The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

I wonder if this could also be JP Barry looking around the league to see if there’s any interest in a multi year deal at more than 2 mill a season which is what he’s getting from Vancouver. If they know he’s going to get sent down to the minors in Vancouver for 2 million a season and say a team like LA wouldn’t mind having him at 2 million a year for 2 years in the NHL. Then maybe Barry and Eriksson terminate the contract with the Canucks and sign elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

who said he's going to go to an SEL team? Why can't he just retire and become a scout or something?

Or he can play for two years and collect his $5m. Then retire and become a scout.  He can’t make that kind of money being a scout.  And if the threat is he’ll have to be in a small city to keep playing. Then becoming a scout won’t keep him in Vancouver either. He’d be travelling to every little hole in the wall rink in the country. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

And if Utica doesn't get the job done, then maybe there's Kalamazoo.  Or some beer league in Yellowknife.  Are there any limits on management's ability to loan him once he's cleared waivers?  Benning seems like a decent guy but I could see him getting a certain sadistic pleasure in discussing the possibilities with Loui and his agent.

Only players on ELCs can be loaned to the ECHL.  Players on a regular NHL contract would have to approve the loan.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Or he can play for two years and collect his $5m. Then retire and become a scout.  He can’t make that kind of money being a scout.  And if the threat is he’ll have to be in a small city to keep playing. Then becoming a scout won’t keep him in Vancouver either. He’d be travelling to every little hole in the wall rink in the country. 

I think you're totally missing the point of why he might retire.

1 hour ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Eriksson is attractive to a money tight team. That's why there isn't a sweetener. 

Also he might add if it means getting something good back, he just isn't adding a sweetener to DUMP Eriksson. 

He just isn’t attractive to any team.

No teams need help getting to the cap floor, and you can pick up better players on the open market for less than $2.5 million.   He is overpaid for what he brings, even in just real dollars and ignoring the cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Would he? I'm not so sure they'd let him play to be honest.

You used to sell porta potties in a beautiful metropolitan city, now you clean them in butt &^@# nowhere.

Seems pretty apt to me::D

At the time Ryan Johnson explained that the Canucks felt Gagner would be taking ice time away from developing players and wondered if he'd be happy there.  Instead they decided it was best to loan him to another AHL team.  They even made sure to chose a place with a major airport hub that made it easier for him to rejoin his family during his spare time - his family was staying in Vancouver.  The same could happen with Eriksson.  There might also not be an AHL season either. 

I think people are missing what JB is saying and to whom.......

I think JB is telling Eriksson, status quo.................at best

Eriksson got into 49 games this last season, out of 70ish

And again, was not used much in the playoff, and sat on the bench a great deal

What JB is saying is expect the same....at best!

I also think that JP Barry's actions, say that Loui wants out

And is not prepared to sit again for another 2 years, like he has

That is best case senario..........

Worst case for Loui is that JB has told JP Barry that Eriksson is going down to Utica

as he needs to get the young kids some time on the big club

In either case.......I do not think Loui is very happy with the situation

I also think JB is telling the other GM's that Loui's actual money's owed over the next 2 years

after the bonus was paid, is enough of an incentive

A little cat and mouse being played by JB...............I think!

My bet is Loui is not looking forward to this season as it sits, especially with Utica as a possibility

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You're assuming Cull is willing to waste valuable ice time on a lazy, spoiled piece of garbage who has a history of whining about coaches who publicly defend his absolutely atrocious play  If I was Benning, I'd instruct Cull to ensure LE stays in the press box for the full 2 years in order to not waste ice time that could be given to kids who are willing to make an effort to be NHLers.

LE is deluded if he thinks the Canucks are going to let him float around the ice and be a problem off of it for the rest of his contract.  Most professional players have a sense of pride and would be ashamed of the way LE disgraces the Canucks jersey on a nightly basis.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I wonder if this could also be JP Barry looking around the league to see if there’s any interest in a multi year deal at more than 2 mill a season which is what he’s getting from Vancouver. If they know he’s going to get sent down to the minors in Vancouver for 2 million a season and say a team like LA wouldn’t mind having him at 2 million a year for 2 years in the NHL. Then maybe Barry and Eriksson terminate the contract with the Canucks and sign elsewhere.

Loui actually gets more money in AHL due to the hefty escrow, so he might accept it for at least next short season...  

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're assuming Cull is willing to waste valuable ice time on a lazy, spoiled piece of garbage who has a history of whining about coaches who publicly defend his absolutely atrocious play  If I was Benning, I'd instruct Cull to ensure LE stays in the press box for the full 2 years in order to not waste ice time that could be given to kids who are willing to make an effort to be NHLers.

LE is deluded if he thinks the Canucks are going to let him float around the ice and be a problem off of it for the rest of his contract.  Most professional players have a sense of pride and would be ashamed of the way LE disgraces the Canucks jersey on a nightly basis.

Loui is someone who really can teach the youngster about positioning... Stop whining so much. B)

Sadly it's more than just cap and Eriksson, a sweetner or retained cap means we get more of a chance of keeping Tanev and Marky. I hope JB sees the bigger picture but he might be looking more long-term (eg. When Tanev and Marky are too old anyway).

I would try and trade Loui with 2M retained, that frees up 4M that we can put towards either Markstrom or Tanev. 2M for the Loui mistake for 2 years isn't bad and much better than 6m.

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly it's more than just cap and Eriksson, a sweetner or retained cap means we get more of a chance of keeping Tanev and Marky. I hope JB sees the bigger picture but he might be looking more long-term (eg. When Tanev and Marky are too old anyway).

I would try and trade Loui with 2M retained, that frees up 4M that we can put towards either Markstrom or Tanev. 2M for the Loui mistake for 2 years isn't bad and much better than 6m.

You're still looking at a high pick even at 2M retained.  Not a lot of GMs are going to willingly pay 4 million to a useless floater who should have been sent to the AHL 2 years ago.