The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[poll/discussion] Are you OK if next year is a small step back?

JM_

Are you OK with a small step back next season?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking at all the prices being thrown around and the age of our UFAs, I'm wondering if Jim is willing to take a bit of a step back next year to keep a lot of flexibility open post-expansion, or even for trades leading up to expansion. Even after a Petey and Hughes extension, we could have something in the range of 25 million in cap space after this year if we don't get locked into older UFAs, and manage to dump Loui, which is a similar place to where Colorado finds themselves in today. 

Say we let Marky and Tanev walk and bring in albeit less talented but serviceable players on 1 year deals. With the contracts of Sutter and Baer expiring after next year and not having 11+ mil tied up in Tanev and Marky the Canucks could have a huge advantage in post-expansion free agency, or even in trading for players teams don't want to lose for nothing in expansion.

We also have some ELCs on the way after next season in Podkolzon and Hoglander. 

Is it better for the next competitive window to roll the dice on Demko and some fill-in players one 1 year deals for next season given the potential of huge cap space and expansion deals for the 2021/22 season? 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If it takes something like this to have cap to keep Petersson and Hughes, I'd be willing. It looks like Benning is learning through the years. Last year's UFA signings weren't horrible. The 6M for Myers was what the market dictated. Fantenburg was a bonus signing. His worst mistakes were his first; Virt and Eriksson. Since then, he's getting better...somewhat.

Also, because of the individual brilliance of Petersson and Hughes, we are really about a year ahead of "schedule". 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I honestly feel like it has to be. The team overachieved this year and the only way to eclipse this year's success is to overspend. Stay the course. This year, the team was supposed to be ~3 years away from competing for a cup. I don't think expectations should change. 

It seems like it a bit, doesn't it? 

Even with a Toffoli deal in place there's so much flexibility if Jim waits a year. I see a lot of people talk about wanting to be where Colorado is at today, and thats exactly where this team would be at.

The big risk of course is Demko doesn't keep developing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Retaining Tanev and Tofffoli is possible if Tanev's willing to take a hometown discount, which seems likely.  I want to walk away from Markstrom regardless, as I think he'll want far too much term for a guy who's likely to start his decline really soon.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Retaining Tanev and Tofffoli is possible if Tanev's willing to take a hometown discount, which seems likely.  I want to walk away from Markstrom regardless, as I think he'll want far too much term for a guy who's likely to start his decline really soon.

that seems more and more likely doesn't it? 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

It seems like it a bit, doesn't it? 

Even with a Toffoli deal in place there's so much flexibility if Jim waits a year. I see a lot of people talk about wanting to be where Colorado is at today, and thats exactly where this team would be at.

The big risk of course is Demko doesn't keep developing. 

Another aspect I'd neglected to mention, RL

Figure rival GM's are holding JB over a barrel(currently) if he wants to off-load junk. But then say we let CT & JM walk to other teams, & it becomes obvious we can waltz through the cap-quagmire for a modest season. At that point I bet the offers(for the less severe albatrosses) will improve.

So now is a good time to downsize, be modest & patient. A 2nd wave of moves(with COVID & ED other influencing variables) should bring better possibilities.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another aspect I'd neglected to mention, RL

Figure rival GM's are holding JB over a barrel(currently) if he wants to off-load junk. But then say we let CT & JM walk to other teams, & it becomes obvious we can waltz through the cap-quagmire for a modest season. At that point I bet the offers(for the less severe albatrosses) will improve.

So now is a good time to downsize, be modest & patient. A 2nd wave of moves(with COVID & ED other influencing variables) should bring better possibilities.

the other possibility is Demko and Juolevi turn out to be just as good has who left, or at least something comparable.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Making the playoffs: necessary 

After that it's a crap shoot.  Any team can lose to any other team as we saw when Tampa Bay got bounced out in 1st round last year.  

We have to make the playoffs though.  I would not be okay with missing out and going back to the dark days.  Even if we lose one of our big three free agents, I think we'll be good enough to get in. 

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The need in the future will be cap space. Draft picks will be a premium and cap space worth double the value.

Aging players unless inked for minimum salaries, not cap hits, are going to find it hard over the next few years.

If Chris Gear does his job with thoughts of the future this team could end up with 10+ mil in cap space next year and have tradable assets and protection spots available.

Edited by Lazurus

I think it depends on how you define a step backwards. I think we should again aim for playoffs. I don't think a round 1 loss would constitute a step back but missing the playoffs would. I'll also say that you want to keep positive momentum going and "sacrificing" a year could have a negative cultural impact on the locker room. That being said, I don't think we should be spending irresponsibly. Resign Toffoli and Tanev to reasonable deals, be opportunistic else where if possible. We do have some big contracts coming up to Hughes and EP40 and also likely get cap relief from the expansion draft. Stay the course.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It depends on how they go out.  

7 games series in the first round that went back and forth, losing in OT... that's acceptable.

Making it to the second round and getting swept while outscored 16-3.... that's not acceptable.  

They were one of 24 teams, not 16 teams. While fun to watch, this year was different.

You never know though, maybe they will start having entire series vs one team at a time, in a bubble. 7 games vs Edmonton, Vegas, Flames, Kings, Ducks, Sharks and Coyotes, 4 games vs Jets, Hawks, Blues, Preds, Wild, you get the idea, all the games at one period of time.

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think it depends on how you define a step backwards. I think we should again aim for playoffs. I don't think a round 1 loss would constitute a step back but missing the playoffs would. I'll also say that you want to keep positive momentum going and "sacrificing" a year could have a negative cultural impact on the locker room. That being said, I don't think we should be spending irresponsibly. Resign Toffoli and Tanev to reasonable deals, be opportunistic else where if possible. We do have some big contracts coming up to Hughes and EP40 and also likely get cap relief from the expansion draft. Stay the course.

How? Two ways here, how to make them sign reasonable deals? This will the last year for awhile to cash in, the flat cap will discout aging players much faster now that demand will go down after next season.Team's that were on the cusp will go all in next  year because most will have to retool their rosters to fit the covid era thing if it carries on.

Edited by Lazurus

For GM's who are able to be patient this off season, there are going to be lots of deals out there.

Every team that is in a position to compete for the cup, are in a cap crunch and have issues. There are going to be a number of players that teams have no choice but to walk away from.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1