The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

That D needs an upgrade. We all saw what happened in the playoffs with number of shots allowed.

Well we could trade Sutter + Virtanen for picks and then sign Pietrangelo to $9m AAV instead of Tanev...haha

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Hoglander)

Hughes Pietrangelo

Edler Myers

Juolevi Benn

(Rafferty)

Holtby, Demko

(Baer, Loui, Rathbone in the AHL)

Edited by BigTramFan

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Right now we are looking at:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

MacEwen, Ferland

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Benn

Juolevi - Chatfield

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Still more money to spend but.... Looks like a step back in goal & the same holes we had at points before. (Needing a T6F & a T4D)

Dude.   We weren’t going to win a cup with the lineup we had last year.   We have a lot of fringe guys that need to be checked out.   Adding to another post I read of yours complaining about our cap situation- the only thing JB is guilty of is getting the team back on course a year ahead of schedule.    I’m not a “JB apologist”.   I was on the other side of the fence with him until he traded Burrows and Hansen.   Yzerman is going to take a sh!t kicking before he’s done and he’s already going the same route - AND we started the core change at the same time.  

A step back is actually not a bad thing at all.   We need more core guys.  Podz and free agents might do it IF a few others pull through.   Trading Demko for spare parts (that’s all we’d get with this market) and going with JM would be a death sentence into the mediocrity cycle.   Patience.!    We either are a lottery team with a lesser lineup - OR make the playoffs anyways.  A win win IMO.   COL is set with Rantanen, Makar and Byram... it’s like a turbo.  Hope we get that here too and think it’s what JB is going to do. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I expect teams to step back and reassess after this movement today. They come back tomorrow with their alternative deals. Not over yet.  

Gives them a chance to talk to Tampa....hopefully Tanev still likes us in the morning and signs away...

Here's what I'd offer Tampa....

Pearson

Gaudette

for

Palat

Foote

Palat and Pearson - comparable ages, production....Palat is a 5.3 million cap hit.  Pearson 3.75...  Tampa won't be able to protect Foote - they may be able to protect Gaudette depending on who they really want/need to retain - they could expose salary instead, for example....

That buys Tampa  a bit more cap (1.55 million) to add to their 3ish with which to sign one of Sergachev/Cernak/Cirelli to at least help isolate the one of their choice from an offersheet...The one caveat for us - it adds a year of term of Palat vs Pearson (and therefor may preclude another F move, but I'd probably do it for the opportunity to add the yound RHD/Foote....)

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets hope. I'd even take Baertschi.

I think Baertschi could be a sneaky way to save cap and remain a great team. If Baer is possibly still a 40-point player, he could bolster our team without needing to sign any new contracts. Depends on if the team wants to give him another shot though.

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Dude.   We weren’t going to win a cup with the lineup we had last year.   We have a lot of fringe guys that need to be checked out.   Adding to another post I read of yours complaining about our cap situation- the only thing JB is guilty of is getting the team back on course a year ahead of schedule.    I’m not a “JB apologist”.   I was on the other side of the fence with him until he traded Burrows and Hansen.   Yzerman is going to take a sh!t kicking before he’s done and he’s already going the same route - AND we started the core change at the same time.  

A step back is actually not a bad thing at all.   We need more core guys.  Podz and free agents might do it IF a few others pull through.   Trading Demko for spare parts (that’s all we’d get with this market) and going with JM would be a death sentence into the mediocrity cycle.   Patience.!    We either are a lottery team with a lesser lineup - OR make the playoffs anyways.  A win win IMO.   COL is set with Rantanen, Makar and Byram... it’s like a turbo.  Hope we get that here too and think it’s what JB is going to do. 

Dude Bo Horvat is 25. We have the core. There is nothing mediocre about this core. Horvat is in his prime, Elias Pettersson & Quinn Hughes are elite players. We still have good goaltending. We have a top prospect coming. We have some other nice complimentary pieces, and some other young assets. This should be the time we are trying to rise. You just spent significant assets last year (Miller/Toffoli) trying to surround these guys, and it worked! I know the flat cap throws a wrench into it, but we can't just concede & accept a step back. 

We have holes yes. Even Colorado has holes. Your telling me that defense & goaltending is as good as the past cup winners? They have an elite core (that's a bit further along) and they have some holes, just like us. The difference is they have cap space. and thats an unavoidable issue with the Canucks right now unfortunately. 

It might be hard. But I like that they went after OEL. We need to strive to improve - its just hard to create the cap space we need, as Benning himself said. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

11 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

well, imo you could be wrong.

Fair enough.

Holtby could provide great goaltending, I like that signing - I think Clark will work well with him. This isn't so much a knock on Holtby but Markstrom has been amazing as we all know. 

Barrie is a quality player, I just think the fit is better with Tanev.

And Virtanen.... I guess you can hold out hope for him being top 6, but I'm kinda passed that personally. 

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Baertschi could be a sneaky way to save cap and remain a great team. If Baer is possibly still a 40-point player, he could bolster our team without needing to sign any new contracts. Depends on if the team wants to give him another shot though.

I think Benning mentioned they'd give him another shot. Doesn't seem like they'll be able to move him so might aswell. 

I think he's still got game. If he could slot into the top 9 & play well that would be great. Lets hope.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The somewhat ironic thing about "stepping backward" as well - is the fact that they played 10 playoff games without Toffoli - in which they won more frequently than with him in the lineup (he was seriously limping in the 7 games he did play).   They also had to sub Benn into 7 games - Myers missed 7 - and Juolevi also dressed in a game....As great as Markstrom was, were they worse off with Demko, and will they be worse off with Holtby, considering they didn't have Markstrom in three consecutive elimination games....

Well that all adds up to nothing as we wouldn’t have been in the playoffs at all without Markstrom last year, so the only comparable stats would be their golf scores.

The numbers showed that with “average” goaltending we would have been a bottom 5 team in the league.  It was only the fact that Markstrom was the #1 rated goalie in terms of his adjusted performance and number of wins that made us a bubble team.  We gave up a ton of high danger chances and Markstrom was the best in the league at stopping them.

Neither Demko or Holtby is close to that level.  Holtby’s game has been slipping for a couple years now.  His adjuster numbers (according to Woodley who has access to the best goalie specific proprietary stats in the league), put him near the bottom of the league.  Our only hope is that Clark DJs turn him around or Demko is a Vezina calibre goalie right out of the gate.

There are still moved that would have to be made for us not to be a worse team on paper than last year.

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well that all adds up to nothing as we wouldn’t have been in the playoffs at all without Markstrom last year, so the only comparable stats would be their golf scores.

The numbers showed that with “average” goaltending we would have been a bottom 5 team in the league.  It was only the fact that Markstrom was the #1 rated goalie in terms of his adjusted performance and number of wins that made us a bubble team.  We gave up a ton of high danger chances and Markstrom was the best in the league at stopping them.

Neither Demko or Holtby is close to that level.  Holtby’s game has been slipping for a couple years now.  His adjuster numbers (according to Woodley who has access to the best goalie specific proprietary stats in the league), put him near the bottom of the league.  Our only hope is that Clark DJs turn him around or Demko is a Vezina calibre goalie right out of the gate.

There are still moved that would have to be made for us not to be a worse team on paper than last year.

I believe it was benning that said Clark has a  big say in all things related to goaltending.  I have to  believe he sees in Demko a bonifide starter with at least the potential of Marky and far younger.  Otherwise, it is likely Benning would.have given  Marky what he was asking for and risked exposing demko at the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I believe it was benning that said Clark has a  big say in all things related to goaltending.  I have to  believe he sees in Demko a bonifide starter with at least the potential of Marky and far younger.  Otherwise, it is likely Benning would.have given  Marky what he was asking for and risked exposing demko at the expansion draft.

That logic doesn’t fly.  Sure Clark would have a say on any goalie that comes in, but not being able or willing to go 6x6 on Markstrom doesn’t mean they think their goaltending will be as good or better without him.  Those aren’t the same thing at all.

They went with a cheaper option and the hope that Demko will be good in the future.  I am not saying it was the wrong decision, just that you can admit that it could likely be a step back next year unless something else significant happens.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

according to dhaliwal he has received a offer and is sleeping on it. Not sure if he has others

I feel that Tanev doesn't get the kind of respect from the Canucks' organization that he should, and this is mostly due to (what I see as) his rather mild nature. I believe that he has left money of the table over the years, and could have had greater career and financial success if he had decided to move on from the Canucks.

I don't begrudge Tanev taking a moment to sleep on it. It could be worse for the Canucks, Tanev could have just put Benning on hold, because CT likes to look at the lights blinking on his phone...

regards,  G.

reference - 1:40 mark

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Cheers 1