The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

13 hours ago, EP40. said:

Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040: “Here’s an update on Loui Eriksson - no trade. What a shock. JP Barry is not a miracle worker, he’s not Houdini. Jim Benning has been trying to move him for 2+ years. The Canucks won’t pick up any part of the cap hit or add a sweetener.”

...this is why we may lose Tanev or/and Marky both to Free Agency. 

This is supposed to be competent GMing? Look I’m proud of where JB got this team to but if the league has transitioned to winning with young players on ELC’s, then having kept Eriksson this long and still not finding a suitor only means our window to win is dented and closed that much more. 

Playoff experience was great and all for the young guns to rally around and improve on. But how can the team get better if you don’t have available funds to be able to strengthen around them when in fact you’ll be doing the opposite actually by having quality roster casualties as a consequence? Eriksson’s cap is preventing a lot this team can do and it’s ability to improve. He wasn’t even played during the playoffs until necessary to fill-in for others so let’s not talk about him being a good role player for the bottom6...he’s not paid to and call a spade a spade, is a buyout worthy player holding this team back. So illogical that this is the stance management is taking :wacko:

Because giving up a 1st to get rid of Marleau's contract has worked out so well for Toronto right? Funny how that move was also considered terrible GMing. No matter what JB does, fans like yourself will find something to complain about. It is what it is.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

He just isn’t attractive to any team.

No teams need help getting to the cap floor, and you can pick up better players on the open market for less than $2.5 million.   He is overpaid for what he brings, even in just real dollars and ignoring the cap hit.

That's the thing, even at leugue minimum he's not worth it. 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

He just isn’t attractive to any team.

No teams need help getting to the cap floor, and you can pick up better players on the open market for less than $2.5 million.   He is overpaid for what he brings, even in just real dollars and ignoring the cap hit.

I guess I just dont understand what this means then. Luckily we have you to fill me in:

Screenshot_20200923-081031_Chrome.jpg.ffe1c07b70526b91eec9bdf45e807185.jpg

Edited by Moose Nuckle

28 minutes ago, rekker said:

That's the thing, even at leugue minimum he's not worth it. 

I think thats a bit too far. If you look at his contribution its still pretty good n some areas. A league min + bonus deal would be useful to some teams. 

40 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I guess I just dont understand what this means then. Luckily we have you to fill me in:

Screenshot_20200923-081031_Chrome.jpg.ffe1c07b70526b91eec9bdf45e807185.jpg

I guess you DON’T understand what that means.

Go look at those few teams that are currently under the cap floor.  They have very few players signed and signing their RFAs easily gets them to the floor.  They don’t need to take on money to get there.

Ottawa is the best example as they are the lowest cap hit right now.  They only have 10 players signed.  They need to spend just $18 million to reach the cap floor.

Re-signing Connor Brown and Chris Tierney will cost in the $7-8 million range at a minimum.  Leaving $11 million to reach the floor, and needing to sign 11 more players for a 23 man roster.... so just $1 million average.

They are also missing a starting goalie and 2 top 4 D out of those 11 remaining players.  Filling any of those slots even with low end guys is going to cost well over a million dollars.  So reaching the cap floor is a certainty.

They don’t NEED help getting to the floor, they will reach it easily without taking on bad contracts.  Maybe they will take on bad contracts, but not because they need them... because they get a good sweetener.

Edited by Provost

Just now, Provost said:

I guess you don’t know what that means.

Go look at those few teams that are currently under the cap floor.  They have very few players signed and signing their RFAs easily gets them to the floor.  They don’t need to take on money to get there.

Ottawa is the best example as they are the lowest cap hit right now.  They only have 10 players signed.  They need to spend just $18 million to reach the cap floor.

Re-signing Connor Brown and Chris Tierney will cost in the $7-8 million range at a minimum.  Leaving $11 million to reach the floor, and needing to sign 11 more players for a 23 man roster.... so just $1 million average.

They are also missing a starting goalie and 2 top 4 D out of those 11 remaining players.  Filling any of those slots even with low end guys is going to cost well over a million dollars.  So reaching the cap floor is a certainty.

They don’t NEED help getting to the floor, they will reach it easily without taking on bad contracts.  Maybe they will take on bad contracts, but not because they need them... because they get a good sweetener.

They arent signing all those rfa. Ottawa is promoting batherson, brown at least and they are picking high again this year so probably slot in another rookie.

Just now, rekker said:

If they don't have some youth they'd rather develop, I suppose.

you need a mix of vets and youth for proper development. Loui would help on the PK for a lot of teams.... but with all the baggage and the covid crunch it looks like we'll be eating Loui's salary this year almost certainly. Which may not be a bad thing if it keeps us from signing even more long term 30+ contracts tbh. 

Only sensible thing is if there is a termination if there was guaranteed contract elsewhere. At 6 million cap hit he just isn’t worth it. If he was at 2M cap hit you could still get a couple more pieces and still have cap to spare of that 6M.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1