The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

I seem to recall JB saying that guys like Tanev and Markstrom earned the right to explore the market.  Maybe the lack of contact wasn't so much disinterest from the Canucks but them giving him space to find out what his market value is and then circling back to see if the Canucks can match it or make the offer they're comfortable with and leave it to Tanev to decide.

28 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Pretty sure there were some rumours of revamping the D, but I think getting Tanev back on a fair deal makes sense.  Getting Tanev and Barrie would actually be a pretty good results if possible under the cap.  I find the Barrie situation interesting.  Good number of people wanted him here when on Colorado and one okay year in Toronto and he's the worst D to ever play the game.  Have to think he'd still be a valuable add for the next two years if we can get him short term.  Tanev, Barrie and Holtby on two year deals would be a pretty amazing haul!

31 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Figured they'd try to sign Tanev after OEL fell apart.

I think that a LOT of players chose to go UFA and see what's out there and may circle back after finding, things are much tighter than expected and not getting the offers they thought would be there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

$8mil in cap and 20 contracts.  Three to sign, including Jake, so looking like Tanev or Barrie and a UFA dman.

We have more than that. Ferland will likely be LTIR for the year freeing up 3.5 million. Eriksson will be in Utica, freeing up 1 million more...likely same with Baer.

If we want some more Stanley Cup pedigree why not look at Shattenkirk (Likely cheaper than Barrie) and Bogosion (Cheaper than Tanev) on the right side:

Hughes Myers

Edler Shattenkirk

Joulevi Bogosian

Maybe not option 1 but could be pretty good backup plan and fit under the cap still.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Pretty sure there were some rumours of revamping the D, but I think getting Tanev back on a fair deal makes sense.  Getting Tanev and Barrie would actually be a pretty good results if possible under the cap.  I find the Barrie situation interesting.  Good number of people wanted him here when on Colorado and one okay year in Toronto and he's the worst D to ever play the game.  Have to think he'd still be a valuable add for the next two years if we can get him short term.  Tanev, Barrie and Holtby on two year deals would be a pretty amazing haul!

It's not about being the worst D. The question mark is about his physical ability to be effective against the big forwards we have to face in the Playoffs! We already have to shelter Hughes. I don't see Barrie as an effective partner for Hughes so Barrie would get more D zone starts. Plus we need pkers.

1 minute ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I still have a feeling Stecher could come back. Fingers crossed. I love Tanev and Stecher. 

I like Stecher, but to be honest, don't really want him back unless it's for Leivo type money.  Love the heart, but I still feel he doesn't process the game fast enough.  Lots of movement but not a lot of vision.

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

It's not about being the worst D. The question mark is about his physical ability to be effective against the big forwards we have to face in the Playoffs! We already have to shelter Hughes. I don't see Barrie as an effective partner for Hughes so Barrie would get more D zone starts. Plus we need pkers.

Oh I agree that there would be a 0% change they would be paired together.  It would be Myers paired with Hughes and Barrie paired with Edler.  I think that could work and I think it allows Edler to move from a two way D to more of a defensive D which I think matches better with his career trajectory. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Word is Benning wants to overhaul the blue line. Bringing these two back totally contradicts this. 

"Wants to" and "can" are two very different deals.  I'm sure there are upgrades he'd love to make but they have to be right and the other parties have a say in that too.  Slim pickin's out there and everyone's gunning for the same players....prices go way up.

So...we'll see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Wants to" and "can" are two very different deals.  I'm sure there are upgrades he'd love to make but they have to be right and the other parties have a say in that too.  Slim pickin's out there and everyone's gunning for the same players....prices go way up.

So...we'll see.

Yeah, fair enough point, but the Canucks defense sucked for the better part of the year so by continually bringing back the same players it's not going to change that. I know you are sentimental to long served Canucks but sometimes you gotta move on.