The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Bobby Ryan

goalie13

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I wonder if Ottawa is not more looking to complete their roster with good players.  It's not really possible to draft a whole team.  With teams caught at the cap or having budget constraints there could be some pretty good players available this year.  Will be interesting to see what they do.  

they're certainly poised for some massive offer sheets. 

8 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

it does if Melnk is trying to save money this year and thats his focus. We don't know what kind of shape his businesses are in, he might be thinking about just getting out of this year and it wouldn't surprise me if he puts the team on the block next year. 

Hockey decision to open up a roster spot for their young players.  

Aren't the Sens one of the few teams who actually might have trouble reaching the cap floor? I could be wrong. 

but if I'm not wrong...Eriksson...?

:bigblush:

In all seriousness though, I wonder if Eriksson would actually be considered? Most of his salary is paid out and it's just the cap hit that'll be carried over. Might be a cheap option for a cash-strapped team like the Sens to reach the floor? Salary aside, Eriksson brings in as much value as Ryan, arguable even more because of his defensive play. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They only have 9 players signed and need to spend Approximately $21m on 14 players. They shouldn’t have any problem hitting the cap floor 

No, they won't have a problem hitting it. But they could also hit it, yet be paying far less actual dollars while doing so.

I'd send them Eriksson, Gaudette and Virtanen for Tierney ::D

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, they won't have a problem hitting it. But they could also hit it, yet be paying far less actual dollars while doing so.

If actual dollars was the primary concern they wouldn’t have just spent real dollars to clear cap space.  They’re in a position to actually improve their team right now.  

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

bingo. Its there to be done if they want to. In fact, if we end up dealing Demko it makes even more sense on his contract.

If Marky signs, then maybe Demko, Loui, Jake for the 28th oa pick in this years draft. We get that for Demko, Jake and Loui are the package there. Ottawa gets a goalie and is a cap floor team that saves real money. 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If actual dollars was the primary concern they wouldn’t have just spent real dollars to clear cap space.  They’re in a position to actually improve their team right now.  

Well they saved actual dollars with this move, and moved Bobby Ryan out who could be replaced with a younger guy.  With the amount of good players that won't be resigned/qualified, they'll be able to replace Bobby this summer.  

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

While paying a player to not play is certainly an expenditure, it does in fact save them actual cash vs continuing to pay him. That's precisely why they did it. 

Just now, aGENT said:

While paying a player to not play is certainly an expenditure, it does in fact save them actual cash vs continuing to pay him. That's precisely why they did it. 

Only 3.67M.  Count his replacement on the roster and the saving is minimal.  

Just now, aGENT said:

League minimum/ELC and it's near $3m.

If $3m is 'minimal', there should be a lot less people winning about the Canucks cap 'issues'.

Over 2 seasons.  Count an ELC at about 800K x 2 years puts that closer to 2M.  So 1M per season or 500K per over the 4 years of the buyout.

Just now, timberz21 said:

But if his replacement his better and younger, the minimal saving is not the only benefit.  The roster spot and the developmental opportunity is significant.

Exactly.   So no reason to believe that they would want to give that spot up to Eriksson.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Exactly.   So no reason to believe that they would want to give that spot up to Eriksson.  

you can't run a team of kids. I'm not saying Loui is the ideal development addition, but he's at least in that vein. He does help a line to be more defensively responsible which is exactly what young Fs need. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 3