The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes loses Calder

Rate this topic

grandmaster

4 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

I think this is really a slap to face for Brock Boeser, and Connor McDavid. They were injured during their rookie year and didn’t win the Calder. 
Cale was injured and still won it.

Ridiculous logic to me.  McDavid missed almost half the season, so the sample size was just too small.  Boeser missed a big chunk and was out scored by 30 points and even in PPG by Barzal (who deserved to win).  Even if you extrapolated Boeser’s numbers to a full season, he doesn’t come close to Barzal.

Hughes had just 3 more points and 4 less goals than Makar who played 11 less games.

I would have voted for Hughes, but Makar is a legitimate winner and came in with a bigger name.  Using terms like “slap in the face” and “robbed” are genuinely just ridiculous.  Makar is a deserving winner, and Hughes would have been.

• Huggy Bear 2

4 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

I think this is really a slap to face for Brock Boeser, and Connor McDavid. They were injured during their rookie year and didn’t win the Calder. 
Cale was injured and still won it.

Or Patrik Laine, who lost to Auston Matthews even though he had more points per game. How appropriate that Eastern media decided it mattered more to be able to prove you can stay healthy that year, and this year it was more about PPG.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was Murat Ates who gave a first-place vote to Adam Fox.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUV95kCzXunhJgyQP4Qi4TwsR7kB4Oy9/view

Now I understand why the writers had different opinions. They're not completely out to lunch.

Adam Fox (defenseman) was producing a lot of points on a terrible NYR team. Dominik Kubilik's first NHL season was a 30 goal season. I think Makar was the correct choice in general, but an argument definitely could be made for Quinn.

Offensively Makar was better. Defensively Makar was better. Physically Makar was better. Makar is an all around player and the only chance Quinn had was to outscore him which he really didn't do when you look at the games played. Hughes had a great year but Makar was better. The only reason this was as close as it was is because of Makars injury.

Edited by peaches5

I am a huge fan of Quinn Hughes.  I think he is going to be our best D ever, and have his jersey retired one day.  He had a ridiculous rookie season, one of the best ever by a D.

Makar is also all of those things to Colorado.  He was very deserving, it could have gone either way. 

Hughes was not robbed, he lost a close vote against another stud D.

This doesn't take anything away from Hughes season.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Ridiculous logic to me.  McDavid missed almost half the season, so the sample size was just too small.  Boeser missed a big chunk and was out scored by 30 points and even in PPG by Barzal (who deserved to win).  Even if you extrapolated Boeser’s numbers to a full season, he doesn’t come close to Barzal.

Hughes had just 3 more points and 4 less goals than Makar who played 11 less games.

I would have voted for Hughes, but Makar is a legitimate winner and came in with a bigger name.  Using terms like “slap in the face” and “robbed” are genuinely just ridiculous.  Makar is a deserving winner, and Hughes would have been.

Well there are a few other considerations favoring Makar other than ppg. Per 60 minutes Makar also outhit Hughes, had more takeaways, fewer giveaways, and blocked more shots. While averaging slightly lower ice per game. It's not that Hughes wouldn't have been a good choice to win, overall Makar was the better choice. As I said earlier, I expected Makar to win. I don't think the decision had to do with having the bigger name given their stats, but I agree it doesn't fall under the robbery label. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I was more surprised that he didn't get few more first place votes. He was pretty noticeable playing in the all-star game. 

I'm not saying Makar was the wrong  choice for Calder, I just expected more votes for Hughes. 

That being said, I hope he uses this as motivation to dominate the league next year. 

My bias is that age must be the primary tie breaker in a close contest. Hughes is 12 months younger than Makar and therefore should be the winner. I also think that what Rasmus Dahlin did when he was 18 was more impressive than what Hughes and Makar did in their 20's

Edited by Maddogy