The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

Just now, Googlie said:

So are we assuming that Bailey, Brisebois, Chatfield and Kielly aren't going to sign their QOs?   They are going to take up some $3.5 to $4 million

We should be fine with the cap space.

The only thing is that we'll be relying more on the young, unproven players to save our cash. This could be a good step for these players that eventually will have to play some NHL games at some point.

23 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Is Ferland part of that money too? That could potentially free a bit up as well if he's on the LTIR again.

Yes it is.

And they have 13 F and 5 D signed...as well as both goaltenders.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Shows 7.95 million in cap space - but slightly misleading in two senses.

Because both Baertschi and Eriksson have roster spots there - you can take a million off each of Virtanen and Gaudette for example - assuming they re-sign them - so, they have about two million more than appears...ie saying 'they have 7 million and need to sign is a bit misleading...it's more like 9 million.

So - imo - they could

1) sign Tanev to a 5 million per deal.

2) sign Virtanen at 2ish

3) sign Fantenburg and waive/assign Benn and lose no cap either way.

4) Juolevi is slightly less cap hit than Rathbone, so no difference.

5) can sign other players in the 1 million range as assigning/waiving others (or injury replacement) would be cap trade offs - (don't require more cap space to add less than million range deals (which was enough to sign a pretty good depth D, Benning to Nashville).  Could sign a Richardson in the 1 million range and not 'lose' any of that cap space.

And have about 2 million to spend on the their #3RHD/Stecher (who's likely in that range).

If they did nothing else, they'd have either Ferland, or the IR cap once the season starts.....

They could take the risk of going 10% over, but with the possibility of Ferland beiing healthy, probably not a good idea, and for another reason.

The other misleading thing about the Drance's above estimation imo - as well as most 'present' cap estimations are that there remains overage/bonus to deal with.

I personally might try to get out ahead of it and look to move at least Baertschi's cap - and bite that bullet.

Beyond that, I don't think there's a great deal of pressure - but still have to work hard to move a bit more cap to prep for overage and to be flexible in case an opportunity you can't pass up comes along.   Personally, I'd also try to shift the balance of the youth/prospect pool by dealing one of the young forwards for Foote if possible.  Tampa can't protect him, but the issue goes away if we deal them a e.d. exempt forward (or pick)...

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Still some options and question marks.

Baertschi - plays or waive and save $1,075,000.00?

Ferly - ready to play or LTIR? $3,500,000.00

Eriksson - play or waive and save $1,075,000.00?

Plus I believe that we can still buy out Sutter if necessary.

Tanev should be within our budget. Hopefully he doesn't get a ridiculous offer somewhere else.

Yes I think you are right. Baer and Loui waived.

Ferland likely on LTIR to start season but have to keep space for him in case he becomes healthy and jumps back into action. He can be a difference maker when healthy.

Would like to see Leivo signed for a 1 year $1.6m deal. Good cheap fit for that 2RW spot. Gives him a chance to prove himself.

Leaves us with about $4m to resign Tanev.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Gaudette, Ferland)

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Juolevi Benn

(Rafferty)

Holtby, Demko

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes I think you are right. Baer and Loui waived.

Ferland likely on LTIR to start season but have to keep space for him in case he becomes healthy and jumps back into action. He can be a difference maker when healthy.

Would like to see Leivo signed for a 1 year $1.6m deal. Good cheap fit for that 2RW spot. Gives him a chance to prove himself.

Leaves us with about $4m to resign Tanev.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Gaudette, Ferland)

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Juolevi Benn

(Rafferty)

Holtby, Demko

That D needs an upgrade. We all saw what happened in the playoffs with number of shots allowed.

Right now we are looking at:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

MacEwen, Ferland

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Benn

Juolevi - Chatfield

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Still more money to spend but.... Looks like a step back in goal & the same holes we had at points before. (Needing a T6F & a T4D)

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

MacEwen, Ferland

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Benn

Juolevi - Chatfield

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Still more money to spend but.... Looks like a step back in goal & the same holes we had at points before. (Needing a T6F & a T4D)

First of all, a lot of teams are going to take a step back in general. Benning should be praised if we come out of this a step forward. Expect a step back with this flat cap world basically. lol

Second, we're only a few hours into free agency. Barrie's just a rumour at this point and have we even heard anything about Toffoli or Tanev? Just because they can sign anywhere doesn't mean they will and we're already seeing free agents resigning with their teams despite being UFA. There's a lot of chaos to ensue before we should even analyze the way you're doing imo.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Benn

Juolevi - Chatfield

Rafferty

I'd rearrange the deck chairs a little:

Hughes - Chatfield

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Rafferty

That way we would have a PMD in each pairing, with likely our most defensive oriented dman paired with Hughes.  Would avoid playing 2 rookies together as well

Edited by Googlie

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

IMO we're not signing another top six forward. We'll have to promote Virtanen or Leivo I suspect.

I'd be fine if we let Virtanen, Gaudette and Leivo duke it out for middle 6 W'er spots. Sign someone like Richardson cheap to play 3C and keep on trucking.

Continue to look for bargains elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

so from...

Toffoli        ->     Virtanen

Tanev        ->     Barrie

Markstrom ->    Holtby

That's a step back IMO. 

100%, but I think it was unavoidable given the moves we made last year, especially in tandem with the flat cap.

I'm also still hoping we can keep Tanev.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

First of all, a lot of teams are going to take a step back in general. Benning should be praised if we come out of this a step forward. Expect a step back with this flat cap world basically. lol

Second, we're only a few hours into free agency. Barrie's just a rumour at this point and have we even heard anything about Toffoli or Tanev? Just because they can sign anywhere doesn't mean they will and we're already seeing free agents resigning with their teams despite being UFA. There's a lot of chaos to ensue before we should even analyze the way you're doing imo.

Of course. But I don't know if we have space to even sign 2 guys.

And the flat cap is a huge issue, but the cap problems are atleast as much self-inflicted as they are a result of the flat cap.

OEL fell through & they lost Markstrom. So far not ideal. Listening to Benning right now and he said they are expecting an answer from Tanev tomorrow. Said they'd 'love him back if the money made sense', sounded kinda 50/50. 

Virtanen isn't a top 6 forward, but he'll get paid close to one. I think they should explore trading Virtanen with a bad contract, but are other teams even interested in that? 

Don't need to beat a dead horse here, but a big part of this is prior decisions coming back to haunt them & that's pretty undeniable.

The shining light here might end up being the flat cap and some bargins being available to fill out the roster.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I'd rearrange the deck chairs a little:

Hughes - Chatfield

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Rafferty

That way we would have a PMD in each pairing, with likely our most defensive oriented dman paired with Hughes.  Would avoid playing 2 rookies together as well

Chatfield might not even make the team let alone slotted in the first pair

• Upvote 2