The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

If we do get Carlo somehow, I could see us going with Myers, Carlo and Tanev. We would expose Myers as an expansion shield hoping they take him (to protect Demko and some young forwards like Lind and MacEwen while removing 6 million in cap space for the EP/QH extension season) and we add Tryamkin. Jett Woo will hopefully develop when Tanev is about ready to go.

It would likely be Boeser, so hopefully we can get Carlo and a 2nd in return. This would go along with the rumours that Boeser has been discussed as a trade option and fulfill us getting picks back. In the meantime, it would shed about 3 million for this coming season as well. Buying out Sutter and we should be able to sign all three of our big UFAs. Losing Boeser would be tough, but this would massively upgrade the defense (Carlo>>>Stecher). Toffoli replaces top line talent while Hoglander/Lind/MacEwen/Virtanen even potentially Gaudette get serious looks in that top 6 hole, with Podkolzin being the near future option as well. Could still see us moving Virtanen as well, if we need to save further cap, but could also see us signing him short term and moving him during the next season or offseason.

• Cheers 1

Underlying numbers, point shares, age etc between Virtanen and Carlo is pretty comparable. Carlo is worth more being a defenseman, but what about:

Virtanen + Lottery Protected 2021 1st round pick + 2020 4th round pick for Carlo + 2020 2nd round pick

Next draft we don't have a 1st or 2nd so it will be nice bringing the 2nd. The value between say a 18th and a 55th is fairly sizeable, plus an addition 4th, might close the value gap. Carlo is good but he is far from great. 

Edited by canucklehead44

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Looking at the Bruins needs and tradeable assets vs Canucks needs and tradeable assets there are a lot of scenarios that make sense for both sides. Hockey type deals. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a deal, or multi player deal between the two teams. 

I just can't see Boeser for Carlo tho for many reasons. But maybe Jake and AG? or Jake + Rathbone + Rafferty?

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Underlying numbers, point shares, age etc between Virtanen and Carlo is pretty comparable. Carlo is worth more being a defenseman, but what about:

Virtanen + Lottery Protected 2021 1st round pick + 2020 4th round pick for Carlo + 2020 2nd round pick

Next draft we don't have a 1st or 2nd so it will be nice bringing the 2nd. The value between say a 18th and a 55th is fairly sizeable, plus an addition 4th, mine close the value gap. 

I guess then we do not resign Tanev and that saves us the cap to resign toff and Marky?

e5 is to be taken with a box of salt.    e4....wake me up when there's 'real' news.

from the more interesting Boston source, appropriately named Jimmy Murphy....

One Canucks forward that is definitely on the trade block is 24-year-old Jake Virtanen.

however, "definitely" is an interpretation of this....

“I thought he worked and competed hard in the playoffs. He scored that big goal for us in Game 6. To be perfectly honest with you, though, I was expecting more from Jake in the playoffs,” Benning said. “He can skate, he’s strong. He can get to the net. He’s a guy we’re going to have to talk about here going forward. We’ve been patient with him in his development, but he’s a guy I was expecting to produce more for us.”

"definitely" is over-stated -a step further than can be assumed from those comments.

Benning being interested in McAvoy with Boeser as a principal - would be plausible, if not, however, wishful.  Like the Ekblad rumors, perhaps the work of blogger types moreso than 'NHL sources'.

Virtanen for Carlo?   Interesting spitball material as well - but when it's all based on assumptons like Virtanen "definitely on the trade block" = that involves some liberal interpretation/reading into what was actually said.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

It became clear that there was a medical emergency involving his newborn daughter that required him to go home and deal with.  None of his teammates threw him under the bus about it at all and supported him.

I have kids and would think it would be poor character to stay playing hockey instead of taking care of my family during an emergency.

ah well, in those circumstances, then I can understand

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Exactly - Carlo takes Tanev's salary and we replace Virtanen (likely $3M) with a player making $1M-$1.5 (Leivo or big Mac internally) 

I think a hughes-Carlo pairing could be pretty amazing for years to come, not to mention when tryamkin comes back. Love Tanev but he maybe has 1-2 great seasons left, totally agree with trying to revamp the back end now while we have some assets and to target someone younger.

20 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I just can't see Boeser for Carlo tho for many reasons. But maybe Jake and AG? or Jake + Rathbone + Rafferty?

They would have to add for a Boeser for Carlo trade. Carlo really intrigues me though. Perfect age for this group. Carlo's game with Hughes would remind me of  the Karlsson and Methot pairing. Which was absolutely dynamite. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1