The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[McKenzie] Eichel may have requested trade out of BUF

EP40.

17 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Interesting spot the Rangers are in. If you are the GM of the Rangers, would you trade the 1st OA pick + other assets for Jack Eichel?

I would...  

Jack Hughes

Rasmus Dahlin 

Nico Hischier 

Auston Matthews 

McDavid 

Aaron Ekblad 

Nathan MacKinnon 

Nail Yakupov 

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 

Taylor Hall  

Those are the last 10 1st overall picks.  None of the guys in this draft are considered generational talents (sorry to use that term haha) like McDavid.  Except for MacKinnon, Eichel is a better player then all of those other 1st overall picks for me and he's a sure thing.  

Eichel is a great player but we simply do not have the assets or cap space to acquire him, plus we already have a franchise centre who is younger and cost controlled for at least another year.

I understand any time theres speculation around a player people here will of course theorize about him here, but there is absolutely no reason for us to make this trade.

Edited by Bitter Melon

It is really not something we should even be seriously considering.  It would take one of our superstars for him so a wash really, and probably on a more expensive contract going forward.

Where we SHOULD be calling is offering them pieces that can make them better and switching up their roster.  This becoming public puts more pressure on Buffalo to re-tool their lineup considerably this offseason and show some progress by the end of next year before Eichel completely gives up and demands a trade.

They have been trying to move Ristolainen for a long time and we clearly have a roster spot for him.  They have almost no forwards signed.  Players like Virtanen and Sutter might be useful to them.  Rafferty would also look attractive from his numbers last season, maybe even Juolevi as we have Rathbone in the mix now as well.

24 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

If you ass Dube does it make it better

In terms of making a trade with the Flames for Eichel, Buffalo would ask for:

Gaudreau + Tkachuk + 2021 unprotected first

or

Monahan + Tkachuk + 2021 unprotected first + 2020/2021 second round pick/One of Calgary's top prospects

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is really not something we should even be seriously considering.  It would take one of our superstars for him so a wash really, and probably on a more expensive contract going forward.

Where we SHOULD be calling is offering them pieces that can make them better and switching up their roster.  This becoming public puts more pressure on Buffalo to re-tool their lineup considerably this offseason and show some progress by the end of next year before Eichel completely gives up and demands a trade.

They have been trying to move Ristolainen for a long time and we clearly have a roster spot for him.  They have almost no forwards signed.  Players like Virtanen and Sutter might be useful to them.  Rafferty would also look attractive from his numbers last season, maybe even Juolevi as we have Rathbone in the mix now as well.

Risto has his warts and I'm guessing it's why he hasn't been moved. No team wants to offer up a lot for him. I'm not a fan but if it's Jake and Sutter I'd do it.

Eichel has a challenging attitude.  This 'my team isn't good enough for me' thing has surfaced before, repeatedly.

The whole 'he just wants to win' thing sounds nice on paper. 

But it's the kind of thing that doesn't necessarily translate into leadership, and can easily become and remain an underlying rift.

Who knows how it translates in his relationships with his team-mates - but 'star' or not, I don't like the way he soapboxes his expectations.  Call it what you want - it's a 23 year old throwing his team-mates, coaches, GMs under the bus.  Not a fan.

At the same time, his (former ) GM Tim Murray practically cried on television when Edmonton won the lottery and Buffalo had to settle for Eichel. 

Looks like Eichel has been taking it out on Buffalo GMs ever since.  

Maybe Eichel and Buffalo are a better fit than they seem.

Whatever actually lies beneath all the Buffalo drama - I wouldn't be enabling any player to be projecting publicly, pushing his coaches and managment staffs around.

Just trade him - whether or not he 'requested' it this time.

Get the alternative assets and move on.    Lots of work still to do there - but some good opportunities for Buffalo this summer imo.

In case it's not already clear - no interest in him whatsoever.   Some of the proposals inflate this player to insane proportions.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eichel wants to win, I don't blame him. I'm sure he'd prefer to play on a good team, and be in the playoffs every year. I wonder how long before McDavid shows the same frustration. 

It's not like Eichel hasn't had some great players around him. Maybe he's the issue. 

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

I've never been a fan of his attitude. O'Reillys comments a few years back seemed directed at Eichel. He's a great player but one cannot underestimate the mood some of these players impose on locker rooms. EVERY time I even see a picture of Petey I thank the hockey gods he is a Canuck. A superstar star skill set is one thing. A superstar with a healthy, postive, team first, winning attitude is worth more than gold. 

Exactly.

I said this at the time, repeatedly (not hindsighting this) - Buffalo traded the wrong guy (ROR).

And precisely the truth - about character young 'stars' - you want your Boeser, EP, Hughes types - to worry about their own performance first and foremost - and they do - they work hard, they seem to highly respect their team-mates - they don't carry themselves like prima-donnas.  EP throws himself in front of shots, he dives to break up passes, he gets infuriated only when someone takes the puck from him.   Those are all signs of very healthy, most important 'muscles' in these young guys - can't be underestimated/undervalued.

Btw - Eichel has no limiting clause - they could send him wherever they want - so if he doesn't buck up, he could find himself in a place like Snottawa.  They don't owe him a thing - they don't owe it to him to send him to a competitive team or contender - they are responsible to do what's best for the team in the end.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

I said this at the time, repeatedly (not hindsighting this) - Buffalo traded the wrong guy (ROR).

And precisely the truth - about character young 'stars' - you want your Boeser, EP, Hughes types - to worry about their own performance first and foremost - and they do - they work hard, they seem to highly respect their team-mates - they don't carry themselves like prima-donnas.  EP throws himself in front of shots, he dives to break up passes, he gets infuriated only when someone takes the puck from him.   Those are all signs of very healthy, most important 'muscles' in these young guys - can't be underestimated/undervalued.

That's easier to do when you've only been exposed to one or two losing seasons.  

Eichel just finished his 5th season of mediocrity/missing the playoffs.  Players that have high expectations of themselves can only take so much losing.  5 years is a long long time. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's easier to do when you've only been exposed to one or two losing seasons.  

Eichel just finished his 5th season of mediocrity/missing the playoffs.  Players that have high expectations of themselves can only take so much losing.  5 years is a long long time. 

Pretty sure this was Horvat's 6th season - he did have a taste of 6 playoff games in his rookie season - but waited 5 more....

In Buffalo it's been a fractured process - that Eichel has appeared to be 'above'  at each turn.

Does Eichel know how to build a hockey team?    At 20, 21, 22, 23?  

I'd take the player that asks "what can I do to help make the team more successful?"  over the Eichel entitlement show every time.

How does he think his public chirping and moping serves the team?  It doesn't.  Period.  It repels people.  It puts blood in the water that opposing GMs smell.  He throws his franchise 'under the bus' whether he realizes it or not.  That's not his job - to be hs own team's canucksmarmy.  His leaking publicly doesn't help anything.

Once or twice might be understandable - this is a repeating cycle that he's become part of the dysfunction of. 

His job is to be a player, to help improve the players he plays with.  I'm not sure his massive ego enables him to do so.

I've heard enough of him - and he's on the opposing coast....Just trade him.  Or trade us a few of those devalued pieces he's surrounded by.

35 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Eichel has a challenging attitude.  This 'my team isn't good enough for me' thing has surfaced before, repeatedly.

The whole 'he just wants to win' thing sounds nice on paper. 

But it's the kind of thing that doesn't necessarily translate into leadership, and can easily become and remain an underlying rift.

Who knows how it translates in his relationships with his team-mates - but 'star' or not, I don't like the way he soapboxes his expectations.  Call it what you want - it's a 23 year old throwing his team-mates, coaches, GMs under the bus.  Not a fan.

At the same time, his (former ) GM Tim Murray practically cried on television when Edmonton won the lottery and Buffalo had to settle for Eichel. 

Looks like Eichel has been taking it out on Buffalo GMs ever since.  

Maybe Eichel and Buffalo are a better fit than they seem.

Whatever actually lies beneath all the Buffalo drama - I wouldn't be enabling any player to be projecting publicly, pushing his coaches and managment staffs around.

Just trade him - whether or not he 'requested' it this time.

Get the alternative assets and move on.    Lots of work still to do there - but some good opportunities for Buffalo this summer imo.

In case it's not already clear - no interest in him whatsoever.   Some of the proposals inflate this player to insane proportions.

It's almost October :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think I would do a 1OA for Jack Eichel straight up. A superstar on on ELC is a value asset, Eichel is make 10 mil a season. 

Eichel is a top player though, Mackinnon level. He's capable of carrying a team on his back. Frankly it would take more than the 1st Overall pick.

Unfortunately he plays for Buffalo. It's worse than playing for Edmonton.

Edited by Junkyard Dog