The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Canuck fans think Benning is a great GM?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Do Canucks fans vote Benning is a great GM  

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

he was, I heard him say it in person at his first season ticket holder event. 

They - Linden, Benning, Aquilini - all went in on a failed rebuild/retool attempt (which got us an awesome new core). Some sort of impasse occurred where Aqulini felt the need to move on, but it can't be simplified to 'he didn't want a proper rebuild'. And based on last seasons breakout performance Jim's path was the right one, even with some veteran contract issues for next season, the main one being the Loui hangover from the retool. 

I put the decision to continue with the old core more on Aquilini than on Linden and Benning due to events preceding their hiring. Gillis went to Aquilini with a plan to rebuild, Kesler who wanted out at the time, was supposed to have been dealt to Anaheim at the deadline for a package of futures. Per Botchford, Aquilini nixed that agreement and fired GIllis, he then hired Linden with a mandate to retool the team around the Sedins. Kesler instead of going for futures brought in a couple of replacement players in Bonino and Sbisa, who were supposed to fill the positions that Garrison and Kesler were vacating. We wasted a lot of assets while pursuing this failed plan.

Linden per Willes, did not believe this team was ready to compete for a Cup in the short term. It is my  belief he was against the Myers signing and the trade for Miller. His dissent put him on the sidelines and led to his resignation.

Edited by Toews

37 minutes ago, Toews said:

I put the decision to continue with the old core more on Aquilini than on Linden and Benning due to events preceding their hiring. Gillis went to Aquilini with a plan to rebuild, Kesler who wanted out at the time, was supposed to have been dealt to Anaheim at the deadline for a package of futures. Per Botchford, Aquilini nixed that agreement and fired GIllis, he then hired Linden with a mandate to retool the team around the Sedins. Kesler instead of going for futures brought in a couple of replacement players in Bonino and Sbisa, who were supposed to fill the positions that Garrison and Kesler were vacating. We wasted a lot of assets while pursuing this failed plan.

Linden per Willes, did not believe this team was ready to compete for a Cup in the short term. It is my  belief he was against the Myers signing and the trade for Miller. His dissent put him on the sidelines and led to his resignation.

But Linden was fully on board with the retool, and the moves to try to keep the remaining older core competitive. 

We all have theories about what went on in the room between Aquilini and Linden but none of us know, but I can tell you we know as much as Ed Willies does. 

My pet theory is the declining attendance, which I suspect Linden didn't have an answer for. He just failed at a 4 year retool, his hand picked coach was a disaster, and now wanted a 4 year rebuild. Thats 8 years of bad hockey with potentially declining seat and luxury box revenue. Thats where I think things went sideways. 

Edited by Robert Long

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Linden got fired for advocating a proper rebuild. Meddling ownership and our dumb GM are the issues. 

there is no proof to what you just said, everyone had has their rumors, but nobody knows the truth. this team started to get betted with Linden gone and that is fact

• Like 1

A lot of you guys are so reactionary, Benning makes some mistakes early in his career and is paying for it. But now that something is similar can happen wehre we get handcuffed to contracts in a couple years he says no and you guys are still like wow hes such a rookie GM. Like what? This man isn't some GM who just wants to be mediocre this man wants to win. And I think he can take us there but he have to fully go through with his vision first. Leaving him now would ruin everything

• Like 1

I wonder why it's so quiet from the Canucks. Other teams have reacted like it's a mad rush to build their teams rosters. CGY will be better, EDM will be better. VGK will win the Cup if they sign Pietrangelo. Is Benning working on a big trade? There just seems there's a lot to do to improve the D, maybe he's trying to bring in a real good Dman? I sure hope so. 

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

It was not decent, it was excellent value for a pick - even a lottery ticket, turned out to be a 20th.   66% of first rounders play 200 NHL games, picking 20th even odds he’d be a dud.    He’d make that trade every year until we ran out of cap space if he could, and a lot of other GMs I’m sure are wishing they did that instead of the standard TDL rental fee.   Even if he scored 50 points for four years like his career norm as a second/third line player he’d be worth the pick.   Only 25% of second rounders play 200 games and all the rest combined (3-7th) only 12.5% play 200 NHL games.    There is a reason why AJs recent thread of best 3rd rounders of all-time only 5 made the 200 game cut.   All-time.   And only Smyl and Edler were actual impact players.    One second every four years, one 3rd or beyond every 8-9 years ... and most of them aren’t very good.  Veys and Bears of the world.    

Motte is exactly what your hoping in your second and beyond.    And people wanted a 4-5th for Vanek.  

I said he was a great addition and it was a decent trade.  Sorry I didn't use your word "excellent".    Potato / Potato.

Red Herring to my point. That we had to use a #1 pick, even though we at that point had already used up, and not replaced, even the bare minimum of draft picks allotted to each team over JBs tenure, let alone found ways to acquire more. For a rebuilding team that is unheard of. And that was a direct result of throwing them away for too many overpaid, past-their-best-before date "foundational" vets who were supposed to make us into an instant playoff team when they arrived. Over-paid and over-valued so as to be untradeable assets. And that sacrifice was part of a cumulative "butterfly effect" built off of other mistakes. If we had a surplus of picks instead, it wouldn't hurt so much to gamble with a few of them. Speaking of which we lost Madden and second for nothing to add to the pile.  Yes it was "excellent" value for a #1 pick on its own, out of context. That deal, would have been truly excellent for an already deep team who had a low draft position and needed a final piece. 

edit: Look I don't want to rail on about management's faults.  But I also can't just put on my blue/green glasses and pretend JB has been flawlessly great like some can. That we couldn't have been in an even better situation today with more competent, and frankly realistic, decisions over his term.  I didn't start this OP, but it was there so I am responding. I simply have to be real and acknowledge past mistakes, but that doesn't mean I am not still optimistic about the future.  Its the only way I can stay sane with this lovable but frustrating franchise I've been a fanatic fan of for almost 30 years.  But anything can happen. Good luck/research landed us Pavel Bure, and recently landed us Hughes and Petey (and Miller). JB may still find a way to improve the team more before the start of the season. I like JB's patience now in waiting it out, as players and teams become more desperate to make a deal the closer it gets to the cutoff date. That's smart. As it stands now though, we are a weaker team, especially on D, than we were last season.

Edited by kilgore
  • Haha 2

JB has royally screwed up this offseason, the fact he lost Toff and Stetcher to contracts we should have been able to match.

Is he really thinking Pod and Hoglander are coming in to be full time NHL players? I think we are in for a regression this coming season.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boest-er said:

A lot of you guys are so reactionary, Benning makes some mistakes early in his career and is paying for it. But now that something is similar can happen wehre we get handcuffed to contracts in a couple years he says no and you guys are still like wow hes such a rookie GM. Like what? This man isn't some GM who just wants to be mediocre this man wants to win. And I think he can take us there but he have to fully go through with his vision first. Leaving him now would ruin everything

100% agree - yes the Toffoli deal is a bit of a head scratcher but if he truly believes in Pods and Hoglander why would he commit to a guy he has to protect in expansion next year. By signing 2 year deals he is setting himself up nicely when Loui and Lou come off the books and can still sign Petey and Hughes to the contracts they derserve without handcuffing himself. With COVID and the fact we may not be able to attend games in person there could be another big hit to the cap or it likely stays flat - I'm ok with seeing what it looks like Post Covid before running him out of town.

Benning sounds ignorant and stupid when he speaks. I thought these were just unfortunate mannerisms but now I am thinking that his speaking is reflective of his abilities. “Dim Jim” may be a fair tag to hang on him. I understand we couldn’t afford Markstrom but Stetcher, Tanev and Toffoli signed reasonable deals and are were good team players, loved by the fans. Benning should have been canned for the Erickson deal alone. Judd Bracket would be a better GM.

Is there any way VAN buys out Tryamkin's KHL contract and he plays for the Canucks next season? I know this has been discussed to death, but I'm not certain this is an actual option. If so, I can see something like that happening. It's just been too weird the last few days, so quiet. 

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I am waiting on pins and needles for something good to happen here....

Benning has to make a deal now it seems and it better be a good one...

Losing Toffoli  and Tanev must mean he has something else up his sleeve....but...what....?

Why does it mean he has something up his sleeve? He might have just got beat and now he’s onto plan D