The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes loses Calder

Rate this topic

grandmaster

Too bad these awards are so focused on offensive production.

So much more to the game than scoring, goals and assists. There are two sides of the puck/rink. 

Since the debate in here seems to be about scoring, all the while talking who is the best Dman of the two, I’ll ask who is the better defensive Dman of the two. 

Who would you want defending in a critical game 7 moment on a 6 on 5 against, Makar or Hughes?

Who is better at actually playing D? 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Too bad these awards are so focused on offensive production.

So much more to the game than scoring, goals and assists. There are two sides of the puck/rink. 

Since the debate in here seems to be about scoring, all the while talking who is the best Dman of the two, I’ll ask who is the better defensive Dman of the two. 

Who would you want defending in a critical game 7 moment on a 6 on 5 against, Makar or Hughes?

Who is better at actually playing D? 

The Hockey Guy sums it up well .....

https://youtu.be/ubu8rrrBRRI

• Upvote 1

Calder trophy or any other trophy for being best at something is overrated.  It's a nice bonus to see someone on the team win any trophy as a recognition by the wide audience.  It's like a popularity beauty contest to see who is best when they do not watch other teams except for highlights and make determination on who is the best at each category.  It's virtually impossible to watch every players' ice time to determine the best overall player at each category.  Even if Quinn wins the Calder trophy, it's still overrated trophy based on the votes which is a flaw anyways based on lucked out falling on a good team as an example does not reflect other rookies' value on a bad team.  

The only individual trophy that matters are the stats reflected trophy where it requires no votes are Art Ross Trophy, Maurice Rocket Trophy, not voting based trophy like Vezina, Norris, Hart and even Calder.    It's opinion-based trophy.

5 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Calder trophy or any other trophy for being best at something is overrated.  It's a nice bonus to see someone on the team win any trophy as a recognition by the wide audience.  It's like a popularity beauty contest to see who is best when they do not watch other teams except for highlights and make determination on who is the best at each category.  It's virtually impossible to watch every players' ice time to determine the best overall player at each category.  Even if Quinn wins the Calder trophy, it's still overrated trophy based on the votes which is a flaw anyways based on lucked out falling on a good team as an example does not reflect other rookies' value on a bad team.  

The only individual trophy that matters are the stats reflected trophy where it requires no votes are Art Ross Trophy, Maurice Rocket Trophy, not voting based trophy like Vezina, Norris, Hart and even Calder.    It's opinion-based 

These trophies were all created before participation ribbons were commonplace and given out practically when any activity was done satisfactory.    Yes they do matter.   It’s democratic, effectively removing bias especially in today’s age when anyone can find out who voted for who (Adam Fox !  Really?!! Ha ha).    The Art Ross does matter,  the Richard less so but still an accomplishment - and it’s a way to track the legacies of players.   A lot of players get Hart and Norris votes that don’t win, we did this year, even a Selke vote for Miller.   The system is actually very good, only those professional enough to be recognized get to vote, and for some they list their top five picks for enough variation to make it a very legitimate process.   Invalidating the other trophies because it’s not as tangible as the Art Ross is kind of funny - I’m sure given the chance most players would prefer the Hart, Norris or Lyndsay. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

These trophies were all created before participation ribbons were commonplace and given out practically when any activity was done satisfactory.    Yes they do matter.   It’s democratic, effectively removing bias especially in today’s age when anyone can find out who voted for who (Adam Fox !  Really?!! Ha ha).    The Art Ross does matter,  the Richard less so but still an accomplishment - and it’s a way to track the legacies of players.   A lot of players get Hart and Norris votes that don’t win, we did this year, even a Selke vote for Miller.   The system is actually very good, only those professional enough to be recognized get to vote, and for some they list their top five picks for enough variation to make it a very legitimate process.   Invalidating the other trophies because it’s not as tangible as the Art Ross is kind of funny - I’m sure given the chance most players would prefer the Hart, Norris or Lyndsay. 

I agree that it's for the show and matter to those players when it comes to any performance bonuses for rookies or use that as a leverage for their next contract.  From my own personal opinion, it doesn't really matter, it's just a show for made for fans.  Here is what I have noticed, NBA, NFL, Baseball doesn't have a TV show called the Award Show that NHL typically holds every year on TV.  MLB, NFL, and even NBA announce the season ending award without any fanfare with press release of the result on their sportscaster show.  

6 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I agree that it's for the show and matter to those players when it comes to any performance bonuses for rookies or use that as a leverage for their next contract.  From my own personal opinion, it doesn't really matter, it's just a show for made for fans.  Here is what I have noticed, NBA, NFL, Baseball doesn't have a TV show called the Award Show that NHL typically holds every year on TV.  MLB, NFL, and even NBA announce the season ending award without any fanfare with press release of the result on their sportscaster show.  

Wouldn’t know, I don’t watch NBA, NFL and only the occasional MLB game when I’m stuck at the in-laws. 

On 9/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, grandmaster said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2026312

Colorado Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie, the league announced Monday.

Makar edged out Vancouver Canucksphenom Quinn Hughes and Chicago Blackhawks forward Dominik Kubalik.

The 21-year-old racked up 50 points in 57 games for the Avs while averaging 21 minutes per contest.

Hughes didn't lose the Calder, a different and more positive thought would be he wasn't selected for it. But just being in the conversation is a win.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just want to say I absolutely hate the title of this thread. It makes it sound like it was in his hands and stripped from him. It wasn't.

And people wonder why fans of other teams don't like us.

I can't stand the title either. (No offense OP!) It seems like the most negative possible way of looking at this.  Quinn Hughes is the highest scoring rookie defenseman since Nick Lidstrom in '92. (Makar is 2nd) The Canucks already have a Calder winning defenseman if that's what people are really worried about.  Tyler Myers won it.  So that's cool... I guess.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:20 AM, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Two excellent players and I feel Quinn was not robbed, either was a worthy winner. 

What has me stumped is voting.

2020 Calder Trophy voting (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th)

1. Cale Makar, COL 1,538 (116-54-0-0-0)

2. Quinn Hughes, VAN 1,337 (53-111-6-0-0)

3. Dominik Kubalik, CHI   554 (0-2-75-48-21)

4. Adam Fox, NYR 430 (1-1-45-52-32)

5. Elvis Merzlikins, CBJ 215 (0-1-17-32-27)

6. Mackenzie Blackwood, NJD 164 (0-1-16-15-32)

7. Victor Olofsson, BUF   96 (0-0-5-14-29)

8. John Marino, PIT 53 (0-0-4-5-18)

9. Nick Suzuki, MTL 17 (0-0-1-2-6)

10. Ethan Bear, EDM 9 (0-0-1-1-1)

11. Denis Gurianov, DAL   4 (0-0-0-1-1)

12. Ilya Samsonov, WSH 2 (0-0-0-0-2)

13. Matt Roy, LAK 1 (0-0-0-0-1)

The four votes I have highlighted in red....the people who made those votes should NEVER be allowed to vote again, obviously have no idea about the game. Adam Fox better than both Hughes and Makar ( what were they drunk for the last nine months???) Merzlikins and Blackwood better than either Makar or Hughes???? wow these people are out to lunch. 

I can understand the votes for Kubalik but the other three just make me wonder whats going on!!!!

My theory is that it must be some East Coast writer that only watch Eastern Conference games and teams