The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rossi: Multiple sources say Penguins GM Rutherford wants to pursue Chris Tanev

Ilya Mikheyev

44 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The sad truth is it probably makes him more money. More speculation means more hits means more money. Otherwise, if facts alone did the trick, more of those hacks would probably deviate from speculation.

Mainstream media in a nutshell. 
Sensationalism sells. Facts don’t. 
Integrity? What’s that? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Technically he's a UFA now but free agency hasn't started, wouldn't this be considered tampering? Can you talk about other team's players like that leading up to free agency? 

Probably some grey area.....

Rutherford could have just went, "Hey Brandon... how's your summer going?  Good to hear.... you know, I'm hoping to make the team better this upcoming season.  If your brother makes it to UFA, I would totally do my best to bring him into the fold...."

Then Brandon chatting with Chris, "Yo bro... my GM just said...."

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Playing next to Hughes this past season probably masked some of the deficiencies in Tanev’s game, and the underlying numbers already point to him being in the midst of “age related decline.” And while he didn’t miss games in 2019-20, it’s the only season of his career where he’s actually managed this, so it’s really not something we’re likely to see repeated. Tanev has a significant injury history and has put a lot of wear and tear on his body. He’s just not a player I’d bet on remaining healthy and fully effective into his mid 30s.

It’s only because of the COVID shutdown that he didn’t miss a game. He was hurt during the last game of the shortened season, and would have missed a good chunk of the stretch drive...again.

Love Tanev, but it’s definitely time to move on.

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

It’s only because of the COVID shutdown that he didn’t miss a game. He was hurt during the last game of the shortened season, and would have missed a good chunk of the stretch drive...again.

Love Tanev, but it’s definitely time to move on.

Games played for Tanev going back to the first year where he didn't spend any time in the AHL.

2013-14  64 games

2014-15  70 games

2015-16  69 games

2016-17  53 games

2017-18  42 games

2018-19  55 games

and yeah this year was looking like an 82 game season except for that injury at the end of regular season. 

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I just seen something circulating fb that the pens are going to offer Tanev a 5 year deal.

1) facebook, ew.

2) Pittsburgh has 6ish mil in cap space

3)facebook, ew.

4) pens have 11 forwards signed, 8 d and one goalie

5) facebook, ew

6) Murray, Jarry with desmith signed. Both are rfa but could easily eat up that remaining cap space.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, grandmaster said:

Given the Pens just got a defenceman in Mike Matheson, I hardly think they will go after Tanev now

Was also pretty much confirmed by Rutherford in a radio interview on Friday.   Sounds like their D-corps going into next season is set.

Bombulie has summary of the interview in Trib live - extracts below:

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-rutherford-dumoulin-pettersson-wont-be-traded-johnson-must-compete-for-spot/ 

In a thorough, candid discussion, Rutherford said Brian Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson will not be traded, newly acquired Mike Matheson will play on his natural left side, Jack Johnson will have to compete for the sixth defenseman’s role, and no free agents will be added to the mix.[...] Rutherford identified the right-handed Chad Ruhwedel as Johnson’s top competition for the job.

Rutherford also said he does not plan to be active in free agency, even if he were able to free up enough cap space to do so.

“I don’t see that happening,” Rutherford said. “We could possibly do a free agent that slips through the cracks, but it won’t be one of the big guys in the first 48 hours.”

Edited by mll

On 9/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Would be pretty cool to see Tanev play with his bro

I was sad when his Chris' brother didn't sign here outta College, I wanted him really bad. Guy has clutch written on his face. B. Tanev and Motter as our bottom 6 LWers? Yes please. That's two dogs right there causing havoc for opposing players in all 3 zones. But alas, all I have are what ifs and I wish. Seeing them both in Pittsburgh would be okay I guess. Lol. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mll said:

Was also pretty much confirmed by Rutherford in a radio interview on Friday.   Sounds like their D-corps going into next season is set.

Bombulie has summary of the interview in Trib live - extracts below:

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-rutherford-dumoulin-pettersson-wont-be-traded-johnson-must-compete-for-spot/ 

In a thorough, candid discussion, Rutherford said Brian Dumoulin and Marcus Pettersson will not be traded, newly acquired Mike Matheson will play on his natural left side, Jack Johnson will have to compete for the sixth defenseman’s role, and no free agents will be added to the mix.[...] Rutherford identified the right-handed Chad Ruhwedel as Johnson’s top competition for the job.

Rutherford also said he does not plan to be active in free agency, even if he were able to free up enough cap space to do so.

“I don’t see that happening,” Rutherford said. “We could possibly do a free agent that slips through the cracks, but it won’t be one of the big guys in the first 48 hours.”

Can we lock this silly thread up now @-Vintage Canuck-?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1