The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ehrhoff-ing the Bolts 2020

46 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm sure it would suck to go back to the pre-cap days where the Rangers just bought every over-priced UFA, but it also kind of sucks for teams that do such a great job developing talent only to lose that talent because it can't all bit fit under the cap. Teams get penalized for drafting well or being too good at developing players. 

I would love to see a cap discount where drafted players' salaries count are only with .75 cap dollars. Like if you signed Petey to a 10x10 deal it would actually only be 7.5x10.

Like Brayden Point came out of nowhere (well not really, because his numbers in junior were crazy good, but NHL scouts didn't think he'd be an allstar). Its hard for a team to plan for that. So large contracts get offered to vets and then when certain prospects produce beyond expectation it becomes difficult to fit everything under the cap. Reward teams for developing talent.

The issue I have is that players can sign with various teams and get a huge TAX BREAK...that is not fair for the rest of the league. MLB has a different salary cap I think, you can go over the cap but then you pay more tax or something along those lines.

Also, if every July 1st hasn't shown us already it is better to lock up your core players long term when they are young and not have to sign them to another long term deal when they are arond 30 or so. Look at the Blues, they would like to have Pietrangelo and he will be a good D for a while but 8 years to age 38/39 he won't be a top D man he will be a cap dead weight. Same as Seabrook.

If we bridge deal QH or EP then do 8 years that might be our best bet to pay them big $ during their prime years. A player I question our future about is Horvat, he will be a UFA at age 28...can you give him a 7 or 8 year deal at that age? Especially considering it is highly likely to come with a NMC and at minimum a pay raise.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Well TB is up 3-1 in the Stanley Cup finals.  And if they do win, I would imagine that they (Johnson and Coburn) would want to stay for a chance to repeat. 

I imagine everyone wants to stay, but at least they'll have won the cup. T-Bay is in a desperate situation, and I strongly think they're gonna have to ask players to waive their various NTCs. But yea, I guess there's always a chance the players could decline. At least Vancouver is a contender now and not in as much of a COVID-19 hellhole as some other places.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Sounds like a good plan for the short term (next season), but taking on Tyler Johnson's contract beyond next season seems like it would lead to a ton of cap problems for us.    

As far as back-ups go, I wonder if Ryan Miller would be willing to come back here on a one year deal if we walk from Markstrom?

I agree TJ's contract is a bit of a burden- however I also think any top-6 forward the Canucks manage to sign to play with Horvat - Toffoli/Granlund/Dadonov/Johnson/C.Smith is going to ask for a similar contract to what's left on his, maybe slightly less but then not coming over with Cernak.

I'd be interested in any of Markstrom, MAF, Greiss, Crawford, Talbot or Miller. The only thing is I think Benning will want a goalie on a 2-year term min. so he can expose them to Seattle.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Don't see why Johnson and Coburn wouldn't want to come to a safe country to play on a team on the rise. The real issue is whether or not we'd be better off offersheeting Cernak instead of taking in so much cap. All the players we're bringing in on this deal are gonna eat the cap we have remaining. Not sure I wanna run Demko as a full time starter just yet. But it is a high risk high reward play. Just wouldn't wanna be Benning if it blows up and Demko isn't ready. 

That's why I inputted MAF at a little under 50 retained. I don't think the Canucks should run with 1 good goalie either but I think MAF or Crawford are up to the task of splitting a season and deep playoff fun. Greiss potentially as well, altho a little riskier.

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That's why I inputted MAF at a little under 50 retained. I don't think the Canucks should run with 1 good goalie either but I think MAF or Crawford are up to the task of splitting a season and deep playoff fun. Greiss potentially as well, altho a little riskier.

I would try to avoid a G like Greiss, he has played infront of a stingy NYI team. Canucks don't play near that kind of game and he would get exposed. Need a G that can stand on his head but isn't a #1 looking for a payday like Marky or lots of term and NMC like Marky.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would try to avoid a G like Greiss, he has played infront of a stingy NYI team. Canucks don't play near that kind of game and he would get exposed. Need a G that can stand on his head but isn't a #1 looking for a payday like Marky or lots of term and NMC like Marky.

After listening to Kevin Woodley discuss Ian Clark's coaching style and who would fit, my top choices of who figures to be available/affordable would be:

1. Markstrom

2. MAF (40%+ retained)

3. Talbot

4. Crawford

5. Lunqvist (if bought out or heavily retained and cap going back)

6. Greiss

Tampa Bay have so many good players to resign and 5 million cap space...So 10 forwards and 3 D man under contract  some big moves have to be made in Tampa...

Really like some of there young D men.. Cernak 25  - Sergachev 23 either guy would look amazing in Vancouver..

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

After listening to Kevin Woodley discuss Ian Clark's coaching style and who would fit, my top choices of who figures to be available/affordable would be:

1. Markstrom

2. MAF (40%+ retained)

3. Talbot

4. Crawford

5. Lunqvist (if bought out or heavily retained and cap going back)

6. Greiss

Funny... I also had Talbot at the top of my list if Marky moved on.

I think a couple of those goalies would be lit up here. Namely the #5 and #6 on your list.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

I think a couple of those goalies would be lit up here. Namely the #5 and #6 on your list.

Greiss has experience before Trotz seeing more rubber then a tire factory - namely against CAN/US and other countries playing for the Swiss and doing his best elimination game Demko impression.   He’s also one of two goalies 33 and older who posted decent sp stats so I’m not so sure about that.   

13 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Just a question why not just trade a 2nd and Rafferty for Cernak stands to reason they would bite on that.

I feel like BriseBois' sole aim will have to be clearing cap, and simply moving Cernak's rights won't help with that. I could be wrong though.  If he's gonna clear Cernak for picks/prospects without clearing cap I think he could get more than Rafferty and a 2nd, but from a Canucks perspective I'd be stoked on that

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yea..that's why they're lower on the list. I think Lundqvist could be hit or miss, he's a butterfly vet and Clark is a great butterfly coach. I'm guessing his motivation will be trying to sign with a contender if he is bought out- a veteran presence (Clancy runner up last year, etc.) focused on winning in his last years has some intangible benefits too. But definitely have some preferences over him.

20 hours ago, BPA said:

Johnson and Coburn have NTC.  So they can dictate if they want to stay or go.

TB most moveable assets are Point and Killorn (M-NTC).

They can get a kings ransom for Point.  I'm sure they can also trade Killorn for a good return. 

Point is up there with Kucherov as one of their leading playoff scorers (32 points in 22 games). And he's signed to a very team-friendly contract ($6.75M x 2 remaining). What would be the point of trading him? Sewering the team they worked to build into a perrenial contender? Also, Coleman is signed for another year.

They will definitely move Killorn (who would be a great trade target, by the way). And if they can't convince Johnson to waive his NTC, they might even waive him...perhaps Coburn too. And I suspect they'll trade at least one of the big RFAs (Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak). But don't forget, Tampa has been great at convincing young RFAs to sign team-friendly bridge deals (see: Point, Kucherov's previous contract). I could see them attempting to sign the RFAs to bridge deals for cheap. Even if it's 1 year, Palat and Johnson's NTCs switch to 20-team trade lists next offseason.

Any deal Benning has done is more of a win for the other side, he doesn't have the killer instinct to leverage a team.

That first he dealt to Tampa turned into a cap savings that saved Tampa's butt and got them Coleman in Miller's old role at 1/3 the price, .5 pts/gm in the playoffs.

Tampa did great, they signed Point and got another Miller type player

Miller did fantastic here in Vancouver but no matter how good the team did he took a 25% reduction in pay due to taxes, that can't have made him thrilled.

I think  the smart move would be to tell Tampa the club intends to offer sheet Cernak or Sergachev and then make a deal from that starting point, think of it as practice for the Seattle expansion.

Trade Vancouver's 5th OVERALL FIRST ROUND PICK, Juloevi for either in a sign and trade deal or conditional trade, the rights to either and if they sign early then the move. I include OJ because Benning is a nice guy.

So far it appears that there will not be many teams spending to the cap or will have internal caps, 75 mil seems to be mentioned in various media a lot.

Offer sheeting, an allowable if never used rule, Tampa, would win. Of course I might want to extend both Pettersson and Hughes to long term deals first, which can be done now.

Edited by Lazurus

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Johnson was just waived & cleared. Gotta wonder how desperate BriseBois is to keep Sergachev. With Tanev gone, Canucks DEFINITELY need a top-4 RHD. Gaudette and Brisebois qualified

Let's gooooo

So that saves them $1.25 million?  Haha hope Benning's got that pick ready to trade for Cernak.

Just now, Phil_314 said:

LOL then what do we do to lose Eriksson?  Unless we use Johnson as 2nd RW

Yea, Johnson could be 2nd line LWer or RWer, either Virt or Pearson on the other side of Bo. Potentially sought after by Seattle as a hometown  guy and cleared for Pod or FA money

I showed an early example of cap compliance in the OP, but clearly things have changed. A little cap clearing would have to happen. If Canucks lock up Cernak tho, moving a pick next suddenly seems a lot more appealing