The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Bobby Ryan

goalie13

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

not sure what that means. 

Instead of paying some goof $5 mil over two years, one could easily just pay $1-2 mil for one year, without giving up assets, Pretty simple.

Okay too many posts in a row for me on this topic. Haha. It would be nice but don't see any reasonable way that makes sense for them.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Instead of paying some goof $5 mil over two years, one could easily just pay $1-2 mil for one year, without giving up assets, Pretty simple.

Okay too many posts in a row for me on this topic. Haha. It would be nice but don't see any reasonable way that makes sense for them.

i've said it many times, there's only one way it makes sense, if Melnyk wants to engineer being a floor team this year. Otherwise it doesn't. 

14 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

i've said it many times, there's only one way it makes sense, if Melnyk wants to engineer being a floor team this year. Otherwise it doesn't. 

Yeah, but apparently that's not a problem whatsoever for them. It seems like wishful thinking.

Curious though, when was the last time a team actually took on a contract to reach the floor ... never?

Edit: I could be totally wrong on this but my memory seems to think that this came about slightly after the cap system was created and some teams (Florida/expansion) started basically signing rosters of minimum salaries in order to burn a year, have low overhead, and get prime draft picks. As the cap ceiling and salaries grew, the floor didn't grow with it ... making it a moot point. It's pretty hard to field a team with one or two good players on it and not reach the floor.

Edited by Gawdzukes

8 hours ago, mll said:

Doesn't seem plausible if the aim is to save money.  Eriksson costs 5M still.  They are only saving 3.67M by buying out Ryan.  

i.e. buying out Ryan + adding Eriksson is more than simply keeping Ryan.  

Cap hit wise, yes, however after Loui's 3M bonus is paid, he's only making $1M salary this year. And next year $1M bonus with $3M salary. So on the books the would be breaking even at worst.

7 hours ago, timberz21 said:

If you want leadership and veteran presence, you don't take a castoff from another team who's overpaid and underachieves.    There will be plenty of cheap UFA to fill that void for Ottawa, no need to trade for it and make another team a favor, unless the return overwhelming.

They're even walking away from Borowiecki who is a great vet presence

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

It's possible to do a lot with what they have.  Lots of cap space, draft picks etc.  They could deal for players like Virtanen for picks and they could sign free agents.  But really? 

Melnyk is a notorious cheapskate and since revenues are down, Melnyk may have issued instructions to be low cost and keep all the picks and wait out covid and a new arena before spending the money. 

This could be a new strategy.  At least for a Canadian team.  Fans don't want to commute to Kanata anyways.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Whalespray said:

You don't pay a guy millions to not play for you to give him a fresh start. And they have several open spots/players who could be traded to open spots for young plyers . 

Who?  Other than Anisimov, all their other players are younger players save for goalie Nilsson.  Zaitsev is their next oldest and he is only 28.   

Here's their page on CapFriendly:  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/senators

Gonna get a Corey Perry contract? 1.5ish range. Not sure we would have a spot for him unless we move Virtanen, Roussel AND Eriksson. Which would be nice to move out Roussel and Eriksson. But even then we have Big Mac and Lind that are gonna be fighting for a spot. Bailey is a long shot but his name could be thrown in there I suppose. Hoglander may get some looks at camp, if he's allowed to come over for that I dunno how the world works anymore. No spot for him even if we move out some deadweight. 

All in all I have no idea where he may end up. Lol. He'd be a good bottom 6 guy, can maybe re-find some of his scoring touch and be a great depth pickup. Toronto maybe looks to pick him up. Try find another Spezza type pickup. Edmonton can always use some half decent wingers. Pretty much any playoff caliber team may consider rolling the dice on a slightly rejuvenated Ryan.

2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i feel so bad for the guy... going from the penthouse to the outhouse to... not even being wanted in the outhouse... he's KHL bound

I think he could still put up 40+ points playing on a third line. I'm sure someone will give him an offer in the $2-$3m range, on a 1-2 year deal. If not that, at least a PTO next training camp.

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It's possible to do a lot with what they have.  Lots of cap space, draft picks etc.  They could deal for players like Virtanen for picks and they could sign free agents.  But really? 

Melnyk is a notorious cheapskate and since revenues are down, Melnyk may have issued instructions to be low cost and keep all the picks and wait out covid and a new arena before spending the money. 

This could be a new strategy.  At least for a Canadian team.  Fans don't want to commute to Kanata anyways.

its such a stupid location for a team. 

We'll see was they do. I have my doubts that they are really going to load up on a bunch of vets now, since no one really wants to play there as a UFA.