The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

He threw out a rumour that Boston and Vancouver were working on a deal for Virtanen.  He listed it as an E4, which seems to basically mean he heard it from another writer rather than a team source.
https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/FloridaPittsburgh-Deal-Stamkos-Virtanen-ByfuglienHabs-Buzz1/1/107538

It has been mentioned as speculation in Boston reports as well, so that could be where it originated.  The Boston report was a couple of days before Eklund picked it up.  The Boston report confirms the two teams have spoken, but spitballed about either Boeser or Virtanen with MacEvoy and Carlo as being targets of interest for the Canucks.

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2020/09/21/source-boston-bruins-and-vancouver-canucks-had-trade-talks/

I find it believable in a general sense.  Then again, probably 50 trades ideas are talked about by GMs for every one that actually comes to fruition.

Boston is a team with some cap space and almost a fully signed roster.  On the side against this being a true rumour is that they already have to work out a deal for Debrusk so adding another wildcard RFA into the mix seems odd until that gets sorted.  

I really can't see what we would be taking back without more context.  Carlo would be a target for sure as a young RHD but that would take a lot more than Jake to get.  There are also reports that Boston's owner isn't exactly flush with real money as his core businesses are badly suffering due to Covid, so he might want to shed real dollars for some cap concerns as part of a deal.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Even though it is only Eklund who's rumouring, I find it interesting. I can see BOS being interested in Virtanen, the same way they were interested in Neely lol 

... well it seems that it is Eklund getting it from Boston as per the links in the OP so it isn't out of his fevered imagination or proposals from fan boards (which his E3 ratings generally indicate).  There is a bunch of chatter in the Boston boards about it as the writer does seem to have connection with the team but is also known for sensationalized stuff.  It seems like Eklund took that fairly reliable "Boston and Vancouver have been talking trade since their playoffs ended" and morphed it into a Virtanen specific rumour.

On the Boston pages they are thinking any trade would either Virtanen or Boeser and Carlo as the main piece going out.  Clearly us adding if it was Virtanen, and them adding if it was Boeser.  There was also a comment about moving out Rask with money retained and being able to take cap back with fewer dollars attached.

Anyways... interesting to spitball.  I can imagine Benning has had talks with any team that happens to have a top end young RHD that is even remotely available.  I take Carlo as a partner for Hughes any day really, he is right up there with guys like Severson, Ekblad, etc to me as really good fits.

Edited by Provost

Just now, aGENT said:

Broken clocks being right twice a day and all :lol:

Ha!  I just see that Virtanen is the odd man out here, which I don't love, and seems like a good fit with the Bruins.  They have the space to bring in a couple of middle 6 guys with upside.  I'd take a project prospect like Zboril back, or a Dman like Lauzon, with an add from them depending on who the return is.

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

don't they have debrusk who is like Virtanen but better?

Carlo for Virtanen + Stecher+Rafferty

I don't get why they don't want Krug back... they have enough cap space, maybe they are hurting for actual and wont be a cap team. In this case, they may move Carlo who is due for a big raise next year.

I don't see that we would get Carlo for anything other than Boeser.  Carlo is a giant defensive top 4 D at 23.  He instantly becomes our 2nd best D behind Hughes.  

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

don't they have debrusk who is like Virtanen but better?

Carlo for Virtanen + Stecher+Rafferty

I don't get why they don't want Krug back... they have enough cap space, maybe they are hurting for actual and wont be a cap team. In this case, they may move Carlo who is due for a big raise next year.

That is one of the speculations from the Boston side, about real dollars.  Their owner’s money is all from his company Delaware North.  Their core business is lodging, airport, gambling, hospitality, and entertainment events.  Probably no owner hit harder than that combo of industries killed by Covid.

I can see the talks happening for sure.  I even believe they have been ongoing.  It could be one of 50 balls in the air that Benning has going to try to fix things this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't see that we would get Carlo for anything other than Boeser.  Carlo is a giant defensive top 4 D at 23.  He instantly becomes our 2nd best D behind Hughes.  

The question is do you do that Boeser for Carlo deal?

Even Boston fans say they would have to add in that trade.  Carlo is a good, but not elite guy.  If Boston has cap space but a lack of real dollars, could that add be us dumping cap by moving Eriksson back to them?

Starts getting interesting just thinking about them as a trading partner.

Do they see a line with Debrusk and Virtanen as young wingers as something to start transitioning to being younger?