The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes loses Calder

Rate this topic

grandmaster

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have heard the radio guys ask a lot of their guests who they would want out of the three young elite D and every one of them said Makar, even the ones who said they would have voted for Hughes as the Calder winner this year.

We don't have to get upset that there are other great young players out there or that it minimizes the fact Hughes is already the best defenceman that has ever been on the team.

For sure.   It’s been close to 40 years since I’ve seen this sort of young D talent take the league by storm.   Heiskanen, Dahlin, Hughes and Makar - what a great time to be hockey fans.   Coffey’s comparisons have been made to Heiskanen this playoffs - he’s just that good skating effortlessly with the puck ... Dahlin didn’t disappoint as an 18 year old ...  Makar shot from the middle of the top 100 best prospects right to near the top before the season started and also came as advertised - and Hughes blew expectations out of the water with his record breaking post season.   Best thing is we have one of these crazy good players on our team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

the way i look  at it is Hughes was played on all four lines to help the lines out, Makar played solely with MacKinnon,  who helped their team the most and that would be Hughes, but its done and i am sure Hughes will keep making history he is that good!

This is exactly what somebody who's never seen Makar play would say.

Both are fantastic young players and already stars in the NHL.  Only one of them could've won it.  Let's just enjoy their careers, it's going to be fun to watch both of them for a long time.

Edited by Bang Bang Boogie
  • Cheers 1

Nothing wrong with finishing 2nd in the vote for Calder. 

Both players were fantastic choices....   2  future hall of famers....

Makar is a year older so pretty amazing for Hughes to be that close....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Huggy Bear 1

Oh my god people.  This thread reaks so much of homerism that its embarrassing.  Did i actually see one poster say Hughes can be the best player in the NHL?   I understand this city is desperate for an elite dman but the fans need to put the breaks on hyping Hughes into something hes not. Makar was a force everytime he stepped on the ice.  He had the better year and defends better than Hughes will ever be able to.  

• Wat 2

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

He did, but the analytics favor Quinn. QoC, oZone/dZone starts, shot metrics, etc. I thought it might give Quinn a bit of an edge.

Makar scored more goals, a higher ppg average, and was +12 to Quinns -10. I'm not the least surprised Makar won. Production almost always determines the winner.

Just now, Baggins said:

Makar scored more goals, a higher ppg average, and was +12 to Quinns -10. I'm not the least surprised Makar won. Production almost always determines the winner.

I never denied the raw totals favoured Makar. I said the analytics and the impact the player had on their team (IMO) favour Hughes. 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Oh my god people.  This thread reaks so much of homerism that its embarrassing.  Did i actually see one poster say Hughes can be the best player in the NHL?   I understand this city is desperate for an elite dman but the fans need to put the breaks on hyping Hughes into something hes not. Makar was a force everytime he stepped on the ice.  He had the better year and defends better than Hughes will ever be able to.  

That's a stupid thing to say.

If the comment that Hughes can be the best player in the NHL is so embarrassing, then your claim that Makar defends better than Hughes will ever be able to is on par, if not even more embarrassing. How do you know? You've been to the future? 

Makar didn't look great on that goal he served up against Dallas. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Maybe - that said Makar only had 13% 

more voting points then QHs, one of the closer Calder’s the last few decades.   Can get that we all watched QHs a lot more then Makar - they were leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else in their class.    Saying he will defend better then QHs will ever be able too is going a little further then you need too.   Like a lot of folks you have to wonder if the roles were reversed and they were on opposite teams, would QHs have taken this one home.    They are both incredible talents. 

• Cheers 2