can work his 'magic' on him (not really time for him to work with him much during this pandemic).  Not sure what happened to his game as I don't follow the Capitals....but wasn't he playing at the level of Vezina like a bunch of years ago?

Holtby is going to be just fine and I expect he will be the guy taken...

 

As for Juolevi....for those people who look at the TV while the game is on but can't actually see what is going on...which is many of you...

 

Oli has been our best D. for more than a few games now...he is the only D. that hasn't made a glaring error leading to a goal against.

 

Oli has been preventing goals by getting his stick on pucks in the crease...by creative coverage of whoever he is checking...by excellent outlet passes.

 

....by being in the right place at the right time...

 

Oli has hit posts and been unlucky around the other teams net...he should have 3-5 goals  instead of just one.

 

Oli is going to keep getting better... QH is our only other D. currently on the team that is getting better...all the vets are going downhill now.

 

Trading Oli now is the DUMBEST thing Benning could do....period

 

Oh....and ....

 

Just watch....!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...