The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Henrik Lundqvist

7 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

It most certainly is a two way street. I hate to see it end for him like this, but there is a global pandemic, a flat cap and his play hasn’t been the same. I don’t think too many players are afraid to take the money. True loyalty in hockey from players or teams is the exception not the rule. 

he only actually loses 500k in salary over this. 

Demko

Lundqvist

Would've never imagined that goaltending duo. He's 38 though, and his stats are understandably getting worse as the years go by, but if he signed for 1 year ($1-2 million), to try and win a Cup with VAN? Are there other teams willing to take a chance on a 38 year old goaltender in decline? He's still better than Domingue.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko

Lundqvist

Would've never imagined that goaltending duo. He's 38 though, and his stats are understandably getting worse as the years go by, but if he signed for 1 year ($1-2 million), to try and win a Cup with VAN? Are there other teams willing to take a chance on a 38 year old goaltender in decline? He's still better than Domingue.

Do it. Then we meet the Rangers in the finals and he stones them. Ahh, sweet dreams. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He's done.

He has been solid over the last three seasons.  Rangers were terrible last year so I wouldn't look at his numbers too much.  They have two excellent young goalies though, so no room for Lundqvist. 

Henrik would be a great backup 905 save percentage this year which is fine for a backup.  Some of the other goalies names being mentioned as replacement for Markstrom would only save us about 2 million but hopefully we could convince the king to come out west for a year or 2 a 2-3 million dollar deal. 

would be an excellent mentor for Demko. 

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko

Lundqvist

Love it. Swan song ride with the Canucks with a legit chance to win.  He can play 2 years 30~ games per and can come in as a clutch back up for playoffs if need be.  If he comes in cheap it allows us to revamp the D.  Get'r done JB!

8 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Love it. Swan song ride with the Canucks with a legit chance to win.  He can play 2 years 30~ games per and can come in as a clutch back up for playoffs if need be.  If he comes in cheap it allows us to revamp the D.  Get'r done JB!

Sedins need to pick up the phone ;)

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

It most certainly is a two way street. I hate to see it end for him like this, but there is a global pandemic, a flat cap and his play hasn’t been the same. I don’t think too many players are afraid to take the money. True loyalty in hockey from players or teams is the exception not the rule. 

I think I have such a bad reaction to this because I'm starting to watch all the players I idolized as a kid in the tail end of their careers, but seeing guys like Hank go out without a cup is a real gut punch. 

The buyout has a 5.5M cap hit this coming season and 1.5M the following season. They'll have close to 13M in buyout cap hit on their books this coming season - Schattenkirk over 6M, Girardi 1.1M and 300K for Spooner.

It leaves them 14.5M with a roster of 13.   Strome had 59pts and DeAngelo 53pts - both RFAs with arbitration rights.  

Brooks already last week was saying that NYR are looking to trade DeAngelo's rights.  He believes he could get upwards of 5M and says NYR are not interested in giving that kind of contract to a 3rd pairing D.  

A 5M award in arbitration would have him above the walk-away limit.  It is just under 4.534M this year - anything below that limit and the team can't walk away.   DeAngelo's agent could ask just under that walk-away limit if he feels he can't get more on the open market.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko

Lundqvist

I totally forgot about Louis.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lots of respect for Lundqvist, but no real interest in him as a tandem/backup with/to Demko.

Why? (just out of curiosity)

Alternatively, if Demko could fetch us some high-end future assets, I could see us signing Markstrom with term and a NMC, and bringing in Lundqvist to back him up for a couple of seasons (for about the same price that Demko is signed at right now).

I think Lundqvist would fit in very nicely here for whatever time he has left, and, if we chose to go with Demko and Markstrom walks, i think he'd make for a very formidable 1B option and is an ideal mentor for our "goalie of the future". Considering that the Rangers haven't been great defensively over the last few years and Lundqvist's best years are long and gone, I don't think his numbers are as bad as they might seem to some. I could also see him being a treat for Clark to work with. A butterfly goalie with a wonderful attitude.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Why? (just out of curiosity)

Alternatively, if Demko could fetch us some high-end future assets, I could see us signing Markstrom with term and a NMC, and bringing in Lundqvist to back him up for a couple of seasons (for about the same price that Demko is signed at right now).

I think Lundqvist would fit in very nicely here for whatever time he has left, and, if we chose to go with Demko and Markstrom walks, i think he'd make for a very formidable 1B option and is an ideal mentor for our "goalie of the future". Considering that the Rangers haven't been great defensively over the last few years and Lundqvist's best years are long and gone, I don't think his numbers are as bad as they might seem to some. I could also see him being a treat for Clark to work with. A butterfly goalie with a wonderful attitude.

Confused too.  Lundqvist is the consummate professional and I see no reason he wouldn't be a fantastic mentor if he wants to keep playing, a lot like Sundin did while he was here.  Seems like he would fit in very well with our group.  No one is advocating making him the starter.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, nergish said:

What would his ask be?

I was thinking 2x4, but maybe he'd take even less?

Vancouver seems like a pretty perfect fit for him. Classiest city in Canada (I know Toronto is the "New York of Canada", but we've got more class), long history of Swedes.

You'd have to think his professionalism would rub off on Demko, but also the young Swedes like Petey and potentially Hoglander.

He's just not that great of a goalie anymore. He really would be a 1B.

Like, if we're targeting Holtby for a similar term and pricetag, he's considerably better at this stage. 

We'd only go after Lundqvist if he's looking for short term and a really palatable AAV. Basically, only if we can sell him on riding out his career in beautiful British Columbia.

oh the irony

Lundqvist would be fine on a 2 year short term deal at around $2 million.  He's already getting paid by the Rangers so he would be double dipping.  Don't think he's going to just go to any team for an extra million or two.  He would like Vancouver because of the Swedish connection and we would be replacing one Swedish goalie for another.  I think he would be a great mentor to Demko and be great in the room as well.  And of course he would love to be on the same team as Petey.

He might want to go to a contender, but at the end of the day nobody really knows what will happen next year and what team will be the favourite.  Tampa only has 3 D's signed for next year so who knows if they can compete again for the Cup.  Dallas could be a good fit for him if they don't re-sign Khudobin.

Edited by Elias Pettersson