The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion Draft a Blessing?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Holtby is going to be just fine and I expect he will be the guy taken...

As for Juolevi....for those people who look at the TV while the game is on but can't actually see what is going on...which is many of you...

Oli has been our best D. for more than a few games now...he is the only D. that hasn't made a glaring error leading to a goal against.

in terms of not making mistakes, that could very well be. 

Oli has been preventing goals by getting his stick on pucks in the crease...by creative coverage of whoever he is checking...by excellent outlet passes.

....by being in the right place at the right time...

he's been beaten a few times on plays, but show my any d man that isn't from time to time. What I love is how experienced he looks right now. 

Oli has hit posts and been unlucky around the other teams net...he should have 3-5 goals  instead of just one.

this seems to be where he's had the least amount of success, but he seems to get more confident to jump in at the right times as we go along here. I suspect this side of this game could take a couple of more years to develop and thats just fine. 

Oli is going to keep getting better... QH is our only other D. currently on the team that is getting better...all the vets are going downhill now.

Trading Oli now is the DUMBEST thing Benning could do....period

yes it would 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Provost said:

The two biggest upcoming tasks for whoever is the Canucks GM at the end of the season.

1.  Sign Hughes and Petterson to reasonable contracts

2.  Use our excess expansion protection slots on defence and relatively cheaply acquire at least two D that teams would otherwise lose in expansion for nothing. We have one defenceman who really needs protecting.... Schmidt.  That means we have two slots we can use to pick up and protect guys.  Myers Dan be exposed and if Seattle picked him up, he is replaceable on the market.  Juolevi is worth protecting if we happen to have an open slot, but he could certainly be upgraded on with the 4th best D on many teams who can’t be protected.

We can replace half our top 4 in one fell swoop.

I agree with to top points, but disagree that Myers is replaceable on the market. Not this year - nobody is left and Hamilton is a pipe dream.   RHD in Myers area - simply don't become available that often.   Only three years left on his deal, maybe, if we are very lucky, another guy like him will be available - and if we get him we'd quite likely be the highest bidder. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

As for Juolevi....for those people who look at the TV while the game is on but can't actually see what is going on...which is many of you...

Oli has been our best D. for more than a few games now...he is the only D. that hasn't made a glaring error leading to a goal against.

Oli has been preventing goals by getting his stick on pucks in the crease...by creative coverage of whoever he is checking...by excellent outlet passes.

Oli has hit posts and been unlucky around the other teams net...he should have 3-5 goals  instead of just one.

Oli is going to keep getting better... QH is our only other D. currently on the team that is getting better...all the vets are going downhill now.

Oh....and ....

Just watch....!

... he's been doing well for a rookie.

But he is not our best defenceman. Thats a silly comment, and its these kind of knee jerk comments that make this fanbase so unbearable sometimes. You're allowed to say a player is doing well, but nope. They're either the greatest or they should be traded for a bag of garbage.

And speaking of watching games, right now it looks highly unlikely Seattle would take Holtby with his 1 year remaining, because you see - they hire people to look at teams and players objectively for value and worth, and there will be goaltenders on longer terms than Holtby, who is half of one of the statistically worst goaltending duos in the whole league right now.

Oh.......... and...................

Just............ watch................    !

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Oh....and ....

Just watch....!

Dont hold your breathe and despite JBs' growing pain he has brought in great foundational pieces in to the fold that benefits the team in the longterm.  During this ED, it will be interesting to see what JB and his team will be doing...

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be okay with how this one's timed. My preference is they protect as many of the young-eligibles as they can. Don't want to give away Lind or Gadj.

Unless there's meteoric-improvement, exposing JV or AG is pretty ho-hum.

If one of Schmidt or Myers gets nabbed, okay by me. Want the big Russian back on the blue.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was just scrolling through the Toffoli(poss signing) thread, & folks were discussing contracts for various players, & of course, the 'tenders. Thinking it over this question popped up. Is the timing of all this a blessing?

Comparisons are inevitable; for instance, today's tandem vs the Lu & Schneids endless debate. Maybe the knowledge of an oncoming ED is beneficial? Applies to all teams, & this 'deadline' prompts a GM to get his *ss in gear & be decisive. When coupled with the COVID-mayhem, this is when all GM's will have to get out there & work like diligent farmers, as opposed to shady lawyers in discrete rooms.

We've got a young team, with many key assets not even requiring protection. We could make a deal or two(of value-heightened youth) to obtain a strong(protection-required piece) that a rival team perhaps can't cover.

We came outa' the last ED smellin' like a rose. Not worried about this one either. In fact, the timing might be good for our young cast on the rise.

As "plannless " as people think Benning is , I think he has thought this through and will come out well on the other side. I agree, this could be an opportunity for us. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2021 at 2:28 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

We'll be okay with how this one's timed. My preference is they protect as many of the young-eligibles as they can. Don't want to give away Lind or Gadj.

Unless there's meteoric-improvement, exposing JV or AG is pretty ho-hum.

If one of Schmidt or Myers gets nabbed, okay by me. Want the big Russian back on the blue.

Unfortunately it's too easy for Tree to just become a UFA and thumb his nose to the team that drafted him.   It's a heck of a lot harder to replace both Schmidt and Myers, and a big stretch to think Tryamkin is going to come in and outplay either player as well.   At least that's how i see it. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, IBatch said:

Unfortunately it's too easy for Tree to just become a UFA and thumb his nose to the team that drafted him.   It's a heck of a lot harder to replace both Schmidt and Myers, and a big stretch to think Tryamkin is going to come in and outplay either player as well.   At least that's how i see it. 

This player(NT) is the one looming disappointment of 2021, imho.

But this Kraken-call is no big deal at all. As I stated back last Sept with this thread, there's prob more opportunity with an ED, than potential-liability for our young cast.

• Cheers 1

On 3/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, cuporbust said:

As "plannless " as people think Benning is , I think he has thought this through and will come out well on the other side. I agree, this could be an opportunity for us. 

I'm sure some will lament we didn't pull another rabbit out like last year with Schmidt - as top pairing LHD/RHD in his prime at a fair cap hit for a third doesn't come around often... but one thing JB did was stage his contracts to keep our D safe.   Finishing touch at the TDL the only thing i was concerned about was having to expose Schmidt or Myers.   Our cap issues have nothing to do what we spend our D for now. 

• 1 month later...

It isn’t impossible that Seattle takes Edler or Hamonic just so they don’t have to take on a contract they don’t need… with no intention of actually signing them.  That would actually be my bet at this point… no point in taking one of our young players who they would just have to expose on waivers after training camp anyways.

It could also be a little way to needle us by now longer being able to extend those guys before free agency and even trading their rights before we get a crack at signing them.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

It isn’t impossible that Seattle takes Edler or Hamonic just so they don’t have to take on a contract they don’t need… with no intention of actually signing them.

It could also be a little way to needle us by now longer being able to extend those guys before free agency and even trading their rights before we get a crack at signing them.

Edler only wants to play for the Canucks. Doubt he would sign with them.

If they can sign Hamonic good for them. It likely means he wasn’t interested in our offer.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

It isn’t impossible that Seattle takes Edler or Hamonic just so they don’t have to take on a contract they don’t need… with no intention of actually signing them.  That would actually be my bet at this point… no point in taking one of our young players who they would just have to expose on waivers after training camp anyways.

Seattle doesn't have an AHL team next season.  They have an agreement to send players to the Charlotte Checkers (Florida) where they have to provide 8 to 12 players.  Drafted players are often too young to be sent to the AHL.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, IBatch said:

I agree with to top points, but disagree that Myers is replaceable on the market. Not this year - nobody is left and Hamilton is a pipe dream.   RHD in Myers area - simply don't become available that often.   Only three years left on his deal, maybe, if we are very lucky, another guy like him will be available - and if we get him we'd quite likely be the highest bidder. 

Or we can draft roman schmidt who might be ready when myers deal runs out lol

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Seattle doesn't have an AHL team next season.  They have an agreement to send players to the Charlotte Checkers (Florida) where they have to provide 8 to 12 players.  Drafted players are often too young to be sent to the AHL.

Anyone that would be eligible to be exposed would also be subject to waivers so we could just get them back.

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler only wants to play for the Canucks. Doubt he would sign with them.

If they can sign Hamonic good for them. It likely means he wasn’t interested in our offer.

Edler has said that he intends on playing next year no matter what... not that he would only play for the Canucks.

Also, what I posted was that Seattle could pick them with no intention of actually signing them.  Simply to avoid taking on a contract.  

It would mess with us as we would no longer own those rights to extend before UFA and having to compete on the open market.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Can't imagine them passing on Lind and taking nothing instead.

Hoping we acquire a center and D-man on the cheap that other teams are going to be struggling to protect before the draft. We need to weaponize our protection slots instead of using them to protect 4th liners (or worse).

4 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Can't imagine them passing on Lind and taking nothing instead.

Hoping we acquire a center and D-man on the cheap that other teams are going to be struggling to protect before the draft. We need to weaponize our protection slots instead of using them to protect 4th liners (or worse).

if all we lose is Lind thats great. 

But this whole "weaponize" thing, wth is that? how do you force another team to trade a guy to you? 

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Edler has said that he intends on playing next year no matter what... not that he would only play for the Canucks.

Also, what I posted was that Seattle could pick them with no intention of actually signing them.  Simply to avoid taking on a contract.  

It would mess with us as we would no longer own those rights to extend before UFA and having to compete on the open market.

The problem with your scenario is that Seattle has to sign them in order to have them considered as a pick.