The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Henrik Lundqvist

Lundqvist has already won an Olympic Gold and a World Championship too, he's only a Stanley Cup away from joining the Triple Gold Cup.  The Canucks is an up and coming team.... assuming Lundqvist will accept a low contract to share a 1A/1B tandem with Demko, it will free up cap space that can be utilized elsewhere.  

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Lundqvist has already won an Olympic Gold and a World Championship too, he's only a Stanley Cup away from joining the Triple Gold Cup.  The Canucks is an up and coming team.... assuming Lundqvist will accept a low contract to share a 1A/1B tandem with Demko, it will free up cap space that can be utilized elsewhere.  

Even if we keep Marky and Demko gets moved, he's probably as good of an option as any goalie on the market for that role; he's Swedish, he'd come cheaper than many of the other options, and he'd bring invaluable experience (no matter the capacity). In fact, if we're in "win now" mode, it would probably make most sense to do whatever it takes to retain Marky. There are teams like Ottawa and Detroit who need their goalie of the future, and have a plethora of picks and prospects we could work a deal around. Lundqvist would fit like a glove behind Marky, I think.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Even if we keep Marky and Demko gets moved, he's probably as good of an option as any goalie on the market for that role; he's Swedish, he'd come cheaper than many of the other options, and he'd bring invaluable experience (no matter the capacity). In fact, if we're in "win now" mode, it would probably make most sense to do whatever it takes to retain Marky. There are teams like Ottawa and Detroit who need their goalie of the future, and have a plethora of picks and prospects we could work a deal around. Lundqvist would fit like a glove behind Marky, I think.

Benning calls Demko the goalie of the future.  Seems like Markstrom is the one that they would let go.

Ottawa is looking for a stop-gap goalie and have apparently looked into Kuemper.  They believe they have their future goalie already in the system.  Dorion says they purposefully hoarded picks for this draft because it's one of the best in the past 10-20 years.  

Detroit is believed to be after Markstrom.  Yzerman talks of using their cap space to get more picks.  Not sure he's willing to trade them - he might view that draft like Dorion.  There are also plenty of goalies on the market this season.  

10 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think he'd be a good back-up for Demmer on a cheap contract if Marky walks. Butterfly - just like Clark likes. Cheaper, stand-up character (King Clancy runner-up), keep the Swedish connection going, hasn't won a cup and will really want one if he's gonna re-sign elsewhere I'd think.

Same agent as Bo Horvat and Tyson Barrie right? I'm sure he and Benning will talk

Henrik Lundqvist is one of the top goalies out there. Do you think a goalie of his caliber is going to accept a backup role?

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Henrik Lundqvist is one of the top goalies out there. Do you think a goalie of his caliber is going to accept a backup role?

Though he's still reliable, he's not one of the 'top' goalies anymore. He's posted backup numbers for the last couple seasons, and 38 years old. We see the same thing with Quick as well. A backup role is likely all he's going to get.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Benning calls Demko the goalie of the future.  Seems like Markstrom is the one that they would let go.

Ottawa is looking for a stop-gap goalie and have apparently looked into Kuemper.  They believe they have their future goalie already in the system.  Dorion says they purposefully hoarded picks for this draft because it's one of the best in the past 10-20 years.  

Detroit is believed to be after Markstrom.  Yzerman talks of using their cap space to get more picks.  Not sure he's willing to trade them - he might view that draft like Dorion.  There are also plenty of goalies on the market this season.  

You have to wonder how much Stevie would give up for exclusive rights to Marky. Would he take Loui and a b-level sweetener (e.g., a 4th or Benn) along with Markys rights? Assuming things go off the rails first with the negotiations this week. 

Edited by Robert Long

19 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

You have to wonder how much Stevie would give up for exclusive rights to Marky. Would he take Loui and a b-level sweetener (e.g., a 4th or Benn) along with Markys rights? Assuming things go off the rails first with the negotiations this week. 

Nothing would be my guess.  Yzerman probably realises that his chance to sign Markstrom is pretty low when there are contenders interested in him.  If Markstrom feels the other teams are offering too low deals then he knows he can check out with Detroit.  The message is out there that they are interested and that's likely sufficient.  

Feels a bit contradictory too - they acquire Markstrom yet add anchor Eriksson.  Don't really see how that is going to convince Markstrom that Detroit is serious about getting back into contention and make it worthwhile for him to sign with them.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Nothing would be my guess.  Yzerman probably realises that his chance to sign Markstrom is pretty low when there are contenders interested in him.  If Markstrom feels the other teams are offering too low deals then he knows he can check out with Detroit.  The message is out there that they are interested and that's likely sufficient.  

Feels a bit contradictory too - they acquire Markstrom yet add anchor Eriksson.  Don't really see how that is going to convince Markstrom that Detroit is serious about getting back into contention and make it worthwhile for him to sign with them.  

I'm desperate for any sliver of hope to move Loui. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Squamfan said:

PERFECT BACKUP FOR dEMKO LETS GO bENNING

You're not wrong... I see absolutely 0 reasons why Lundqvist wouldn't want to sign here for league min should we trade/lose one of marky or demmer... imagine moving from that frozen hell hole NY to a beautiful paradise like Vancouver.

But yea really tough to say... we'll have to see what happens with Marky first. If Detroit is offering 6.5 AAV over 5+ years, I think we have to walk away from that.

I think Marky is gonna be loyal at the end though... we'll run into the TDL with 1 quality goalies. I think that would be the best time to move one of them. No sense letting Marky walk as UFA unless it is 6.5+ over 5+ years

1 minute ago, apollo said:

we'll run into the TDL with 1 quality goalies. I think that would be the best time to move one of them. No sense letting Marky walk as UFA unless it is 6.5+ over 5+ years

Problem with doing this mid season... Who backs up the guy that's left?

This offseason, we'd have a choice of a slew of solid replacements via UFA. Saturated, buyers market plus covid prices means we can likely even get a pretty decent backup at a discount. Where/how do we find one at the TDL?

13 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Why? (just out of curiosity)

Alternatively, if Demko could fetch us some high-end future assets, I could see us signing Markstrom with term and a NMC, and bringing in Lundqvist to back him up for a couple of seasons (for about the same price that Demko is signed at right now).

I think Lundqvist would fit in very nicely here for whatever time he has left, and, if we chose to go with Demko and Markstrom walks, i think he'd make for a very formidable 1B option and is an ideal mentor for our "goalie of the future". Considering that the Rangers haven't been great defensively over the last few years and Lundqvist's best years are long and gone, I don't think his numbers are as bad as they might seem to some. I could also see him being a treat for Clark to work with. A butterfly goalie with a wonderful attitude.

The alternative of dealing Demko and backing Markstrom up would be more viable than as a tandem/backup with/to Demko imo.

But I'm not particularly interested in dealing Demko - and therefore the question becomes who you would prefer as the best one-two options possible.

I'd spend more on the position - looking for more stability than the 37 yr old at this stage of his career - ie I'd prefer to re-sign Markstrom, continue on course, and make the appropriate decisions at the e.d., or alternatively do as well as they can in free agency stopping at the point of a NMC - so they retain their e.d. flexibility.  I wouldn't opt for the placeholder in spite of the expansion draft.

Lundqvist is 37.  From what I've watched in recent seasons - he's not the goaltender he was.  He may have started more than 24 yr old Shesterkin (and 23 yr old Georgiev) - but both those goaltenders had better numbers than him this year - and appear to be clear succession plans.    Shesterkin had a .932 sv%, Lundqvist .905......The Rangers probably bring in a veteran tandem/backup in any event, but in the Canuck's case, in spite of Demko's 3 game playoff, the Canucks had their MVP starter playing 43 games to Demko's 27 - 27 of his first 37 NHL games, period - and Markstrom's numbers were .918 sv% relative to Demko's .905.    I don't like the idea of entering next season with a 'backup' to Demko - I think that is premature.  Moreover, one injury to Demko....

I think Markstrom is the considerably better goaltender than Lundqvist at this point (no disrespect intended to Lundqvist, who has been an outstanding goaltender ) - but in the same way I would not have opted to sign a 38/39 yr old Luongo at the tail end of his career (who retired at an .899 sv% at that point) - I'd prefer to go with a younger goaltender - and not presume Demko's starter status at this point.  I'd also prefer to go with a bigger, younger and therefore likely more long term durable goaltender who doesn't rely as much on athleticism (as the 37 yr old Lundqvist).  I'd be more interested in securing their chances of being more competitive when Demko is not in net = I wouldn't presume to start him 50 or more times next year, and further, if he were to get injured....I'd want more of a definitive alternative starter.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The alternative of dealing Demko and backing Markstrom up would be more viable than as a tandem/backup with/to Demko imo.

But I'm not particularly interested in dealing Demko - and therefore the question becomes who you would prefer as the best one-two options possible.

I'd spend more on the position - looking for more stability than the 37 yr old at this stage of his career - ie I'd prefer to re-sign Markstrom, continue on course, and make the appropriate decisions at the e.d., or alternatively do as well as they can in free agency stopping at the point of a NMC - so they retain their e.d. flexibility.  I wouldn't opt for the placeholder in spite of the expansion draft.

Lundqvist is 37.  From what I've watched in recent seasons - he's not the goaltender he was.  He may have started more than 24 yr old Shesterkin (and 23 yr old Georgiev) - but both those goaltenders had better numbers than him this year - and appear to be clear succession plans.    Shesterkin had a .932 sv%, Lundqvist .905......The Rangers probably bring in a veteran tandem/backup in any event, but in the Canuck's case, in spite of Demko's 3 game playoff, the Canucks had their MVP starter playing 43 games to Demko's 27 - 27 of his first 37 NHL games, period - and Markstrom's numbers were .918 sv% relative to Demko's .905.    I don't like the idea of entering next season with a 'backup' to Demko - I think that is premature.  Moreover, one injury to Demko....

I think Markstrom is the considerably better goaltender than Lundqvist at this point (no disrespect intended to Lundqvist, who has been an outstanding goaltender ) - but in the same way I would not have opted to sign a 38/39 yr old Luongo at the tail end of his career (who retired at an .899 sv% at that point) - I'd prefer to go with a younger goaltender - and not presume Demko's starter status at this point.  I'd also prefer to go with a bigger, younger and therefore likely more long term durable goaltender who doesn't rely as much on athleticism (as the 37 yr old Lundqvist).

Lundqvist was also on a very bad team these last few years. It’s a low risk if we were to sign him for cheap as a back up. I think he would be much better with us. 

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Lundqvist was also on a very bad team these last few years. It’s a low risk if we were to sign him for cheap as a back up. I think he would be much better with us. 

That 'very bad' team was 37-28 this year (Lundqvist was 10-12, otherwise the Rangers were 27-16), with, as I mentioned, two young goaltenders that had considerably better numbers than him (ie Shesterkin .932, Lundqvist .905).

And again, if he's the presumed "backup", and you've moved on from Markstrom, then you have a "starter" with 37 games on NHL experience - on a team you are hoping to uptick with (that just made the final 8)....  Lundqvist wouldn't be on my shortlist.

Edited by oldnews