The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Canuck fans think Benning is a great GM?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Do Canucks fans vote Benning is a great GM  

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted "No" not because I'm a debbie downer or trying to be negative simply because JB isn't a great GM.  He has his shortcomings, but no way is he inadequate, stupid, or bad in any way.  Just simply adequate enough and has some really good moments.

On the spectrum or great and horrible, he is kinda in the middle of average for me.  Next few years will likely decide his legacy as a GM.

He's been a solid GM for Vancouver.

He created an issue for himself in signing Eriksson to this much term, but he also got handed a lot of issues that he's worked his way through.

Have been happy with him. Every GM out there has a trade or signing or two that they would like to have  a redo on, but its how the league works.

He's had his ups and downs and his hits and misses like any GM, but we're finally starting to see the fruits of his labors 

His drafting has been fantastic, his trade game has begun to improve, UFA's and contracts are hit and miss but that's just how she goes 

He's not the god some make him out to be, but he's not the sieve the folks around here calling for him to be fired every week believe he is either 

I think he's done pretty well the last few years 

Edited by Coconuts

How he handles this off-season (and the next) will determine (*MY OPINION*.......not stating it as a fact) whether he's a great GM vs merely a good GM.

With Loui still on the books (unless he retires), Benning can't afford to make another mistake like that.  Stay away from the UFA circus.  Guys get typically overpaid (and get term).  Target cheaper UFAs (if any are available).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

31 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Benning has done a lot in the 5 years, lots of ups and downs, but in the end, he's turned the team from a sinking ship to a beacon of hope. A place where star players actually want to come play. People look at the negatives way too harsh, but Benning has done a lot of good to put the team into a position where we can competitively compete for a playoff spot. It comes down to whether he can properly tweak the supporting players and give Hughes and Pettersson the support they need to alleviate the pressure off of them. 

Quoted for emphasis. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Or that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, that must be it. I spend $10,000 a year on season tickets and go to over 50% of games, good job though...

7 years left at 8.25M

How do you figure you would fit that in when Petey and Quinn will make over $16 combined.. Where is this magic cap room coming from ?

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Yeah, that must be it. I spend $10,000 a year on season tickets and go to over 50% of games, good job though...

7 years left at 8.25M

How do you figure you would fit that in when Petey and Quinn will make over $16 combined.. Where is this magic cap room coming from ?

Season ticket holder here too bud. Doesn't mean jack sh*t.

Because they can't make any other moves after they acquire OEL?

EDIT: Maybe let's hold off and see what happens before claiming that a NHL GM has no clue and us outsiders know better then them.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Season ticket holder here too bud. Doesn't mean jack sh*t.

Because they can't make any other moves after they acquire OEL?

Well, we disagree there as well. I find season ticket holders are some of the more intelligent people as they have a higher general interest in the team, you must be an ice pack guy.

What moves could you possibly make to clear room for OEL ? You'll be clearing out prospects and picks to shed the dead weight.

• Haha 1

Well, we disagree there as well. I find season ticket holders are some of the more intelligent people as they have a higher general interest in the team, you must be an ice pack guy.

If you say so.

What moves could you possibly make to clear room for OEL ? You'll be clearing out prospects and picks to shed the dead weight.

Guess it's settled then. Clearly I'm not as smart as you.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he's not *great*.  UFA signings such as Loui Erickksson, Michael Del Zaster, Sam Gagne at 3 million dollars per year, when infact they are worth 1/5th that, the gudbranson trade, trading a 2nd for Linden Vey, does not help with his cause, but to be fair too, Vanek for Motte, 1st rounder for MIller, Toffoli trade, Trading Gudbranson for pearson, and a good draft record in the end makes him an OK gm in my books.  upgraded from terrible to good in my books. 

there is not a GM in the league who is perfect and this thread is pretty dumb!!!

• Cheers 2