The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Virtanen to Boston?

Provost

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm skeptical that Boston would/should/could move one of their young top 4 RHD - McAvoy or Carlo  - I just don't see why they'd look to do that.

Good targets, of course, but realistically, Boston doesn't exactly have successors making that deal make sense, and the price to do so for their trade partners - probably not particularly opportune.  

Whether they might take interest in Virtanen - imo it doesn't necessarily follow that those D would/could be 'available'.

I think a better option is probably, again, Tampa, where a Cal Foote remains on their depth chart in behind Cernak - eligible for the expansion draft - and probably a more 'realistic' take - although Tampa's phones are probably ringing 24/7 right now....

Asset costs considered - Tanev would remain the priority - with a potential additional RHD making sense, but not necessarily as an immediate 'replacement' imo.

I do/did like the idea of an LE+ for Stralman type deal - which may have also opened up more younger RHD succession options as well - but the Matheson deal may have sailed that ship (if it in fact concludes...)

It's possible that they move Debrusk+ for a dman. If they do get Jake in return, he would be cheaper than what I think Debrusk is asking for. By saving there, perhaps they move a Debrusk package for a Ristolainen or something. Although it would make sense for them to get Boeser as he would actually be an upgrade on Debrusk, but they can't afford as high of a price on a dman in return, but they could maybe get a Jokiharju+ package for Debrusk in that case.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Comparing the trading of Jake Virtanen to Cam Neely, a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest power forwards in NHL history...  :lol:

Neely wasn't a hall of famer when he got traded. He had a great shot, and incredible fists; however he was not a good skater and the smaller rink in Boston did wonders for him.

I didn't like the trade, but anyone that says they knew Cam was going to be a hall of famers is full of b.s.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sheltered minutes will do that for you. 

Virtanen isn't 'sheltered'. 

Perhaps you're confusing him with Gaudette.

(but the better 'advanced stats' than 70% of the team is also a curious/wishful claim).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I don't know thats a reason to hold up a deal. He hasn't earned a NTC yet. I'd prefer to keep him but if Boston wanted him in a Carlo deal I think you go for it. 

Again, I don't think Carlo is worth risking our reputation to an entire region of players. NCAA has been good to us, why make us look flaky for a defensive d-man that won't drastically change our blueline by himself. If someone wanted to throw us a John Carlson or Roman Josi for Rathbone+ sure. But Carlo? Nah, lets not be beer league and instead honor a deal made to a guy that could have just left us high and dry if he wanted to be in Boston.

Edited by N7Nucks

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Neely wasn't a hall of famer when he got traded. He had a great shot, and incredible fists; however he was not a good skater and the smaller rink in Boston did wonders for him.

I didn't like the trade, but anyone that says they knew Cam was going to be a hall of famers is full of b.s.

Neely played half his games on the road, not in the smaller rink.  He was great in the small rink as well as the regular rinks.  I'm sure nobody in Vancouver thought he would become a Hall of Famer because then I'm sure he never would have been traded.  What I find amusing is people putting Jake Virtanen and Cam Neely in the same sentence.  That would be real funny to people who actually watched Neely play his whole career.  Jake couldn't hold Cam's jock strap...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Neely played half his games on the road, not in the smaller rink.  He was great in the small rink as well as the regular rinks.  I'm sure nobody in Vancouver thought he would become a Hall of Famer because then I'm sure he never would have been traded.  What I find amusing is people putting Jake Virtanen and Cam Neely in the same sentence.  That would be real funny to people who actually watched Neely play his whole career.  Jake couldn't hold Cam's jock strap...

Were you even born when Neely was playing?  Aren't you like 21 years old there mister Petterson?

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

After Cam Neeley I dont think that's a good idea. Anyone but Boston if we do trade him

Obviously, Boston came out ahead with Cam Neely in that trade, as well as drafting Glen Welsley with what ended up being the 3rd overall pick that was included in the trade.  However, if we could get a similar player in return for Virtanen, without including the draft pick,  I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. 

People forget that Barry Pederson was an exceptional hockey player.  He had scored over 100 points twice in his career before Vancouver traded for him, and his last season in Boston, he was 44th in league scoring, and was only 24 years old.

If we could trade Virtanen for last season's 44th scorer, we'd end up with Sean Couturier!:towel:

Get 'er done Jim!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Again, I don't think Carlo is worth risking our reputation to an entire region of players. NCAA has been good to us, why make us look flaky for a defensive d-man that won't drastically change our blueline by himself. If someone wanted to throw us a John Carlson or Roman Josi for Rathbone+ sure. But Carlo? Nah, lets not be beer league and instead honor a deal made to a guy that could have just left us high and dry if he wanted to be in Boston.

I'm not clear on why it would damage our reputation? the kid would be happy to play near his family. 

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

obviously jakes living his best life im ok with that.  Party jake still has better  advanced stats that 70 percent of our team let that sink in 

Literally every centre that plays with Jake scores fewer goals than they normally would. Every line that Virtanen gets put on scores less than they normally would. Teams have way more success getting to the centre of the ice when Jake's shift is on. The idea that JV is an advanced stats darling is totally out to lunch. If he goes to arbitration he could get 3mil and that is about 1 million too much. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

I actually think Carlo makes sense for the Canucks blue line.  Big, right handed Willie Mitchell type.

Further, Boston is one of the teams I thought would have to make tough choices with their defense with the comming expansion draft.

Boeser no way.  Virtanen yes, let's make that deal.  Could help both clubs and both players.

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Literally every centre that plays with Jake scores fewer goals than they normally would. Every line that Virtanen gets put on scores less than they normally would. Teams have way more success getting to the centre of the ice when Jake's shift is on. The idea that JV is an advanced stats darling is totally out to lunch. If he goes to arbitration he could get 3mil and that is about 1 million too much. 

I want to see your proof for this bold claim. 

• Cheers 1