The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bergevin willing to trade 1st, prospects to improve team now

qwijibo

2 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Makes more sense to move Price to a contender and rebuild but it’s either or. 

Cannot be middle of the pack with a goalie like that. 

Their rebuild is pretty much done...  they've got amazing young centers, solid young d-men (Romanov, Mete, Edmundson)...  no point in blowing that up.  

Now they have to try and improve...  speaking of which, Virtanen would walk into a top 6 role if he was traded to Montreal.  Outside of Gallagher and Drouin, I don't see that many high end wingers on Montreal (I'd love to get Joel Armia btw, he's a solid solid winger). 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Their rebuild is pretty much done...  they've got amazing young centers, solid young d-men (Romanov, Mete, Edmundson)...  no point in blowing that up.  

Now they have to try and improve...  speaking of which, Virtanen would walk into a top 6 role if he was traded to Montreal.  Outside of Gallagher and Drouin, I don't see that many high end wingers on Montreal (I'd love to get Joel Armia btw, he's a solid solid winger). 

Montreal should be able to make use of their cap space and cornucopia of picks to bring in a much better winger than Virtanen 

also. You forgot Tatar. He had 61 points in 68 games this season. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

You said Montreal doesn't need a top end C. You think Suzuki and Kotkaniemi would be a strong enough 1-2 punch at C for them to try and go on a playoff run? 

I think not.

If there's one position that Montreal is good on, it's the center ice position.  They're stacked to the point that they may end up trading Domi away.  Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are looking like 1st and 2nd line material, but only time will tell. Danault can be a 2nd line center on most NHL teams. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Montresl should be able to make use of their cap space and cornucopia of picks to bring in a much better winger than Virtanen 

Hey, 20 goal pace on the 3rd line is nothing to sneeze at...  I really think that Virtanen will break 30 goals once he leaves hometown and becomes a better professional.  

I don't see that many better wingers available.  

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If there's one position that Montreal is good on, it's the center ice position.  They're stacked to the point that they may end up trading Domi away.  Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are looking like 1st and 2nd line material, but only time will tell. Danault can be a 2nd line center on most NHL teams. 

They have strong C depth, but I just don't see any of them as being true number 1 centres. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hey, 20 goal pace on the 3rd line is nothing to sneeze at...  I really think that Virtanen will break 30 goals once he leaves hometown and becomes a better professional.  

I don't see that many better wingers available.  

Teams like Tampa that need to slash and burn to get under the cap will need to give up good players.  It’s how Vancouver got Miller.  I don’t know who they’ll end up with. But if they make a move it’ll likely be for a much better player than Virtanen 

Virtanen has never been a big goal scorer (with the exception of 1 season in juniors).  He’s just not a fit for what they need. He’s had his chances to play with talented line mates and hasn’shown he’s anywhere near a 30 goal guy 

Edited by qwijibo

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Rousell is a French speaking third liner that can add some toughness and edge to their team. He would be a key piece for their “win now” philosophy. Maybe we can get a second round pick? 

that would be a great return for us. Would bring a nice chippy attitude to the F group who's borderline Charmin. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Rousell is a French speaking third liner that can add some toughness and edge to their team. He would be a key piece for their “win now” philosophy. Maybe we can get a second round pick? 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

keep dreaming 

I agree with @qwijibo - Roussel is closer to being a buyout candidate than a 2nd round pick.  Maybe a 7th or future considerations if 50% is retained..

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Have you actually watched him play?  He was setting up the likes of Byron and Cousins.  Get him a guy with some finish and he’ll be putting up points.  

I watched him slew foot - accidentally on purpose - EP the first game i finally got to see him play live.   Have zero love or respect for that a-hole.   Even Ken Campbell who’s a left wing quality writer said that it was absolutely 100% not an accident.    And I saw had a great vantage point.   Maybe he didn’t mean to injure him but there was definitely intent.    Maybe he’s just not that good. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I watched him slew foot - accidentally on purpose - EP the first game i finally got to see him play live.   Have zero love or respect for that a-hole.   Even Ken Campbell who’s a left wing quality writer said that it was absolutely 100% not an accident.    And I saw had a great vantage point.   Maybe he didn’t mean to injure him but there was definitely intent.    Maybe he’s just not that good. 

Yet Pettersson himself said it was his own fault for trying to reverse check Kotkaniemi. 

Vancouver Canucks rookie sensation Elias Pettersson says the awkward collision between him and Jesperi Kotkaniemi was an honest accident and that there was no malicious intent behind the way the Montreal Canadiens forward hauled him down.

“He hooked my leg a little bit – I was going to reverse him or stop him – and it was an accident,” Pettersson told Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos as part of a wider-ranging one-on-one interview. “We got tangled up, we both fell down and I got in an awkward position. It wasn’t a dirty play or anything. He apologized afterwards, which shows good sportsmanship from him. So it was really just unlucky for me and it’s nothing too serious.”

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

They have strong C depth, but I just don't see any of them as being true number 1 centres. 

I really, really like Kotkaniemi's upside. I think he'll grow into that number 1 guy. He just recently turned 20. He has a few years to really round out his game before we start writing off his top line potential.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I really, really like Kotkaniemi's upside. I think he'll grow into that number 1 guy. He just recently turned 20. He has a few years to really round out his game before we start writing off his top line potential.

Maybe he will, I'm not saying it's impossible -- just that I don't think he'll reach that level.

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I know you do, that's why I referenced it. I still think the better play was to sign a free agent, but what's done is done.

In any case, who could the Habs be targeting? They're likely not one player away from making a deep run, and finding an available top end C won't be easy. Feels like they're better off keeping their picks/prospects, and hoping one of them becomes a top talent.

I say Eichel

Eichel, Eichel one day