Vancouver Trades

Troy Stetcher

Jake Virtanen

Oli juolevi 

Loui Ericksson 

Sven Baertschi 

Well part of it is the subject of specualtion

BUT YOU GUYS have to get with the NEW circumstances

Why is Arizona trading away big contracts, c'mon think now. Because they are broke, BROKE and many other teams out there are hurting as well.

What does that mean? They still have to follow the rules, they HAVE to get to cap minimum, CAP not salary. What does this indicate to you? If they can buy a cap hit for 10 cents it is better than 1 dollar, if they can buy 10 million in cap hit for 1.5 million and get to the cap minimum is that a good deal?

With MANY teams that have lost huge money due there being no fans you think maybe that commodity is increasing in value?

Here is the lesson, it is simple

Arizona currently pays out 8 million for 8 million in cap space,

If they traded for picks the team saves 8 million in cap space and 8 million in hard cash but if their goal is the cap minimum they lose the cap hit.

If they trade for an LTIR contract they save 8 million AND the LTIR which is insured but can be used in cap calculations if they want so they save the 8 million and gain the LTIR, lets say Ferland's 3.5 mil good eh, now they save 8 million in cash and have 3.5 mil in cap hit for free.

So let's add Eriksson, his cap hit is 6 mil, his salary is 5 mil for 2 years, retain half so 1.25 mil a year and then they have 9.5 mil in cap space at a cost of 1.5 mil.

Capspace is now an inflated commodity. It is thinking about the business of hockey not the desire of fans.

This commodity is in demand now as teams grapple with the loss of fan revenue, they can see the future much easier because even the richest owners will no throw their money in a bonfire for long.

Blockbuster okay in reality it can get done for Eriksson's contract most likely but if Benning does this he has to go all in, really all in.

No teams wanted most of the rest of the players listed

No teams wanted Stecher, Baesrtchi, Juloevi or Eriksson the only player in demand is Virtanen because he is young, fast, can score, is positive in takeaways, can hit, is responsible in his own zone is a cap dream,

Troy Stetcher too small and too much - a bottom pairing

Oli juolevi - what makes him special? There are 40 defencemen that have surpassed him, three in the Canucks own system

Loui Ericksson - Contract, still a pretty decent defensive player

Sven Baertschi  - talking about his health and future, nobody wanted him for free twice last season.

A deal - OEL for Eriksson and a 4th rnd pick.

The closer it get to the start of the season the more the ice tilts away from Arizona, it could so far as a Daytsuk type deal, they give a pick and OEL to team with cap space

Edited by Lazurus
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler has 1 year left and is 34. He might get an extension of a couple of years, maybe around $5. Re-sign Fantenberg cheap, he was good in the playoffs. Give Rafferty his shot, and he's cheap. Hughes is a top pairing Dman and can play the right side, upside, downside, inside, outside, he's all over the place. I think a OEL - Hughes top pairing would be great.  If Tanev agrees to $4.5 or under $5, he and Edler would form a great 2nd pairing. Assuming Juolevi and ?? are gone.

Ekman-Larsson ($8.25) - Hughes ($10)

Edler ($5-6) - Tanev - $4.5-5)

Fantenberg ($1.5) - Rafferty (under $1)

Benn ($2)

Chatfield (under $1)

Seems doable to me

That Myers guy probably needs to stand up since you didn't notice him.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Raanta is a good backup who is playing in a contract year just like Robin Lehner did and will have a good year to prove he can be a 1a and beat out Demko plus you get rid Sven Baertshi contract for Raanta essentially that's a steal.

It takes 2 teams to make a deal.  If it's a "steal" in your mind, don't you think you may have to consider why the other team would so it? 

I would love to add OEL, but the contract is scary AF. Even if we send Eriksson out it still sets us back cap-wise short & long term.

But then again, he has a big contract because he's a good player. It would spell the end of Tanev this year & Edler next year, but solves our problem of what the defense looks like beyond Hughes long term. 

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Stecher

Edler - Benn/Rafferty

Would offer us amazing depth, but a weak right side. Unless you can pickup someone akin to Bogosian/Shattenkirk like Tampa did. And quite honestly I think that type of signing will be available given the flat cap. (granted the player wants to come here)

6 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Well part of it is the subject of specualtion

BUT YOU GUYS have to get with the NEW circumstances

Why is Arizona trading away big contracts, c'mon think now. Because they are broke, BROKE and many other teams out there are hurting as well.

What does that mean? They still have to follow the rules, they HAVE to get to cap minimum, CAP not salary. What does this indicate to you? If they can buy a cap hit for 10 cents it is better than 1 dollar, if they can buy 10 million in cap hit for 1.5 million and get to the cap minimum is that a good deal?

With MANY teams that have lost huge money due there being no fans you think maybe that commodity is increasing in value?

Here is the lesson, it is simple

Arizona currently pays out 8 million for 8 million in cap space,

If they traded for picks the team saves 8 million in cap space and 8 million in hard cash but if their goal is the cap minimum they lose the cap hit.

If they trade for an LTIR contract they save 8 million AND the LTIR which is insured but can be used in cap calculations if they want so they save the 8 million and gain the LTIR, lets say Ferland's 3.5 mil good eh, now they save 8 million in cash and have 3.5 mil in cap hit for free.

So let's add Eriksson, his cap hit is 6 mil, his salary is 5 mil for 2 years, retain half so 1.25 mil a year and then they have 9.5 mil in cap space at a cost of 1.5 mil.

Capspace is now an inflated commodity. It is thinking about the business of hockey not the desire of fans.

This commodity is in demand now as teams grapple with the loss of fan revenue, they can see the future much easier because even the richest owners will no throw their money in a bonfire for long.

Blockbuster okay in reality it can get done for Eriksson's contract most likely but if Benning does this he has to go all in, really all in.

No teams wanted most of the rest of the players listed

No teams wanted Stecher, Baesrtchi, Juloevi or Eriksson the only player in demand is Virtanen because he is young, fast, can score, is positive in takeaways, can hit, is responsible in his own zone is a cap dream,

Troy Stetcher too small and too much - a bottom pairing

Oli juolevi - what makes him special? There are 40 defencemen that ha surpassed him, three in the Canucks own system

Loui Ericksson - Contract, still a pretty decent defensive player

Sven Baertschi  - talking about his health and future, nobody wanted him for free twice last season.

A deal - OEL for Eriksson and a 4th rnd pick.

The closer it get to the start of the season the more the ice tilts away from Arizona, it could so far as a Daytsuk type deal, they give a pick and OEL to team with cap space

I think that’s what people are having a hard time grasping. I don’t think OEL has requested a trade rather than Arizona trying to shed the 8.5 million that they’ll have to pay him with minimal revenue coming in. I really do think some hockey markets will be hurting and we could see a weird trade market where teams try to reach the cap floor without spending real dollars. So much so that they might find value in Eriksson playing in their bottom 6. Now I’m not saying value as in where they pay assets to get him but where Benning might not have to give up as much as people are thinking to get rid of him. Ottawa has been a very cheap team and some of these rebuilding teams might not want to spend too much for FA’s when there might not be fans in the stands helping the owners turn profits on the team. Paying Eriksson 2.5 mill a year but counting as 6 mill to get you closer to the cap floor might actually be attractive to some teams.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think that’s what people are having a hard time grasping. I don’t think OEL has requested a trade rather than Arizona trying to shed the 8.5 million that they’ll have to pay him with minimal revenue coming in. I really do think some hockey markets will be hurting and we could see a weird trade market where teams try to reach the cap floor without spending real dollars. So much so that they might find value in Eriksson playing in their bottom 6. Now I’m not saying value as in where they pay assets to get him but where Benning might not have to give up as much as people are thinking to get rid of him. Ottawa has been a very cheap team and some of these rebuilding teams might not want to spend too much for FA’s when there might not be fans in the stands helping the owners turn profits on the team. Paying Eriksson 2.5 mill a year but counting as 6 mill to get you closer to the cap floor might actually be attractive to some teams.

Retain 1/2 Eriksson's salary and he would like the tax environment in Arizona.

I see there are loads of fans that want to make the same mistake that TO did and give 10 mil to Hughes and Pettersson on their next deal.

Why? Sure they will have great stats but it will be their 2nd contracts and they are RFA's.

Why not along the lines of Drasatl, MacKinnon, Panarin, Tarasenko or dozens of the others, a modest but good 6 mil a season or so.

It isn't like the team has to get ahead of inflating salaries, if anything they are likely to go down because the cap is staying the same for the immediate future atleast 3 years and possible longer.

Decades ago the Barons and Northstars combined teams, this could happen again, a one in a thousand shot or more but this covid is crushing some teams. As long as the NHL has Quebec city in it's back pocket I think everything will be okay but some teams are past the edge.

Arizona lost 30 mil with fans and local revenue, what do you think it is like now? A bonfire.

38 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Retain 1/2 Eriksson's salary and he would like the tax environment in Arizona.

I see there are loads of fans that want to make the same mistake that TO did and give 10 mil to Hughes and Pettersson on their next deal.

Why? Sure they will have great stats but it will be their 2nd contracts and they are RFA's.

Why not along the lines of Drasatl, MacKinnon, Panarin, Tarasenko or dozens of the others, a modest but good 6 mil a season or so.

It isn't like the team has to get ahead of inflating salaries, if anything they are likely to go down because the cap is staying the same for the immediate future atleast 3 years and possible longer.

Decades ago the Barons and Northstars combined teams, this could happen again, a one in a thousand shot or more but this covid is crushing some teams. As long as the NHL has Quebec city in it's back pocket I think everything will be okay but some teams are past the edge.

Arizona lost 30 mil with fans and local revenue, what do you think it is like now? A bonfire.

Retain nothing on Eriksson. It will make it too hard to take on an 8.5 mill cap hit to keep 3 mill of Eriksson on the cap. Eriksson has been paid most of his money so while he’s 6 million on the cap he’s only paid 2.5 mill a year. I think for a team that might be trying to chase the cap floor and pushing money out having Loui pull in 6 mill in cap is not that bad. He’s not bad for a team that cares more about cap floors than cap ceilings. Loui is still a viable bottom 6 and pker which isn’t that bad for a 2.5 mill price tag per year.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

It really comes down to what the cost is. It’s a bit of a cap dump for ARI, could be an opportunity to get a lot better, it would give us Edlers long term replacement... and possibly not cost us much in return where as losing BB would suck - even with Ekblad coming our way I’d miss the guy.   BB has leadership qualities and is our pick ... makes it tough to consider parting with him.   He’s a huge part of our existing core.   Carlo id pass on for BB, want to see what we have in both Rafferty and Woo before we make a deal like that.   Now if we could package JV plus for Carlo or Cernak - what a coupe.   Also Cernak is doesn’t look to be available - both him and Sergachev look to be part of TB long term plans.   I wouldn’t be surprised if Point ends up getting squeezed out of Tampa to keep that engine running...

The only reason why I’d be willing to move Boeser is that even without Boeser, our RW would still be considered to be an organizational strength both short term and long term.

Toffoli, Virtanen, Eriksson, and MacEwen with Podkolzin and Lind in the system is still quite strong.  Meanwhile, the Canucks would get, ideally, a HUGE boost to their right side D that would not only form a super pairing with Quinn Hughes for the next 7-10 years, but would also allow us to move on from both Tanev and Edler when they become UFA’s, which would serve our ultimate aim of being able to comfortably re-up Pettersson and Hughes.  

• Cheers 1

I would do Boeser + Eriksson + 1st round pick 2021 + Lind  for OEL

If we can resign Toffoli

Line up :

Miller - Petey -Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Defense

Edler - OEL (offhand side)

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - ??

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

It takes 2 teams to make a deal.  If it's a "steal" in your mind, don't you think you may have to consider why the other team would so it? 

yeah I already mentioned why Arizona would do this to CUT SALARY and not have two $4 million goaltenders when they have 2 goalies in the minors on cheap deals that are waiting to play in the NHL. 

Do you even read bro? 

Plus Arizona has realized the goalie market is dead as Edmonton was not going to give up their 1st for Kuemper they gave up. 

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we can resign Toffoli

Line up :

Miller - Petey -Toffoli

Defense

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - ??

go back to NHL21 buddy because the Canucks aren't trading Boeser and the Coyotes don't want his contract and $7 million qualifying offer after his contract ends. Plus Vancouver is not going to part with there 1st next year. This trade is going to be built around prospects and Canucks RFA's 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Retain nothing on Eriksson. It will make it too hard to take on an 8.5 mill cap hit to keep 3 mill of Eriksson on the cap. Eriksson has been paid most of his money so while he’s 6 million on the cap he’s only paid 2.5 mill a year. I think for a team that might be trying to chase the cap floor and pushing money out having Loui pull in 6 mill in cap is not that bad. He’s not bad for a team that cares more about cap floors than cap ceilings. Loui is still a viable bottom 6 and pker which isn’t that bad for a 2.5 mill price tag per year.

You retain salary only, the Yotes get the cap hit, just look a Kessel's contract for comparison

Besides there is always Ferland's contract that can be even better for some clubs, literally a free 3.5 mil cap hit with no money going out

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

go back to NHL21 buddy because the Canucks aren't trading Boeser and the Coyotes don't want his contract and $7 million qualifying offer after his contract ends. Plus Vancouver is not going to part with there 1st next year. This trade is going to be built around prospects and Canucks RFA's 

Sounds like coyotes want a first round pick included, 7 million qualifying offer isn't terrible for Boeser who's easily a perennial 30 goal scorer that would look great next to Keller. If Canucks want OEL they are going to have to give up a premium player. OEL has been a Norris trophy Candidate.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Sounds like coyotes want a first round pick included, 7 million qualifying offer isn't terrible for Boeser who's easily a perennial 30 goal scorer that would look great next to Keller. If Canucks want OEL they are going to have to give up a premium player. OEL has been a Norris trophy Candidate.  

Yeah but the Canucks don't have the draft pick ammunition and more then draft picks Arizona wants cheap contracts. But Arizona is over a barrel with only Vancouver in the deal and won't get everything they want.

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The only reason why I’d be willing to move Boeser is that even without Boeser, our RW would still be considered to be an organizational strength both short term and long term.

Toffoli, Virtanen, Eriksson, and MacEwen with Podkolzin and Lind in the system is still quite strong.  Meanwhile, the Canucks would get, ideally, a HUGE boost to their right side D that would not only form a super pairing with Quinn Hughes for the next 7-10 years, but would also allow us to move on from both Tanev and Edler when they become UFA’s, which would serve our ultimate aim of being able to comfortably re-up Pettersson and Hughes.  

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

And here I thought Twitter was gonna have the worst trade proposals I was ever gonna see. I dunno why I ever doubt CDC's armchair GMing.

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we can resign Toffoli

Line up :

Miller - Petey -Toffoli

Defense

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - ??

7 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

yeah I already mentioned why Arizona would do this to CUT SALARY and not have two $4 million goaltenders when they have 2 goalies in the minors on cheap deals that are waiting to play in the NHL. 

Do you even read bro? 

Plus Arizona has realized the goalie market is dead as Edmonton was not going to give up their 1st for Kuemper they gave up. 

At this time many of you have to really concentrate on the effects of a flat cap and reduced fan participation.

Trading Virtanen for anything other than a similar player in age and stats is not real smart, they could proably get him for under 2.5 mil and that is a lot less than Sutter, Pearson (who some of his stats surpass), Rousell or Beagle, while they bring something different to the team they cannot score, are not as fast and cannot hit like he does, his takeaway stat is one of the only positive one's on the team, when on the ice he gets the puck more often than giving it up, Pearson is the opposite and he plays with Horvat.

Lamorellio stated there is much more going on, so really expand your thoughts, first the team needs cap space, so no FAs re-signed, they still need Virtanen's 18 to 25 goals he could get playing an additional 2 minutes a game and his cap hit.