The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Holtby has Vancouver on his list.

Just now, Devron44 said:

Would definitely be cool to see Fleury in a Canucks uniform if Vegas retained salary. Not a bad mentor, split duty with young Demko 

According to that interview Clarke coached him in junior which I was not aware of. Woodley claims Clarke would probably like to have Fleury here and would be the ideal goalie coach to help Fleury stayed focused, and his play style would be desired by Clarke.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

According to that interview Clarke coached him in junior which I was not aware of. Woodley claims Clarke would probably like to have Fleury here and would be the ideal goalie coach to help Fleury stayed focused, and his play style would be desired by Clarke.

Yeah maybe they can strike a deal with Vegas. Hard not to like the guy. 

Has a great resume, crazy he’s been tossed around recently. Imagine if Seattle does take him. I imagine they’ll try and go younger though 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

as per Taj who is saying dhaliwal said this, Dhaliwal is the same guy who called the Rouselle, Ericcson, Beagle, Myers and Edler signings before they happened.  

I don't trust Taj as a source because he twists media words and exaggerates them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Kevin Woodley just stated that he doesn't believe Holtby is desired by Ian Clarke and Vancouver, and that he's hoping for term.

This is significant because Woodley is an NHL correspondent. I'm pretty sure he's considerably more credible because he's on the PHWA (who, in turn, is privileged to vote on NHL players).

NHL Correspondents aren't part of the voting panel for players. Corrected.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is significant because Woodley is an NHL correspondent. I'm pretty sure he's considerably more credible because he's on the PHWA (who, in turn, is privileged to vote on NHL players).

Woodley is not member of the PHWA as he is an NHL correspondent and getting income from the NHL.  

The Vancouver media that recently voted on the awards as members of the PHWA are Dayal, Drance, Johnston, MacIntyre and Kuzma.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Kevin Woodley just stated that he doesn't believe Holtby is desired by Ian Clarke and Vancouver, and that he's hoping for term.

He also added that once you correct for shot quality, Holtby is near the bottom of the league.

He is literally the opposite of Markstrom who rockets to the very top of the league once it is adjusted.

It means Holtby benefited from playing on a good team   Coming here and getting peppered is not going to end well for his particular skill set.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Shame if Ian Clark doesn't actually want him. I've warmed to the idea of running a tandem of Demko and Holtby precisely because I think Clark could help his game rebound. 

Vezina, Jennings, Stanley cup. He played for a powerhouse, but he was a huge piece of those teams as well. I think Demko could learn a lot from him.

Holtby also just turned 31, Fleury will be 36 in November. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What numbers do people think Holtby will get this free agency?

Probably the second highest next to Markstrom.  That's a big reason why I don't think they want him here.  If they can free up the big cap hit they'd be giving Markstrom, they will want to use it to strengthen the D around Demko, as well as to bring in another, lesser UFA goalie.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

He also added that once you correct for shot quality, Holtby is near the bottom of the league.

He is literally the opposite of Markstrom who rockets to the very top of the league once it is adjusted.

It means Holtby benefited from playing on a good team   Coming here and getting peppered is not going to end well for his particular skill set.

It's going to be tough for any goalie coming from a solid defensive team.  Woodley calls it insane to think that Greiss or Khudobin could do as well in Vancouver when Dallas, NYI are top-5 defensive teams and Vancouver is bottom-5.  Bobrovsky just experienced it.

Without Markstrom it's going to force them to re-think their approach to defence to help their goalie more.  Fwiw Trotz says defensive play is the easiest thing to fix.  He says defence is not skill based but about character and work ethic.  It's been an issue for some time and you wonder if some coaching help could be beneficial.

Lehner, Crawford, Lundqvist (expected to be bought out), Talbot, Smith, Elliott, Holtby, Greiss and Khudobin are the main UFA goalies.  

The solution might have to be by trade - Fleury seems likely to be moved.  Kuemper is available but they are looking to recoup the draft picks they lost, Andersen also but they are looking to clear cap space, Murray with Rutherford asking for a high draft pick.  It seems like available goalies are more to clear cap space.  How high of a pick are the Canucks willing to give up to get a goalie.   

• Vintage 1