The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[poll/discussion] Are you OK if next year is a small step back?

JM_

Are you OK with a small step back next season?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

more options? Like 20 mill more paid to quinn and petey? lol...

Petey and Quinn are ELC instead of 10 mill ... our window is going to be as wide as ever. 2021 is going to be the year we win the cup imho

Jim will make all the right moves to manage our cap this off season and boy am I excited to see what late round gems he finds this year!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

more options? Like 20 mill more paid to quinn and petey? lol...

Petey and Quinn are ELC instead of 10 mill ... our window is going to be as wide as ever. 2021 is going to be the year we win the cup imho

Jim will make all the right moves to manage our cap this off season and boy am I excited to see what late round gems he finds this year!

Next year Jim has 21 million to sign or replace a middle six winger  (Pearson), a 3rd line C or player (Sutter), a top four LHD (Edler) plus sign those two with 21 million opening up in total.   Which is why spending to the cap this year isn’t a great idea.   He’s got five roster spots to fill with that money.    I trust JB will figure it out but understand all the talk about it - going for it with EP and QHs on their ELCs isn’t a great option with LE and Luongo giving us a false ceiling. 

Edit: I’m still optimistic - keep up your confidence!  Always nice to see your posts. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Benning appears to be very active in talks but I think some of that is unsubstantiated media hype - bound to surround a team that turned a lot of heads this season.

Between UFAs, RFAs, cap issues (LE), upcoming huge contracts, the ED, and Covid, it is safe to say there is a LOT of pressure on JB right now. He has been pretty up to the task so far, and now he needs to learn to spend wisely.

To me, wisely is whatever it takes to bring a cup to Vancouver - even if we were to take a small step back. But as others have said, missing the playoffs is not acceptable at this point. And let's face it: We barely got in this time around. It's a fine line between stripping away too much veteran talent and doing it right.

To me, how good our team will be amounts to the cap and how we spend. Benning needs to have a live feed to all 30 GMs trying to move out cap. I heard he is not willing to give away picks or prospects to move LE? I get the picks, but we have enough prospects that if it takes anyone not named Podkolzin or Hoglander, so be it. We will be fine as our core is (or will be) inevitably locked in. If he succeeds, I am confident our team will be equal if not better via experience.

If he can't, then I guess we have no choice but to not re-sign an important player or two. In such an event, we need to use cheaper alternatives. Demelo instead of Tanev perhaps? Go with Demko and let Marky walk? Risky business but you do what ya gotta do...

Maybe Canucks will trade RFAs and Vets for draft picks.  Bring up some younger players on ELC to better manage the cap.

Take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

So probably have OJ and Rafferty be our depth D (6th-8th D).  Maybe bring up a forward who's close to ready like Lind.

Bury LE in the minors and bring up Baer (who may be hungry to get back into the NHL).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Maybe Canucks will trade RFAs and Vets for draft picks.  Bring up some younger players on ELC to better manage the cap.

Take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

So probably have OJ and Rafferty be our depth D (6th-8th D).  Maybe bring up a forward who's close to ready like Lind.

Bury LE in the minors and bring up Baer (who may be hungry to get back into the NHL).

I don't know about the Baer option.. you'd think there would be a lot of tension between him and Green at this point. Same problem as before... where does he fit? 

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I don't know about the Baer option.. you'd think there would be a lot of tension between him and Green at this point. Same problem as before... where does he fit? 

For Baer...maybe slot him with EP40.  Boost his points and then trade Baer at the deadline.  

Lol.

• Haha 1

I have posted here.

A step back from what? It was obvious that this group could not be kept together at the beginning of last season, too many players would be needing a raise ad the team was spending too much money everywhere.

I see standing pat and letting the FA's go as creating a leap forward by the TDL next year.

FA's will be cheaper after one more season of a flat cap and salary control.

Expansion with the team having extra protection spots will add and not subtract to the team.

Eriksson and Sutter's (with retention) contracts will be extremely valuable to Arizona or any other team want large cap hits and low salaries. Erkisson more so after his next signing bonus.

Edited by Lazurus

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

I have posted here.

A step back from what? It was obvious that this group could not be kept together at the beginning of last season, too many players would be needing a raise ad the team was spending too much money everywhere.

I see standing pat and letting the FA's go as creating a leap forward by the TDL next year.

FA's will be cheaper after one more season of a flat cap and salary control.

Expansion with the team having extra protection spots will add and not subtract to the team.

Eriksson and Sutter's (with retention) contracts will be extremely valuable to Arizona or any other team want large cap hits and low salaries. Erkisson more so after his next signing bonus.

the assumption being that the team without Tanev and Marky can't make the playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

the assumption being that the team without Tanev and Marky can't make the playoffs. 

In reality it was the stoppage of play that got the Canucks, Chicago, Montreal, Arizona and other teams the chance to play in the playoffs this season.

An arbitrary decision to change how the standings were determined which ignored all the existing rules.

They did great, don't get me wrong but they were still a 20th placed team and dropping in the standings.

They were ALL healthy and the NHL bent another rule about the cap for regular season games which the playin's were supposed to substitute for. The Canucks were well over10 mil above the cap for playin games, more than any other team.

The younger players got the experience though and the old vets showed that they can still make a small impapct in the game. Increasing their value at theTDL next year.

The team could be well off by taking a step sideways for one season if they PLAN it out and take a hit this season.

Winning has not been the highlight of this team for years, it has been being competitive and they were selling out even losing 50 games a year so one more after a unique season ending and unprecedented playoff structure should be easy to swallow

Besides the hockey ops department should be able to make decisions now without the pressure of filling the arena, covid has assured that will not happen even if the team was in the cup final.

Edited by Lazurus

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

In reality it was the stoppage of play that got the Canucks, Chicago, Montreal, Arizona and other teams the chance to play in the playoffs this season.

An arbitrary decision to change how the standings were determined which ignored all the existing rules.

They did great, don't get me wrong but they were still a 20th placed team and dropping in the standings.

They were ALL healthy and the NHL bent another rule about the cap for regular season games which the playin's were supposed to substitute for. The Canucks were well over10 mil above the cap for playin games, more than any other team.

The younger players got the experience though and the old vets showed that they can still make a small impapct in the game. Increasing their value at theTDL next year.

The team could be well off by taking a step sideways for one season if they PLAN it out and take a hit this season.

Winning has not been the highlight of this team for years, it has been being competitive and they were selling out even losing 50 games a year so one more after a unique season ending and unprecedented playoff structure should be easy to swallow

Besides the hockey ops department should be able to make decisions now without the pressure of filling the arena, covid has assured that will not happen even if the team was in the cup final.

yeah I'm kind of leaning to wanting the cap flexibility for a season from now.  I do think the Canucks had a better chance than not of making the playoffs on their own but it would have been close, maybe down to the last 1 or 2 games of the season.

But all that cap opening up if Jim's patient... its tantalizing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yeah I'm kind of leaning to wanting the cap flexibility for a season from now.  I do think the Canucks had a better chance than not of making the playoffs on their own but it would have been close, maybe down to the last 1 or 2 games of the season.

But all that cap opening up if Jim's patient... its tantalizing. 

It was pretty obvious that Benning was all in to make the playoffs, trading away a 1rst and a 2nd round pick in this deep draft year and going so far over the cap in spending.

The team will do better if they let the FA's go and dedicate one season to getting prepared to take a leap forward the following season. There will be FA's all over the place at lower costs for a team prepared to take the step then.

• Cheers 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 1:18 PM, Lazurus said:

It was pretty obvious that Benning was all in to make the playoffs, trading away a 1rst and a 2nd round pick in this deep draft year and going so far over the cap in spending.

The team will do better if they let the FA's go and dedicate one season to getting prepared to take a leap forward the following season. There will be FA's all over the place at lower costs for a team prepared to take the step then.

The opportunity is now since it seems that about half the league will impose an internal cap of low $70+ M.

We will probably see a slew of RFA not offered QO and let walk (if can't be traded).

And a glut of UFAs not re-signed. 

Look at St Louis at AP for an example.

It looks to be a flat cap for at least a couple of years.  There could be some good bargains out there for those teams willing to spend to the cap.

I'm not sure a step back is acceptable. The Canucks made it to the 2nd round, and they're going to want to go further next year. Perhaps the owners agree to buy out a player, maybe Benning makes a trade or two. I heard that the Canucks have been very active, so I'm thinking the 2020/21 team will look a bit different. Excited to see what Benning is going to do to make them better.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

If we manage to keep Tanev i don't think there would be any stepbacks.

Right now, we don't have the luxury of losing our 1st Defensive Dman because nobody has the tools to replace him; so he's our very number one priority.
Demko takes starter spot, (that was always planned like that) and we could transfers the cap hit to Tanman.

Toffoli could very be a anchor to the second line for sure, but he was not a determinant factor through the entire season so... 

With Hoglander, we could have a very nice surprise and another gifted guy in our top 6. 

With Tryamkin lurking, we have a solid top 4 D ready to jump. 

we could be even more dangerous next year.  

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

If we manage to keep Tanev i don't think there would be any stepbacks.

Right now, we don't have the luxury of losing our 1st Defensive Dman because nobody has the tools to replace him; so he's our very number one priority.
Demko takes starter spot, (that was always planned like that) and we could transfers the cap hit to Tanman.

Toffoli could very be a anchor to the second line for sure, but he was not a determinant factor through the entire season so... 

With Hoglander, we could have a very nice surprise and another gifted guy in our top 6. 

With Tryamkin lurking, we have a solid top 4 D ready to jump. 

we could be even more dangerous next year.  

Ceci and Hamonic are considered in the same range as Tanev so their are other options (maybe not by Canuck fans - but the “experts”).    Dobber has Tanevs UFA value at 3.2 - largely because he’s averaged 2/3 a season since his career has started and injuries the only anchor for us or any team that signs him.   Doesn’t help any team if he’s not healthy come playoff time and all.   Hoping JB can sign him for a one year deal with hopes to continue after the ED and QHs/EP done.    If not why not go after AP instead of TT/Tanev?   Save a little cap wise - and plug a gigantic hole in the right side.   Or consider Shattenkirk instead of Stecher.    Get the risks letting him go.   Also get that it depends where he starts - whomever signs first should create a domino affect with the others and some roster players too (for space).   

Demko/Markstrom and then D.   TT is a luxury and maybe not one we even need with top overall RW Podz ready to join later in the season ... maybe earlier if they pull the plug which seems somewhat likely at this point.   On that - seems like at least even odds an NHL season during Covid in the US isn’t going to work.   That’s one more year burned off LE, Bear, Sutter, Pearson, Roussel,  Beagle etc...

Edited by IBatch

On 9/22/2020 at 12:50 PM, Robert Long said:

Looking at all the prices being thrown around and the age of our UFAs, I'm wondering if Jim is willing to take a bit of a step back next year to keep a lot of flexibility open post-expansion, or even for trades leading up to expansion. Even after a Petey and Hughes extension, we could have something in the range of 25 million in cap space after this year if we don't get locked into older UFAs, and manage to dump Loui, which is a similar place to where Colorado finds themselves in today. 

Say we let Marky and Tanev walk and bring in albeit less talented but serviceable players on 1 year deals. With the contracts of Sutter and Baer expiring after next year and not having 11+ mil tied up in Tanev and Marky the Canucks could have a huge advantage in post-expansion free agency, or even in trading for players teams don't want to lose for nothing in expansion.

We also have some ELCs on the way after next season in Podkolzon and Hoglander. 

Is it better for the next competitive window to roll the dice on Demko and some fill-in players one 1 year deals for next season given the potential of huge cap space and expansion deals for the 2021/22 season? 

The Canucks don't necessarily need to take a small step, and can also work around their cap issues fairly easily.

I would be ok if we took a small step back next season (similar to what happened in 2007-2008 after the Canucks made an unexpected 2nd round appearance one year prior), but I also don't think that this will necessarily happen.   People keep talking about our cap issues, but I honestly think that we can work a way around it and still come out ahead.   Here is what I would do, or at least attempt to do.

The Agenda for the 2020 off-season:   

1) Sign Toffoli.  People might disagree with me on this, but I think Toffoli should be our biggest priority out of Markstrom and Tanev (which I will explain later).  Sign Toffoli and solidify the RW spot.

2) Trade Boeser to Boston for Brandon Carlo, which allows us to walk from Tanev.   Most people will be furious at me for suggesting this (and trust me, I'm expecting the :confused: smilies to be rolling in after this post), but this trade would help us in a lot of ways.    Carlo is young, big, very responsible defensively, and would be a terrific 'ying to the yang' for Hughes long term.  Think Muzzin to Doughty.   Furthermore, Carlo is capable of playing on the top pairing.   The presence of Carlo would allow us to walk from Tanev in this off-season, while also allowing us to walk from Edler in the next season.   With Carlo's presence as a top pairing RD for the team long term, it would also put far less pressure on some of our other defensive prospects (i.e. Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Tryamkin) in terms of not expecting them to fill the shoes of Edler and being top pairing defensemen.   The presence of Carlo, in effect, would allow for the aforementioned prospects to settle in as good 2nd pairing dmen.  Anything beyond that would be an added bonus.   People will be upset by the loss of Boeser but honestly, rolling with Toffoli-Eriksson-Virtanen-MacEwen is still quite solid, and replacing Eriksson with Podkolzin in year's time would still likely keep our RW as a strong suit.

3) Trade Sutter for Devan Dubnyk, walk away from Markstrom, make Demko the new #1.     The Sutter for Dubnyk idea was mentioned by someone else in another thread, and I think it's absolutely brilliant.  The Wild get a centre, and the Canucks get a good '1A/1B' veteran goalie that can help Demko ease into the #1 role (Demko can start 60-65% of the starts and can even play more if he proves capable).   After one season, the Canucks can walk away from Dubnyk should possibly give gateway for Dipietro to step in as the back-up (and if not, there would be other vet options out there.....maybe Dubnyk again).    With the presence of both Carlo and Dubnyk, the Canucks can walk away from both Markstrom and Tanev without having lost anything.

IN:  Carlo, Dubnyk.   

OUT:    Boeser, Markstrom, Tanev, and Sutter.    

TOTAL net cap savings = circa 7-8 million.

4) LTIR Ferland.

5) Trade Baertschi at 50% retention:  Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think Baertschi at 50% retention is very doable and some teams would bite on that.   .      

6) Re-up Motte, Virtanen, and MacEwen.   I know some people are down on Virtanen for his off-ice work ethic, hockey IQ, and questionable habits, but the fact of the matter is that the guy was still on pace to netting 20 goals this past season with very limited minutes.   Warts aside, Virtanen is still one of the fastest players in the league and has the potential to play physical.  If you're looking for a guy to take a calculate gamble on it terms of developing his game, it's Virtanen.    I know Benning has thought about using Virtanen as a trade chip, but I don't think the return that Benning would expect would be there, and hence, likely making it a better option to keep Virtanen for now. 

7) Unqualify Stecher and let him walk.   This sucks because I like Stecher and his heart, but this makes sense from a cap perspective.   Someone like Rafferty or Chatfield can replace Stecher long term for much cheaper.   For next season, Benn can be the veteran presence that helps someone like Juolevi acclimate to the NHL before the Canucks themselves let Benn walk in the following season (to clear cap for Pettersson and Hughes). 

Line combinations

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Carlo

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko 

Dubnyk

The Agenda for the 2021 off-season:  

1) Get Eriksson to retire or move him to a cap floor team.    With only 2 million in real dollars remaining, this shouldn't be too difficult at this point.

2) Walk from Edler and Pearson.  This money can be applied towards Pettersson or Hughes.

3) Eriksson and Benn money off the books can be applied towards Pettersson or Hughes.

4) Dubnyk off the books --> This money can be applied towards Demko.   Dipietro steps in as the back-up.

5) If Podkolzin looks like he'll be ready to step for the 2021-2022 season as a top 6 forward, then use Virtanen and a 2022 1st rounder as sweeteners to move Beagle and Roussel in independent deals if necessary (i.e. Virtanen + Beagle or Roussel) + (2022 1st + Beagle or Roussel) in independent deals if we need the extra cap space.   One of Juolevi or Rathbone as a sweetener might also be able to get rid of Beagle or Roussel.

Line combinations:

Virtanen-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Lind

???

Hughes-Carlo

[Rathbone or Juolevi]-Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Chatfield 

Demko

Dipietro

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The Canucks don't necessarily need to take a small step, and can also work around their cap issues fairly easily.

I would be ok if we took a small step back next season (similar to what happened in 2007-2008 after the Canucks made an unexpected 2nd round appearance one year prior), but I also don't think that this will necessarily happen.   People keep talking about our cap issues, but I honestly think that we can work a way around it and still come out ahead.   Here is what I would do, or at least attempt to do.

The Agenda for the 2020 off-season:   

1) Sign Toffoli.  People might disagree with me on this, but I think Toffoli should be our biggest priority out of Markstrom and Tanev (which I will explain later).  Sign Toffoli and solidify the RW spot.

2) Trade Boeser to Boston for Brandon Carlo, which allows us to walk from Tanev.   Most people will be furious at me for suggesting this (and trust me, I'm expecting the :confused: smilies to be rolling in after this post), but this trade would help us in a lot of ways.    Carlo is young, big, very responsible defensively, and would be a terrific 'ying to the yang' for Hughes long term.  Think Muzzin to Doughty.   Furthermore, Carlo is capable of playing on the top pairing.   The presence of Carlo would allow us to walk from Tanev in this off-season, while also allowing us to walk from Edler in the next season.   With Carlo's presence as a top pairing RD for the team long term, it would also put far less pressure on some of our other defensive prospects (i.e. Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Tryamkin) in terms of not expecting them to fill the shoes of Edler and being top pairing defensemen.   The presence of Carlo, in effect, would allow for the aforementioned prospects to settle in as good 2nd pairing dmen.  Anything beyond that would be an added bonus.   People will be upset by the loss of Boeser but honestly, rolling with Toffoli-Eriksson-Virtanen-MacEwen is still quite solid, and replacing Eriksson with Podkolzin in year's time would still likely keep our RW as a strong suit.

3) Trade Sutter for Devan Dubnyk, walk away from Markstrom, make Demko the new #1.     The Sutter for Dubnyk idea was mentioned by someone else in another thread, and I think it's absolutely brilliant.  The Wild get a centre, and the Canucks get a good '1A/1B' veteran goalie that can help Demko ease into the #1 role (Demko can start 60-65% of the starts and can even play more if he proves capable).   After one season, the Canucks can walk away from Dubnyk should possibly give gateway for Dipietro to step in as the back-up (and if not, there would be other vet options out there.....maybe Dubnyk again).    With the presence of both Carlo and Dubnyk, the Canucks can walk away from both Markstrom and Tanev without having lost anything.

IN:  Carlo, Dubnyk.   

OUT:    Boeser, Markstrom, Tanev, and Sutter.    

TOTAL net cap savings = circa 7-8 million.

4) LTIR Ferland.

5) Trade Baertschi at 50% retention:  Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think Baertschi at 50% retention is very doable and some teams would bite on that.   .      

6) Re-up Motte, Virtanen, and MacEwen.   I know some people are down on Virtanen for his off-ice work ethic, hockey IQ, and questionable habits, but the fact of the matter is that the guy was still on pace to netting 20 goals this past season with very limited minutes.   Warts aside, Virtanen is still one of the fastest players in the league and has the potential to play physical.  If you're looking for a guy to take a calculate gamble on it terms of developing his game, it's Virtanen.    I know Benning has thought about using Virtanen as a trade chip, but I don't think the return that Benning would expect would be there, and hence, likely making it a better option to keep Virtanen for now. 

7) Unqualify Stecher and let him walk.   This sucks because I like Stecher and his heart, but this makes sense from a cap perspective.   Someone like Rafferty or Chatfield can replace Stecher long term for much cheaper.   For next season, Benn can be the veteran presence that helps someone like Juolevi acclimate to the NHL before the Canucks themselves let Benn walk in the following season (to clear cap for Pettersson and Hughes). 

Line combinations

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Carlo

Juolevi-Benn

Rafferty

Demko 

Dubnyk

The Agenda for the 2021 off-season:  

1) Get Eriksson to retire or move him to a cap floor team.    With only 2 million in real dollars remaining, this shouldn't be too difficult at this point.

2) Walk from Edler and Pearson.  This money can be applied towards Pettersson or Hughes.

3) Eriksson and Benn money off the books can be applied towards Pettersson or Hughes.

4) Dubnyk off the books --> This money can be applied towards Demko.   Dipietro steps in as the back-up.

5) If Podkolzin looks like he'll be ready to step for the 2021-2022 season as a top 6 forward, then use Virtanen and a 2022 1st rounder as sweeteners to move Beagle and Roussel in independent deals if necessary (i.e. Virtanen + Beagle or Roussel) + (2022 1st + Beagle or Roussel) in independent deals if we need the extra cap space.   One of Juolevi or Rathbone as a sweetener might also be able to get rid of Beagle or Roussel.

Line combinations:

Virtanen-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Lind

???

Hughes-Carlo

[Rathbone or Juolevi]-Myers

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Chatfield 

Demko

Dipietro

wow thats a lot of moving parts.

Hughes-Carlo could be a really nice tandem tho. That one's a bit tantalizing. One other idea that could work as well is offer sheeting Cernak. Tampa likely can't match. He probably doesn't have the offence Carlo has but he's a big mobile partner for Hughes and the offer sheet will likely be less than what Tanev or Carlo will be making and we get to keep Boeser. 

I think we can do better than Dubnyk on the open market tho. 

30 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

wow thats a lot of moving parts.

Hughes-Carlo could be a really nice tandem tho. That one's a bit tantalizing. One other idea that could work as well is offer sheeting Cernak. Tampa likely can't match. He probably doesn't have the offence Carlo has but he's a big mobile partner for Hughes and the offer sheet will likely be less than what Tanev or Carlo will be making and we get to keep Boeser. 

I think we can do better than Dubnyk on the open market tho. 

My only issue with offer sheering Cernak is that we have cap space issues of our own.   The other factor to consider is that offer sheets are often seen as “taboo” in today’s NHL and most offer sheets are usually matched (while giving the GM that made the offer sheet a bad rep amongst the old boys club in the NHL).  

Some people have suggested Virtanen for Cernak, but I don’t think Virtanen has enough value to land such a part.

As far as the Sutter for Dubnyk idea goes, the idea behind this is that both Sutter and Markstrom would come off the books in this deal.  Obviously, we could let Markstrom walk and sign a better 1A goalie than Dubnyk, but Sutter would still be on our books.   Furthermore, we would have the option of walking away from DD at the end of the season if Dipietro looks like he’d be ready to join the team in the following season.   By contrast, if we were to sign a 1A goalie, he likely wouldn’t be willing to sign here for one year.

It’s the same reason why I wouldn’t mind doing a Boeser for [insert young top pairing right handed shot defensively oriented guy]. A deal like that not only clears Boeser’s 5.8 million dollar cap hit (while limiting damage to the right side since we’d be signing Toffoli), but would also allow us to move on from Tanev.

IN:  Dubynk, Carlo

OUT:  Sutter, Boeser, (Markstrom, Tanev = wall)

Net cap savings = Markstrom’s cap hit + Tanev’s cap hit.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

My only issue with offer sheering Cernak is that we have cap space issues of our own.   The other factor to consider is that offer sheets are often seen as “taboo” in today’s NHL and most offer sheets are usually matched (while giving the GM that made the offer sheet a bad rep amongst the old boys club in the NHL).  

Some people have suggested Virtanen for Cernak, but I don’t think Virtanen has enough value to land such a part.

As far as the Sutter for Dubnyk idea goes, the idea behind this is that both Sutter and Markstrom would come off the books in this deal.  Obviously, we could let Markstrom walk and sign a better 1A goalie than Dubnyk, but Sutter would still be on our books.   

It’s the same reason why I wouldn’t mind doing a Boeser for [insert young top pairing right handed shot defensively oriented guy]. A deal like that not only clears Boeser’s 5.8 million dollar cap hit (while limiting damage to the right side since we’d be signing Toffoli), but would also allow us to move on from Tanev.

IN:  Dubynk, Carlo

OUT:  Sutter, Boeser, (Markstrom, Tanev = wall)

Net cap savings = Markstrom’s cap hit + Tanev’s cap hit.

I think the real threat of an offer sheet might be enough to pry Cernak free. I don't the there's really a risk of a 'bad rep' either, it didn't hurt Montreal at all. 

I think we might still need Sutter this year to help develop Gaudette, he's not ready to take over as full time 3C imo.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I think the real threat of an offer sheet might be enough to pry Cernak free. I don't the there's really a risk of a 'bad rep' either, it didn't hurt Montreal at all. 

I think we might still need Sutter this year to help develop Gaudette, he's not ready to take over as full time 3C imo.

To your last point, I’m wondering if the Canucks might consider moving Gaudette I’d they are also moving Sutter.

If Baertschi is deemed ‘unmovable’, then it might be worth the Canucks giving Baertschi Pearson’s spot while packaging Pearson and Gaudette for a good and young two way 3rd line center that can assume defensive responsibilities. 

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Sissons-MacEwen