The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Much Power Does Chris Gear Have?

Rate this topic

Lazurus

On 9/24/2020 at 1:37 PM, Lazurus said:

Promoted on Jan 7 to Assistant General Manager from being in an advisory committee position.

He is described as having contract and cap management.

I wonder because Benning has not negotiated or signed a single contract in 12 months now.

You would think that a decision between Markstrom and Demko would have been solved well before February 1 and Markstrom signed well before his contract ran out. Covid was an unknown back then so that is not a reason.

But then all contracts are being allowed to run out even in the front office.

Under Benning the team value has dropped by over a quarter of a billion dollars, he has spent well over 500 million on player and front office contracts and the team's win loss record is pretty dismal over a 7 year period.

That is pretty significant amount of money the Aquilini's have allowed Benning, pretty much unrestricted.

So along comes Chris Gear, basically a cap guy that was also writing up contracts for Benning, doing the legal work, following instructions and now he in charge of getting control of finances.

I wonder just how much say he has now? Benning has never restrained himself with contracts over the last 7 years so is Gear in charge of that part now?

Do you forget when JB took over this team it was a total joke? Or did you miss that part? And do you miss the part of where we are now? And where we'll be in 2 years?  Aquaman decided to hire a GM knowing JB had zero experience as a GM but he let him spend to the cap as it came available and now we actually have a team that has a winning pedigree core (and people still have _ _ _ t to say) yeah JB made mistakes but quickly learned from it and pissed me off a few times but started hitting home runs and now we have a team that's almost there and a farm that's doing better that's EVER has! So honestly I could care less who does what as long as things keep going and be a legit elite team for a long time not just a one time cup deal is fine with me, after watching this since 1974, i'd usually settle for a one timer but as long as an experienced JB is at the helm we'll be "THAT" team we've been waiting for... So is it worth caring about what happens since it's only going to get better? 

Edited by iceman64

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Do you forget when JB took over this team it was a total joke? Or did you miss that part? And do you miss the part of where we are now? And where we'll be in 2 years?  Aquaman decided to hire a GM knowing JB had zero experience as a GM but he let him spend to the cap as it came available and now we actually have a team that has a winning pedigree core (and people still have _ _ _ t to say) yeah JB made mistakes but quickly learned from it and pissed me off a few times but started hitting home runs and now we have a team that's almost there and a farm that's doing better that's EVER has! So honestly I could care less who does what as long as things keep going and be a legit elite team for a long time not just a one time cup deal is fine with me, after watching this since 1974, i'd usually settle for a one timer but as long as an experienced JB is at the helm we'll be "THAT" team we've been waiting for... So is it worth caring about what happens since it's only going to get better? 

fwiw - Linden hired Benning.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

What GM has GM experience before becoming a GM? Benning was the Bruins AGM for 8 years before the promotion. I consider that qualifying experience and far from zero. Some may have preferred an experienced GM but if they're available it's typically because they've been fired. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

What GM has GM experience before becoming a GM? Benning was the Bruins AGM for 8 years before the promotion. I consider that qualifying experience and far from zero. Some may have preferred an experienced GM but if they're available it's typically because they've been fired. 

Well I'd have preferred someone experienced too, just because someone was fired it doesn't mean it was a bad thing if they couldn't pull something together fast enough or a different idea than an owner, lots of reasons..  However you can watch someone and help until the cows come home but walking into Vancouver of all places, your ass in just barely out of the wind so to speak because fans demand instant results here without having to actually build a hockey team and depth like we finally have now, but unless you have been a GM and know the ropes, it's a lot easier said then done but he's learned along the way and you can bet he's finally getting it that, that's exactly what we need is like the Bruins of old but faster and more balanced with grit is the winning end result, is he getting us there? Yeah I'd say so.. we have G position looking really good, top 6 looks like a real top 6, bottom 6 forwards need to be tweaked and D of course then we're done and then all we need is playing time with constant turn over in players will be a nice switch for a change no? 

14 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well like Aquaman didn't agree to it? There's no way I'd let my hockey ops manager hire someone without my ok to it and I don't think you would either..

Linden was - publicly - given full jurisdiction over hockey decisions.  He hired Benning.  If Aquilini's word is worth a single letter, then no - Linden did not have to ask his permission to choose Benning as the next GM - and I'm not sure you're considering the real context in which this happened at the time (the fact Aquilini had to make that public statement, period, ought to indicate something to you.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Linden was - publicly - given full jurisdiction over hockey decisions.  He hired Benning.  If Aquilini's word is worth a single letter, then no - Linden did not have to ask his permission to choose Benning as the next GM - and I'm not sure you're considering the real context in which this happened at the time (the fact Aquilini had to make that public statement, period, ought to indicate something to you.

That only happens to a point, at the end of the day Benning was/is getting paid by FA, not Linden or anyone else. However it was a decent hockey call and now it's starting to produce which you'd think everyone would be happier about than the crappy team that was only good during the season but nothing more. Then of course, he's not done yet. 

Some would have rather saw him fired but then why waste all that learning he's done and done well at finally?  Kind of like why JV hasn't been shown the door yet due to time investment but that's on him, he hasn't done near enough to hold a roster spot but if you put JB in a scenario like that at GM he has done enough and then some BUT he's not done yet

The great thing about conspiracy theories (such as Aquilini interference) is: no evidence required. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Two Presidents Trophies and a trip to the finals. I'm guessing you're one of those "if you don't win the cup it was a wasted season" people.

Exactly, I've been watching since 74.. ya think? You can win at everything else but without a single cup, who cares? 

19 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Wasn't this the same thing said 4 years ago? How much better the team was? Winning pedigree? How can losing 50 games a year be a winning environment? Even last year they were trending to over 40 losses. The last 6 weeks they were 7W and 11L, with Toffoli and Markstrom and all basically healthy except Ferland.

Still why hasn't there been ANY negotiations with anybody? The only reported talk is Marky and the team and that is extremely negative, not on the same planet.

It seems to me the cap is going to take priority this year without trading ANY young players.

\why do so many other teams want Virtanen? Why is he listed in the top ten trade bait stuff? Why isn't any of the other guys out there?

Gear is an accountant and lawyer, with a new job and new responsibilities. Might be painful for one season but then the team was stepping back just because of the cap and covid.

Edited by Lazurus

17 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The great thing about conspiracy theories (such as Aquilini interference) is: no evidence required. 

the great thing about drama as well - all it takes is a keyword/trigger.

no 'conspiracy' theory required whatsoever - Linden hired Benning - it was his job to select a GM - he did so.

the great thing about drama as well - all it takes is a keyword/trigger.

no 'conspiracy' theory required whatsoever - Linden hired Benning - it was his job to select a GM - he did so.

It doesn't matter what is said though. If it's something they don't like they point their finger at Aquilini. Linden is liked after all.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Exactly, I've been watching since 74.. ya think? You can win at everything else but without a single cup, who cares? 

I don't worry about the cup. I wouldn't mind seeing the Nucks win it but it won't change my life at all. All I truly care about is seeing good hockey. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Wasn't this the same thing said 4 years ago? How much better the team was? Winning pedigree? How can losing 50 games a year be a winning environment? Even last year they were trending to over 40 losses. The last 6 weeks they were 7W and 11L, with Toffoli and Markstrom and all basically healthy except Ferland.

Still why hasn't there been ANY negotiations with anybody? The only reported talk is Marky and the team and that is extremely negative, not on the same planet.

It seems to me the cap is going to take priority this year without trading ANY young players.

\why do so many other teams want Virtanen? Why is he listed in the top ten trade bait stuff? Why isn't any of the other guys out there?

Gear is an accountant and lawyer, with a new job and new responsibilities. Might be painful for one season but then the team was stepping back just because of the cap and covid.

Well winning pedigree is a team wide mindset where everyone plays for each other, afraid to let the team down. Yes I guess other might have said that 4 years ago but no way I'd agree, compare rosters is a simple start.. plus then we had hardly any depth like we do now but a competitive drive to be the best and having elite-ish means to do so, Bo has taken over his spot, Alien is out of this world, TJ Miller scored the most points on the whole team, Hughes is rockin the show bigtime, Toffi arrived with plenty of life left, BB is still developing his game to overcome tighter checking and he's starting to do it with ease and confidence.. Demko? Wow! 

4 years ago compared to now? Uh uh uhhhhhh... As long as we keep filling roster spots with guys who will do anything to win and jettison guy who don't, then we'll a shot for real, and that's already being worked on by time on its own.. LE will finally be ousted... JV probably gone... Replaced by guys who actually give a *hit can only trend us upward but most of the work already done was all offence geared (scuse the pun) and D was yet to be sorted out and that'll be a huge upgrade as it progresses and the whole team knows it will be a lot better overall because of it...  

Edited by iceman64