The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

give bruins virtanen and he def gets a cup win  they will tell him to hit anything that moves i hate bruins but if jake was on team maybe id buy a virtanen jersey 

im not giving gaudette and jake for carlo no way or a first in 21 hard pass 

we could get ekblad for boeser, stecher and a first 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Even though it is only Eklund who's rumouring, I find it interesting. I can see BOS being interested in Virtanen, the same way they were interested in Neely lol 

I'm afraid this really could happen with Jake... not as great as Neely but it could bite us in the ass down the road if Jake matures.

If he gets traded it could be a wake up call to quit the nose beers, partying and girls and focus on hockey.... if he does that he's easily a 30 goal scorer that plays a truculent style. If he met a nice girl and settled down that would definitely do it.

6 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

After Cam Neeley I dont think that's a good idea. 

Neely was only 21 when we dealt him.  Virtanen is 24.  Jake still has some upside but it wasn't nearly as much as when he was 21.  That said, I don't want to trade him & think he'll be a solid 2nd/3rd liner (you can put him in either a offensive or checking role - more versality) for us in the years to come.  

Agree as well on not helping Boston *in any way*.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We are probably 3 years away from being a legit contender for the cup in my eyes.  Next year make the playoffs, year after win a round or two, 3rd year when we are out from all these bad deals, take a real run at it.  We don't need to make an earth shattering deal right now, because we don't know what our needs will be, or how or 4 or 5 top D prospects develop, and we have time .  Trading a 23 year old core piece ike Boeser, who has a ton of potential to fill a gap right now is too soon.  We are far more than a Carlo away at this point.

Not sure if this only makes sense to me, but I feel we need to let this team develop and find it's way before trading major parts of it quite yet.

I tend to agree. While I would never say no if the right deal came along (Boeser for Provorov!?), now is not likely the time to move a young, potential core, player like Boeser to fill perceived holes elsewhere.

We need to see how guys like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc pan out. Who do we lose in expansion? Do we pick up any unqualified RFA's etc, etc before jumping in to that particular pool.

This coming year should be about cutting fat/figuring out who we think we can/can't win with, and getting increasing looks at the guys noted above.

19 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We are probably 3 years away from being a legit contender for the cup in my eyes.  Next year make the playoffs, year after win a round or two, 3rd year when we are out from all these bad deals, take a real run at it.  We don't need to make an earth shattering deal right now, because we don't know what our needs will be, or how or 4 or 5 top D prospects develop, and we have time .  Trading a 23 year old core piece ike Boeser, who has a ton of potential to fill a gap right now is too soon.  We are far more than a Carlo away at this point.

Not sure if this only makes sense to me, but I feel we need to let this team develop and find it's way before trading major parts of it quite yet.

We just won a round or two. While it would be tough to lose Boeser, Carlo is no chump change of a return. He's also a 23 year old that could be a core piece in the future in a position where we have a bigger hole. We have plenty of wingers coming up, none that could fill Boeser immediately, but would soften the blow. A Boeser for Carlo deal also frees up 3 million (assuming this is the major core of the deal with picks moved and not other contracts) which helps us now to keep us rolling with the season we just had. Petey and Quinn are likely players that don't feel at all that we are years away, so we might as well take advantage of their ELCs. We have plenty of contract coming up as early as next season and have an excellent player in Podkolzin that could step right into a big role here much like EP and Quinn have done so (especially given that Pod has had a couple of years in a men's league that's arguably the next best league after the NHL to develop). And the general consensus is that we would get something on top of Carlo if we move Boeser, so we might even get a 2nd/3rd back as well which accomplishes another goal of ours to add more picks this year.

Carlo might not be the answer for next year alone, but adding him could allow us to sign our big 3 UFAs and massively upgrade the defense while not taking a huge his at forward with Toffoli assuming his old role and have several players that could take the next step into a bigger offensive role in Lind, Hoglander, MacEwen, Virtanen or even Gaudette if tried on wing. Also, let's not factor in the fact that we have room to protect another defender from expansion while we don't have that luxury at forward in which moving Boeser also allows. There's the whole Demko and Marky debate about that, but if we expose Myers, he just might be enticing enough as a top 4 dman that they go that route as well freeing up 6 million more in cap space next season and we replace him with Tryamkin.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I don't know thats a reason to hold up a deal. He hasn't earned a NTC yet. I'd prefer to keep him but if Boston wanted him in a Carlo deal I think you go for it. 

For sure. He's going to a situation, on a team that wants to play him. 

38 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm afraid this really could happen with Jake... not as great as Neely but it could bite us in the ass down the road if Jake matures.

If he gets traded it could be a wake up call to quit the nose beers, partying and girls and focus on hockey.... if he does that he's easily a 30 goal scorer that plays a truculent style. If he met a nice girl and settled down that would definitely do it.

I agree. If Jake's being traded to the Bruins, a room filled with grit, with Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, etc. holding court, his mindset will change real fast. The Bruins have a physical, hard playing mentality and style. Jake will know exactly what they want from him, and he will either sink or swim. But if he swims...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

give bruins virtanen and he def gets a cup win  they will tell him to hit anything that moves i hate bruins but if jake was on team maybe id buy a virtanen jersey 

im not giving gaudette and jake for carlo no way or a first in 21 hard pass 

we could get ekblad for boeser, stecher and a first 

We told Jake to  hit anything that moves , maybe he misunderstood and thought that meant every bar and every puck bunny around? It will be the same in Boston, no reason to think otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm skeptical that Boston would/should/could move one of their young top 4 RHD - McAvoy or Carlo  - I just don't see why they'd look to do that.

Good targets, of course, but realistically, Boston doesn't exactly have successors making that deal make sense, and the price to do so for their trade partners - probably not particularly opportune.  

Whether they might take interest in Virtanen - imo it doesn't necessarily follow that those D would/could be 'available'.

I think a better option is probably, again, Tampa, where a Cal Foote remains on their depth chart in behind Cernak - eligible for the expansion draft - and probably a more 'realistic' take - although Tampa's phones are probably ringing 24/7 right now....

Asset costs considered - Tanev would remain the priority - with a potential additional RHD making sense, but not necessarily as an immediate 'replacement' imo.

I do/did like the idea of an LE+ for Stralman type deal - which may have also opened up more younger RHD succession options as well - but the Matheson deal may have sailed that ship (if it in fact concludes...)

Edited by oldnews

Jake will only be dealt with a cap dump and I don’t see Boston carrying dead weight contracts as they are a cap limit team. The Canucks have hardly any assets to use for cap dumps. This would never make sense.

Jake will likely be sent to Ottawa, Arizona or Florida. Not Boston

9 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

We told Jake to  hit anything that moves , maybe he misunderstood and thought that meant every bar and every puck bunny around? It will be the same in Boston, no reason to think otherwise.

obviously jakes living his best life im ok with that.  Party jake still has better  advanced stats that 70 percent of our team let that sink in 

• Wat 2