The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[McKenzie] Eichel may have requested trade out of BUF

EP40.

35 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, if Miller could use Petey as a passing partner more when he attacks Petey could have reached that level the last season. I have stopped counting all the times Miller just rushe into ozone and and only has Petey as a decoy. Petey on the other hand always involves his linemates in the game.

Remember that Petey got close to ppg in his first season without Miller so I believe it's Miller that benefits being beside Petey.

How is Eichel working defensively? 

He got a lot of minus but that doesn't always tell the whole story.

I don't know because I haven't seen much of him

I doubt that. Eichel has been better than Petey with worse linemates. He’s pretty much done developing into the player he was touted as in 2015 which was a deep draft. These are his prime years. 

If you give Eichel good linemates he is gonna make them a lot better as while as increase his own point totals. He is a major reason Olafsson had a good year. Away from Eichel Olafsson was a lot worse. This can be said about every Sabre on the ice with Eichel. When he’s on he can control the game and elevates everyone around him on a much grander scale that you usually see top players do. 

His defensive game has seen significant improvements when you look at the positive metrics and compare it to last year and eye test will confirm that his game won’t jump out at you. Buffalo was a bit better defensively this year than last so that plays a major factor. 

Petey is solid but he’s not at Eichel’s level yet. I mentioned how I can see Petey having a similar development path as Eichel/Mackinnon(4 years till prime) and that Petey’s potential could be greater than Eichel’s but time will tell. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Huggy Bear 1

36 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Ok I think you are getting carried away. Eichel has high value but if he wants to be traded, it will lower his trade value. You are throwing in a calder winner who is on ELC in Petersson or a calder nominee Hughes who has broken NHL records along with a 1st round pick, Podkolzin who is a 10th overall pick plus more?? There is no way Benning would give that up unless it was for McDavid or Mckinnon. Eichel is good, even great elite player but he isnt that good. That package is reserved for a generational player not just a #1 franchise center. Petersson is already developing to become that franchise center if he is not already.

It appears neither the Sabres or Eichel want a trade. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1310639860550696960

Chalk it up to another meaningless rumour. Like the Boeser one. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Ok I think you are getting carried away. Eichel has high value but if he wants to be traded, it will lower his trade value. You are throwing in a calder winner who is on ELC in Petersson or a calder nominee Hughes who has broken NHL records along with a 1st round pick, Podkolzin who is a 10th overall pick plus more?? There is no way Benning would give that up unless it was for McDavid or Mckinnon. Eichel is good, even great elite player but he isnt that good. That package is reserved for a generational player not just a #1 franchise center. Petersson is already developing to become that franchise center if he is not already.

Thanks for the essay,try comprehension first. Y"know before you get carried away

Buffalo's ask would be petey or hughes, 1st, podz +

Hughes or Petey

Podz has proven zero at the nhl level and even little at the khl level.

1st rounder is what, 15-25 range

Eichel is better then Petey atm

Eichel is signed for another what 7 years?

Can't wait to come back to this thread once Eichel is traded

• Wat 3

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Thanks for the essay,try comprehension first. Y"know before you get carried away

Buffalo's ask would be petey or hughes, 1st, podz +

Hughes or Petey

Podz has proven zero at the nhl level and even little at the khl level.

1st rounder is what, 15-25 range

Eichel is better then Petey atm

Eichel is signed for another what 7 years?

Can't wait to come back to this thread once Eichel is traded

Buffalo can ask whatever. I wouldn't trade Petey straight across for Eichel. Eichel may even be a better player but the game is played with your melon and your heart as well. Petey makes his linemates and teammates better. Eichel has yet to show this on a consistent basis. He's a top centerman in the NHL, but so is Petey. I wouldn't trade one for one. Not even close. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Eichel is a stud and is a center. Calling Lafreniere a superstar before he even plays a game is a stretch. If/when he becomes a superstar he likely won't be on that ELC anymore. People sleep on Eichel cause he's not McDavid and cause Buffalo has failed to build anything around him.

I think you might be sleeping on Lafreniere he is a legit #1 overal pick. Along the lines of Mckinnon and Stamkos. Will break out in his second year if not second half of first. 

On 9/29/2020 at 7:42 AM, rekker said:

Buffalo can ask whatever. I wouldn't trade Petey straight across for Eichel. Eichel may even be a better player but the game is played with your melon and your heart as well. Petey makes his linemates and teammates better. Eichel has yet to show this on a consistent basis. He's a top centerman in the NHL, but so is Petey. I wouldn't trade one for one. Not even close. 

I wouldn't trade Pettersson for Eichel for various reasons, mostly because Buffalo probably wouldn't want to add. This being said, Eichel is still a very good player. However...

The "makes his team mates better" can't really be said about a lot of players (eg. Gretzky) in the way that it is usually meant ie. point production. It is said that Gretzky turned Semenko into a 20 goal guy, but Gretzky didn't do this all on his own. Gretzky usually had Kurri on his other wing, and the guys on defense with him were also pretty good.

The Sedins inflated the goal totals for a number of players, often it was said that they just had "player X" stand in front of the net and they would bounce pucks off of the guy. Once again, the Sedins had each other for a talented, second forward, and some fairly good offensive d-men to help out.

Pettersson with Boser, and/or Toffoli and/or Miller also work out pretty good, and the addition of Hughes makes it better.

McDavid and Draisaitl are also a pretty good pairing, but with a weaker supporting cast. Does this mean that McDavid doesn't make his team mates better?

So who does Eichel have in his talent range to help make the rest of the team "better"?

regards,  G.

PS - if I were to say that there was one Canuck who makes his team mates better, then it would Horvat who I would towards. Maybe there won't be as many points in a comparison of him and Pettersson, but for the effort I believe Horvat brings out in his team mates, that's the kind of "better" I like to see. 

Edited by Gollumpus

23 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I wouldn't trade Pettersson for Eichel for various reasons, mostly because Buffalo probably wouldn't want to add. This being said, Eichel is still a very good player. However...

The "makes his team mates better" can't really be said about a lot of players (eg. Gretzky) in the way that it is usually meant ie. point production. It is said that Gretzky turned Semenko into a 20 goal guy, but Gretzky didn't do this all on his own. Gretzky usually had Kurri on his other wing, and the guys on defense with him were also pretty good.

The Sedins inflated the goal totals for a number of players, often it was said that they just had "player X" stand in front of the net and they would bounce pucks off of the guy. Once again, the Sedins had each other for a talented, second forward, and some fairly good offensive d-men to help out.

Pettersson with Boser, and/or Toffoli and/or Miller also work out pretty good, and the addition of Hughes makes it better.

McDavid and Draisaitl are also a pretty good pairing, but with a weaker supporting cast. Does this mean that McDavid doesn't make his team mates better?

So who does Eichel have in his talent range to help make the rest of the team "better"?

regards,  G.

PS - if I were to say that there was one Canuck who makes his team mates better, then it would Horvat who I would towards. Maybe there won't be as many points in a comparison of him and Pettersson, but for the effort I believe Horvat brings out in his team mates, that's the kind of "better" I like to see. 

Good points but you cant underestimate Petey's will to win. Particularly his aggressive nature in getting the puck back. Its unbelievable for a star. I watch other stars and they have the "get me the puck" attitude. Petey's desire to have the puck, find a teammate anywhere on the ice, elevates everyone around him. I remember a play In his rookie year, it was a 3 on 2 that the boys wrecked royally. You could read Petey's lips on the bench afterwards. ",Guys, Focus!" This kid is so special I get goose bumps when I watch him. I'm glad you agree that I wouldn't trade EP for Eichel. Ever. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Good points but you cant underestimate Petey's will to win. Particularly his aggressive nature in getting the puck back. Its unbelievable for a star. I watch other stars and they have the "get me the puck" attitude. Petey's desire to have the puck, find a teammate anywhere on the ice, elevates everyone around him. I remember a play In his rookie year, it was a 3 on 2 that the boys wrecked royally. You could read Petey's lips on the bench afterwards. ",Guys, Focus!" This kid is so special I get goose bumps when I watch him. I'm glad you agree that I wouldn't trade EP for Eichel. Ever. 

The will to win in Pettersson is a very valuable asset. I think it is a trait he shares with Horvat which is good for the team. Might Eichel have that trait as well, but it's kind of gone AWOL because of his situation? Maybe.

Not trading Pettersson for Eichel is still a no brainer IMO. 

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

The will to win in Pettersson is a very valuable asset. I think it is a trait he shares with Horvat which is good for the team. Might Eichel have that trait as well, but it's kind of gone AWOL because of his situation? Maybe.

Not trading Pettersson for Eichel is still a no brainer IMO. 

regards,  G.

Yip. I look at a player like Matthews that gets all the media attention. He's a dog in his own zone and lose a stupid amount of puck battles for a big guy. Bo and EP have more compete in their pinkie fingers than Mr Pulldown Pants has in his whole body.

Edited by rekker

On 9/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, N7Nucks said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Eichel is a stud and is a center. Calling Lafreniere a superstar before he even plays a game is a stretch. If/when he becomes a superstar he likely won't be on that ELC anymore. People sleep on Eichel cause he's not McDavid and cause Buffalo has failed to build anything around him.

Lafreniere is going to be at McKinnon level one day. Hes that damn good.  

Even now he will probably be good enough to score at a point per game clip. 

28 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I wouldnt give up Petey for Eichel. Heck no.  This board is overvalueing Jack.  Hes good but Petey is special and getting better.  

I’d at least consider a 1 for 1. 

Jack is a Getzlaf-type player, but morphed into a shoot-first, who has become a dominant player. I view him as something like a much more physical version of Horvat, but with the scoring ability of prime Pavelski, or better.

They are close in age, an obvious edge goes to EP, but I’m willing to assume EP also has an injury prone career, simply due to his build; he can only absorb so many more cross checks to the back and slashes to the wrist before he’s a perpetual 70 GP guy, or worse.

For entertainment, EP with a massive edge. He actually reminds me of a determined Alex Mogilny. Too many people here weren’t exposed to early prime 89 and only saw the Western guys, like Selanne, Bure and Fedorov to fully appreciate how good 89 was. This comparison is how much I think of EP’s talent. 

This whole concept in a non starter. There is no way JB or even Aquaman would have the guts to make this trade. It’s inconceivable, but a good debate really, about two young franchise centermen. 

I’d definitely dangle anything except QH and EP for Jack, but we all know it’d start with Horvat, Podz, etc etc etc. We’d surely become another Cap victim in therms of team depth. 

Another guess I’ll wager is that Horvat’s value will never be higher than today, to the Canucks or any other team. His price tag, age and game - Brind’Amour 2.0 IMO, and leadership align perfectly for cap value or as trade bait. 

Tampa, for instance, could possibly extend their window with an inexpensive Horvat trade, but if you’re JB, I’m thinking you’re not interested in much at all, so they’d have to make it sweet and what that might look like, who knows. 

Finally something positive to talk about concerning the Canucks. Pretty sure much of that was on the back of Horvat, but business is business - probably bad business, trading Horvat!

• Vintage 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, rekker said:

Yip. I look at a player like Matthews that gets all the media attention. He's a dog in his own zone and lose a stupid amount of puck battles for a big guy. Bo and EP have more compete in their pinkie fingers than Mr Pulldown Pants has in his whole body.

We hate him because he’s a friggin Leaf, but holy crap is he an incredible hockey player. I would love to see him traded out of there to a Washington or Carolina, anywhere really, just so I could openly cheer for him. :towel:

AM loses the puck yes, just like all puck handlers, but he is also a master pickpocket too, so it largely balances out, IMO. Captain underpants has some character issues, but not everyone is a borne Ron Francis or Shane Doan, so I’m not judging. 

Maybe I’d trade Horvat and OJ for him, then trade AM to Montreal for Romanov, something, maybe like Kok and a kiss. Then I’d just laugh at CBC. This Romanov kid reminds me so much of Duncan Keith, but with the skill approaching Quinn Hughes. I’m looking forward to watching him, which I suspect will be like watching QH slowly dominate the league. 

I can only guess what I’d take to get this kid, but that game gets old fast. I rarely post in here anymore. Used to post in this section all the time in the early mid 2000’s, but it’s a time vampire I tried to avoid. :bored:

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We hate him because he’s a friggin Leaf, but holy crap is he an incredible hockey player. I would love to see him traded out of there to a Washington or Carolina, anywhere really, just so I could openly cheer for him. :towel:

AM loses the puck yes, just like all puck handlers, but he is also a master pickpocket too, so it largely balances out, IMO. Captain underpants has some character issues, but not everyone is a borne Ron Francis or Shane Doan, so I’m not judging. 

Maybe I’d trade Horvat and OJ for him, then trade AM to Montreal for Romanov, something, maybe like Kok and a kiss. Then I’d just laugh at CBC. This Romanov kid reminds me so much of Duncan Keith, but with the skill approaching Quinn Hughes. I’m looking forward to watching him, which I suspect will be like watching QH slowly dominate the league. 

I can only guess what I’d take to get this kid, but that game gets old fast. I rarely post in here anymore. Used to post in this section all the time in the early mid 2000’s, but it’s a time vampire I tried to avoid. :bored:

he doesn't use his size much tho, which makes me think he's going to age like Kessel at some point. 

He's going to end up in AZ next year when the Leafs lose again in round 1.