The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was the worst thing of the 2019-2020 season?

Rate this topic

The Colt 45s

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

In no specific order

Loui being loui

Ferland being as rugged as glass

The power play inconsistency (1st unit drop pass zone entries)

Gaudettes playoff performance

I don't know that that's fair to Ferland...he WAS rugged and, by fighting KNOWING he was likely putting himself at risk, that was proven.  Just his body wasn't cooperating.

But good list other than that.  Yep, can't disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I don’t think it’s happened yet.   This year truly couldn’t have gone much better - like a movie script almost.   Yes there were some things that didn’t work out - Ferland not at least performing like Ferland comes to mind.   

All the core players did their part.   “What are you going to do about Horvat?!l”. One day could be legendary. I bet a lot of recent/new fans have lots to talk about for years after our unexpected run.   Based on CDC polls alone most considered this a big win just passing MIN.   That was my personal line in the sand - if we lost the season was questionable - given how far we ended up going and what happened during that time this season is 100% beyond reproach IMO.

So will just go with no fans in the seats.  That was the worst thing about the season.   And maybe Ron McLean.  He’s showing his true colours - no way he’d be on TV without his history with Don Cherry.    

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

20 plus million we have in bottom six guys. we should be where Colorado is a elite team with 22 million in cap but our gm overpaid for plugs

Good one.   Maybe if we sign JV long term at 4 million and he becomes Neely 2.0 then we could discuss the comparisons.   The only way we could do that is doing a re-set and hoping the kids fail.   Not hard to do either just don’t sign any of our big three UFAs..is that what you really want?  (And no JV isnt and time to move on or maybe one more bridge deal). 

Not sure I agree with those saying we didn't reach the WCF... the team was dead tired and had nothing left in the tank (though Demko was playing in God mode).
The worst things IMO are the flat cap prohibiting spending this off-season, and I'd also say Virtanen's stalled progress. As much as the bottom-6 guys were overpaid, Jake doesn't even show effort to warrant being a former 1st round pick anymore, given that you get outhustled by a free agent signing upstart in MacEwen.

Also, not a "worst thing" but "room for improvement" would definitely be the blue-line.  Too many games where the goalie had to stand on his head and steal a win.  

List of top 5 least favourite games from this season (Regular Season + Playoffs):

1). Qualifying Round, Game 1: 3-0 Loss vs. Minnesota. Not going to lie, this game was deflating, and that's after months of build up and the team came up flat and laid an egg. This one is ranked ahead of the Game 7 loss vs Vegas because it is more deflating. Losing that game puts the team in a huge hole and historically 87% of the teams who lost game 1 in a best of 5 series end up losing the series (in fact the Canucks were the only team out of the 8 teams who lost game 1 in the qualifying series to come back and win this year, every other team end up losing their series). I would hate it if the Canucks lose to Minnesota (a team the Canucks are more than capable of beating) in the play-in round. That round to me was the only must-win round in this years playoffs. Once we won that round, the rest of the playoffs are gravy for me.  I am so glad they came back and won the series and then went on this good run.

2). Round 2, Game 7: 3-0 Loss vs. Vegas. Eliminated, season is over. The fact that the league scheduled game 6 and 7 back to back is stupid, if there is even 1 day of rest between games 6 and 7 we probably would've won the series.

3). 8-6 Loss vs. Pittsburgh: That game to me was the most embarrassing lost in the entire regular season. It was 6-3 with less than a period of hockey left and we blew it and lost 8-6.

4). 6-5 SOL vs. Washington: We led the game 5-1 at one point and head into the third period with a 5-2 lead. This game was just as embarrassing as the Penguins game. The reason this game ranks lower than the Pittsburgh game was we atleast picked up a point by losing in the shootout where that Pittsburgh game we lost in regulation.

5). 9-2 Loss vs. Tampa Bay: plain and simple, the score is saids it all. 

Edited by ruilin96
  • Like 1