The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bergevin willing to trade 1st, prospects to improve team now

qwijibo

21 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not just that. Domi is a C which increase his value. (Maybe not to Vancouver, but in general trade equations a top 6 C is worth more than a top 6 W) 

He’s durable.  He really hasnt missed any significant time despite his style of play. Boeser has yet to play a complete season. It’s hard to put up points from the IR list 

So far he hasn’t had the benefit of playing with players the caliber of a Boesers linesmates. So while his ppg is lower who’s to say he couldn’t be significantly better with consistent line mates (look at his “outlier season”) 

He sticks up for his teammates.  

if you don’t see those things as positives that add to the value beyond the black and white point totals. That’s fine 

I think BB's injury history is more of an aberration, and theres not enough of a sample size to conclude that he is injury prone.  That first freak injury really wasnt his fault, or the fault of his build etc as an example.

Regarding sticking up for his team mates - perhaps there is some value in this.   I think that the Canucks could use more of that, but at the same time i dont think a 5'10" guy pushing around 190 is really gonna move the needle in any direction.  I dont view that as enough of a positive attribute to over ride the lower point totals.

Finally, the quality of line mates line of thought.....why hasnt he consistently been played with better players?  Hes had some pretty talented team mates, he was a high draft pick, why hasnt he been put in those situations more (better line mates)?  Perhaps there is a deficiency to his game that his coaches are seeing that you are not?   (Arizona gave up on him too...a  young and upcoming player)

BB was the calder runner up in a year where he wasnt a top line player and his consistent centre (bo), was injured for a long time.  If (more likely when) the kid stays healthy for a year hes gonna surprise some of you IMHO.  I keep saying this...if you look at the stages of their careers and compare at roughly the same ages its obvious (to me anyway) who the better / more valuable player is gonna be here.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think BB's injury history is more of an aberration, and theres not enough of a sample size to conclude that he is injury prone.  That first freak injury really wasnt his fault, or the fault of his build etc as an example.

Regarding sticking up for his team mates - perhaps there is some value in this.   I think that the Canucks could use more of that, but at the same time i dont think a 5'10" guy pushing around 190 is really gonna move the needle in any direction.  I dont view that as enough of a positive attribute to over ride the lower point totals.

Finally, the quality of line mates line of thought.....why hasnt he consistently been played with better players?  Hes had some pretty talented team mates, he was a high draft pick, why hasnt he been put in those situations more (better line mates)?  Perhaps there is a deficiency to his game that his coaches are seeing that you are not?   (Arizona gave up on him too...a  young and upcoming player)

BB was the calder runner up in a year where he wasnt a top line player and his consistent centre (bo), was injured for a long time.  If (more likely when) the kid stays healthy for a year hes gonna surprise some of you IMHO.  I keep saying this...if you look at the stages of their careers and compare at roughly the same ages its obvious (to me anyway) who the better / more valuable player is gonna be here.

To the line-mate issue.  I. Any speak to Arizona. But in Montreal their top forwards Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault make up a line that Julien has been very reluctant to split up.  As a result Domi has been plugged in with whoever was left over. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

To the line-mate issue.  I. Any speak to Arizona. But in Montreal their top forwards Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault make up a line that Julien has been very reluctant to split up.  As a result Domi has been plugged in with whoever was left over. 

you could be right here.  I vaguely recall controversy about Julien benching Domi or playing him in the bottom 6.  Ill have to look at some of the old sportsnet articles.

Anyhow, thanks for the discussion.  I fully admit maybe im over inflating Brock in my mind, i just think the kids a winner.  Been following him since college days, and I think he is a key piece here.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Darius said:

you could be right here.  I vaguely recall controversy about Julien benching Domi or playing him in the bottom 6.  Ill have to look at some of the old sportsnet articles.

Anyhow, thanks for the discussion.  I fully admit maybe im over inflating Brock in my mind, i just think the kids a winner.  Been following him since college days, and I think he is a key piece here.  

That’s fair.  We all have favourite players. And in the end our opinions are just that. Opinions.  I feel like we both make strong arguments. I’m good with that. 

• Cheers 2

Personally I think Domi is just a better player than Boeser and I would do a straight up deal in a heartbeat.

Sure - losing Boeser would hurt and cause some short term issues in the top 6, but imagine the center depth if Domi would be 3C with e.g. Motte and Leivo as wingers. If Jake or someone replacing him can play with Bo that's 3 really deep lines.

Would also be possible to load up with Domi in the top six at end of games etc.