The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Upcoming important NHL Off-season dates.

Rate this topic

Mackcanuck

So compressed!  How have we (and other teams) not made a lot of moves yet?  We are three days from having to know if we can afford to qualify either of Virtanen or Stecher or just let them go instead of risking a bad arbitration award.

We have to have a decision from Markstrom by then and any cap clearing moves done so we at least know the landscape before having to get down to the nitty gritty of filling out a roster.

Just now, Provost said:

So compressed!  How have we (and other teams) not made a lot of moves yet?  We are three days from having to know if we can afford to qualify either of Virtanen or Stecher or just let them go instead of risking a bad arbitration award.

We have to have a decision from Markstrom by then and any cap clearing moves done so we at least know the landscape before having to get down to the nitty gritty of filling out a roster.

6 days - the deadline is the 7th to qualify RFAs.  They then have until the 10th to file for arbitration.  

The 4th is the deadline for team elected arbitration.  Stecher is the only one that meets the earning threshold.  Doubt Vancouver wants to bring him to arbitration. 

The teams with extra picks and teams willing to trade for cap are probably playing teams off of one another to maximize returns.

Some big trades might be announced as the picks come up. Then teams are also waiting to see about ufas and rfas who are not qualified.

I expect a bunch of trades in a short span..Oct. 5th or 6th to 9thish.

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The teams with extra picks and teams willing to trade for cap are probably playing teams off of one another to maximize returns.

Some big trades might be announced as the picks come up. Then teams are also waiting to see about ufas and rfas who are not qualified.

I expect a bunch of trades in a short span..Oct. 5th or 6th to 9thish.

There could also be more than usual after the draft.  Flyers' GM Fletcher was saying that with cap scarce he expects more cap in / cap out trades where GMs will have to make hockey trades to improve their team. 

Just now, mll said:

It's already been taken into account by CapFriendly.   Still 7.95M + 1M for Baertschi  back to the AHL.  

Oh okay. So 8.95M with 2 RFAs in Gaud/Virtanen needing to be re-signed and 2 spots on D needing to be filled. That's gonna be rough to accomplish.

In retrospect we can hold off on signing Gaudette for a bit?

39 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Oh okay. So 8.95M with 2 RFAs in Gaud/Virtanen needing to be re-signed and 2 spots on D needing to be filled. That's gonna be rough to accomplish.

In retrospect we can hold off on signing Gaudette for a bit?

It's the off-season so teams can exceed the cap by 10%.  Gaudette is not arbitration eligible and can't sign an offer-sheet.  

They will probably need to clear some cap if they are going after Barrie and still looking to sign Virtanen.  

Bettman announced at the draft that Jan. 1 is the new “target” for the start of the 2020–21 season. A few sources I’ve spoken to think Jan. 15 is a possibility. Vegas owner Bill Foley told the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s David Schoen he believes Feb. 1 is a more realistic goal, with a 48- or 56-game season. Foley added that T-Mobile Arena needs 40 per cent capacity “to be economically” viable.

This is going to be like herding cats because the challenges from market to market are going to be different. Some teams will care more about playing this year than others. Some teams will be able to have more fans than others. Bettman will want to play enough games to end the current U.S. TV deal and start the next one. The NHL and NHLPA have begun discussions on next season, but I think the challenges of preparing for the bubble will pale in comparison to those of preparing for next year. I do not envy this task.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/31-thoughts-inside-tough-tense-early-days-nhl-free-agency/

3 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bettman announced at the draft that Jan. 1 is the new “target” for the start of the 2020–21 season. A few sources I’ve spoken to think Jan. 15 is a possibility. Vegas owner Bill Foley told the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s David Schoen he believes Feb. 1 is a more realistic goal, with a 48- or 56-game season. Foley added that T-Mobile Arena needs 40 per cent capacity “to be economically” viable.

This is going to be like herding cats because the challenges from market to market are going to be different. Some teams will care more about playing this year than others. Some teams will be able to have more fans than others. Bettman will want to play enough games to end the current U.S. TV deal and start the next one. The NHL and NHLPA have begun discussions on next season, but I think the challenges of preparing for the bubble will pale in comparison to those of preparing for next year. I do not envy this task.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/31-thoughts-inside-tough-tense-early-days-nhl-free-agency/

No mention of border crossings?