The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Demko to Ottawa

Provost

I am still slightly on the let Markstrom go camp, but if we could extract value from Demko in a trade it could change the calculation.

Ottawa isn’t re-signing their goalie and Nilsson doesn’t cut the mustard.

Maybe something like:

Demko

Gaudette

Eriksson

for

Tierney

their late 1st (I dream about one of their higher ones but don’t think that is realistic)

They get some cheaper young players but keep enough cap hit that doesn’t cost dollars in Eriksson.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 2

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am still slightly on the let Markstrom go camp, but if we could extract value from Demko in a trade it could change the calculation.

Ottawa isn’t re-signing their goalie and Nilsson doesn’t cut the mustard.

Maybe something like:

Demko

Gaudette

Eriksson

for

Tierney

their late 1st (I dream about one of their higher ones but don’t think that is realistic)

They get some cheaper young players but keep enough cap hit that doesn’t cost dollars in Eriksson.

I would love to see Ottawa take that deal but I doubt they will. I believe Demko would be the sweetner to get a team to take Loui's contract with no more than a 5th to 7th rounder coming back to us. If correct, that means they are giving us Tierney and a 1st for Gaudette and that is not likely to happen. I think Ottawa would prefer Jake over Gaudette with maybe a 2nd rounder coming back.

I get that Ottawa would be getting a low salary with a high cap hit they could afford but I just don't see them making what I believe would be an above market trade for Loui. Just my take and I would love to be wrong and see your proposal happen.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would love to see Ottawa take that deal but I doubt they. I believe Demko would be the sweetner to get a team to take Loui's contract with no more than a 5th to 7th rounder coming back to us. If correct, that means they are giving us Tierney and a 1st for Gaudette and that is not likely to happen. I think Ottawa would prefer Jake over Gaudette with maybe a 2nd rounder coming back.

I get that Ottawa would be getting a low salary with a high cap hit they could afford but I just don't see them making what I believe would be an above market trade for Loui. Just my take and I would love to be wrong and see your proposal happen.

The goalie market is hard to gauge, but I don’t see Demko as a sweetener just to take on an average $2.5 million salary.

Eriksson’s cap hit is irrelevant to them.  Owing him $1 million this coming season and an average of $2.5 million is what is relevant.

I see it more as Demko for the late 1st (it is almost a 2nd) which he is easily worth to me... if not slightly higher, and then Gaudette and Eriksson for Tierney.

Those three roster players combined cost them just  $3 million in salary next year, less than what just Tierney will cost them.  Never mind what it would otherwise cost for them to add a starting goalie to platoon with Nilsson.

I would absolutely put Virtanen in that deal, I just don’t think an RFA with an unknown arbitration number is attractive to them.

Edited by Provost

I believe Dorion said they weren't going to re-sign Andersson, and so I wonder who they have in mind to play goal.  OTT has 3 1st round picks this year I think. Wow, so I imagine they might be interested.

Maybe the deal will be Demko and Eriksson for one of their late 1sts? Yes, Loui makes a bit (although not $6 anymore), but Demko doesn't make much. That would be very enticing for a rebuilding team looking for a goalie of the future. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Dorion said they weren't going to re-sign Andersson, and so I wonder who they have in mind to play goal.  OTT has 3 1st round picks this year I think. Wow, so I imagine they might be interested.

Maybe the deal will be Demko and Eriksson for one of their late 1sts? Yes, Loui makes a bit (although not $6 anymore), but Demko doesn't make much. That would be very enticing for a rebuilding team looking for a goalie of the future. 

That statement about Andersson was the genesis for this proposal.   They need a starting goalie.. those cost a lot of money on the open market.  At least $2.5 even for a 1B guy who they can hope miraculously has a good year.

Demko is one of the top goalie prospects in the league and costs $1 million.  They have a veteran in Nillson who can also play some games.

Demko would represent both the cheapest option combined with an actual ability to give solid goaltending.  That has to be worth something to them.

2 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I'd expect Ottawa to check out what Markstrom wants first. If he's in play they don't have to give Vancouver anything.

Ottawa isn’t spending $6 million a year for a top end goalie, and Markstrom isn’t signing to get shelled and lose every night there if he has any other options... which he does.

Ottawa isn’t getting any decent UFAs.  They are getting cast offs and players who are under club control and have no other choice.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

They have a veteran in Nillson who can also play some games.

an ex-Canuck as well, he would be a decent backup for Demko

I don't know, I hate to lose Demmer, but if I'm OTT with that wealth of picks, I'm pitching Benning a nice offer.

Hmm, just realized, the problem with trading Demko and re-signing Markstrom, is that Demko helps them with their cap issues. Benning also said that Demko was the Canucks goalie of the future, so I'm not sure he will be traded after all.

Ah well, interesting thought, these trade ideas with OTT. Could still be deals to be made with them though. 

32 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would love to see Ottawa take that deal but I doubt they will. I believe Demko would be the sweetner to get a team to take Loui's contract with no more than a 5th to 7th rounder coming back to us. If correct, that means they are giving us Tierney and a 1st for Gaudette and that is not likely to happen. I think Ottawa would prefer Jake over Gaudette with maybe a 2nd rounder coming back.

Jake for a 2nd?  Where's Benning so I can grab his wrist to sign, and buy Jake's plane ticket?

• Haha 1

I understand potentially using Demko to move a contract, but I'm not overly sold on the idea of selling Demko to recoup picks. 

It's almost October, Markstrom will be 31 in January. How long can he sustain the level of play he's had the last two seasons?

Demko will be 25 in December, his being younger theoretically helps us with an extended window. If we trade him in favour of Markstrom how long will it be before we're looking for another replacement? I like DiPietro as a prospect, but I'm not sure I'd count on him as a successor over Demko. 

Why would we move Demko for a pick or two when odds are we're getting a mid first tops and spending likely at least a few years waiting for whoever we select to develop. Is freeing up some cap space a year early as opposed to buying out Loui next season really worth it? 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hmm, just realized, the problem with trading Demko and re-signing Markstrom, is that Demko helps them with their cap issues. Benning also said that Demko was the Canucks goalie of the future, so I'm not sure he will be traded after all.

Ah well, interesting thought, these trade ideas with OTT. Could still be deals to be made with them though. 

Moving Eriksson also helps with our cap issues...

Keeping Demko is great, but if you can get value for him and we have the ability to sign Markstrom we end up in a good spot.

Also imagine following up the original proposal with flipping the 1st we get.

To Tampa:

late 1st from Ottawa

Woo

+? a mid/low pick?

To Van:

Killorn

Cernak

Then Tampa has cap space to sign their RFAs who are currently risking being rendered offer sheets that they can’t match.  We get a nasty 2nd pairing young RD and a solid top 6 veteran forward.

Edited by Provost