The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Latest Arizona - Vancouver blockbuster trade

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I don't understand the argument of Ekblad being "too expensive" at a 7.5 million dollar cap hit for another 5 years.   That's actually terrific value.   Ekblad's presence would allow us to walk from Tanev's 4.45 million (or whatever it currently is), while Boeser going the other way takes 5.85 million off our books.   The end result would be a reduction in team salary.

No I agree with you his cap hit, I mean too expensive in to get in a trade and will completely mess up their future cap structure with trading either Podkolzn or Hoglander as they are future 3rd liners to start and move into top 6 when needed as they both play hard nose, tough puck possession games that have high energy with scoring touch on elc is too high value to trade away for the Canucks. It is easier to get OEL with just taking on long term salary as the risk and moving out LE and at least one if their RFA's they can't resign anyways. 

I don't think this trade is as far fetched as most have said. Looks like the owners of AZ wants to trim payroll and gather alot of young talent and be like what the Sens are doing. So for a trade proposal, I can see for OEL, could be Eriksson, Virtanen, 1st next year, Juoveli or Rathbone and Demko. AZ gets alot of young cheaper players who can still develop into good players and Demko who can grow with the them when  they're tanking. With Eriksson getting only 5 mill for the next 2 years, the owners save 11 million and are off the hooks from the OEL deal 4 years earlier. If Benning was to try to do this trade, I would hope he tries to add in Sutter as well so that he has a bit of leeway for signing others or else he'll have a hard time for resigning or even bringing in new players. Also if AZ is doing a dumpster fire, they'll need to hit the floor so gathering a ton of young talent and picks while icing an AHL team. They won't resign Hall, looks like they want to trade Kuemper. Heard they want to trade Kessel and now OEL? With the uncertainty of the AZ ownders  and possibility  there's no fans again for next year, the owners may want to tank for the next few years.

As for trading for OEL, I think he'll be great for the team for the time being but as everyone has pointed out, 8.5 mill for another 6 years is steep! The team still has to resign EP and QH. The only positives I see is that if the team does make the move, Eriksson and Sutter contracts will be gone.

I don't want to touch OEL with a 10 foot pole.

Firts off he's a LHD we don't need that.

Second his salary is over 10m for the next several years there might not even be an NHL next season. from an ownership standpoint I vito this in a flash. All of our bad contracts are expiring we have nothing we could give them that would be as equivelenty damaging as OEL's contract They could take LOui Sutter and Bae and still come out ahead.

OEL is gonna be a  big no from me DAWG!

18 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

OEL is the fastest way to cut payroll now and the future while not completely depleting their young forwards on good deals, plus Arizona has Sodderstrom graduating to the NHL.

Also Virtanen and one of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo are not garbage. 

The fact is Arizona can not afford OEL massive contract that is why they are focussing on trading him and not Goligoski or Hjalmarsson who have better trade value. The fact that he is a captain is a non factor because teams trade their captains all the time just look at Montreal over the years.

They do no want to take salary back. Juloevi is cheap, they may do that, but why not pay 1.5 mil for a 9.5 cap hit, thats' a 8 million dollar swing for them?

Lots of teams are struggling, some you wouldn't think would be. Even the Canucks.

This offseason could be like a fantasy league with some really wild trades. It has become really obvious if a team HAS money and CAP SPACE they could revamp their team quickly.

Many Players under 26 like

Sergachev

Cernak

Anderson

Keller

OEL

Laine

Virtanen

Gaudette

Bouchard

Any one of 15 Buffalo Sabres

5 or 6 Florida

Tampa has to shed to get under

Vegas has to shed to get under

Vancouver only has to not sign it's FA's to get under,

There are literally 4 times the usual number of names floating around everywhere.

So many teams have to pivot from escalating contracts they have already signed to the reality of a flat cap for years to come, and maybe even a lower cap.

Just about any rumour you can think of could be real. Just one thing adjust your own thinking, Eriksson's contract is now like 18K gold and Ferlands, 24K gold. Soon maybe even a extremely high pick.

Players like Virtanen that can score 20 to 30 goals a year for less than 3 mil are coveted

2 hours ago, Whalespray said:

I don't want to touch OEL with a 10 foot pole.

Firts off he's a LHD we don't need that.

Second his salary is over 10m for the next several years there might not even be an NHL next season. from an ownership standpoint I vito this in a flash. All of our bad contracts are expiring we have nothing we could give them that would be as equivelenty damaging as OEL's contract They could take LOui Sutter and Bae and still come out ahead.

OEL is gonna be a  big no from me DAWG!

The only thing that I do like about OEL and Arizona as a trading partner, is that....

1) OEL’s presence can allow us to walk from Edler next season.

2) Arizona can take on Eriksson and Sutter can buy them out and not really care about the cap ramifications.   

Having said that, Arizona is going to want some serious prospects and players.   We’d be looking at moving atleast Virtanen, one of Juolevi or Rathbone, and one of Hoglander or Demko.    

It could definitely end up being a situation where the more bad contracts Arizona takes from us, the more prospects and RFA’s we’d have to give away.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

No I agree with you his cap hit, I mean too expensive in to get in a trade and will completely mess up their future cap structure with trading either Podkolzn or Hoglander as they are future 3rd liners to start and move into top 6 when needed as they both play hard nose, tough puck possession games that have high energy with scoring touch on elc is too high value to trade away for the Canucks. It is easier to get OEL with just taking on long term salary as the risk and moving out LE and at least one if their RFA's they can't resign anyways. 

But why would Arizona have any desire to take a cap dump player (Eriksson) in return for a high quality d-man? Never mind a second cap dump in Baer. You pay extra to move cap dumps. Suggesting adding a second cap dump in Baertschi means paying even more Here's the problem: you're offering two average players (Virtanen & Stecher) and a question mark (Juolevi) for a very good player. If I really want to move OEL i might consider that, purely based on Juolevi having good potential, but wouldn't feel great about that deal. But you're adding two cap dumps and want a pretty good goalie from them as well in the deal. Swap out Virtanen with Boeser and I would possibly take Eriksson on but not Baer or include the goalie. That makes the deal a good forward for a good d-man and an average d-man plus good potential for the one $6m cap dump. That I would consider if there wasn't any better offers. But even at that I see it as Vancouver coming out better in the deal. We're moving out over $15m cap and getting back $8. Giving us the cap space to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. They may want to move OEL because of his salary but that doesn't mean they want to give him away for a bagful of crap.

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The only thing that I do like about OEL and Arizona as a trading partner, is that....

1) OEL’s presence can allow us to walk from Edler next season.

2) Arizona can take on Eriksson and Sutter can buy them out and not really care about the cap ramifications.   

Having said that, Arizona is going to want some serious prospects and players.   We’d be looking at moving atleast Virtanen, one of Juolevi or Rathbone, and one of Hoglander or Demko.    

It could definitely end up being a situation where the more bad contracts Arizona takes from us, the more prospects and RFA’s we’d have to give away.  

Hard nope

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

Hard nope

I completely agree, but it looks like Benning is hell bent on making the OEL thing work somehow.   

Benning also seems to want to have both Markstrom and Demko here, but I think that would potentially be creating another Luongo/Schneider situation beyond next season if that happened (and if the Canucks were to somehow protect both Markstrom and Demko from expansion).   

Maybe I’m wrong here for thinking this, but I think the Canucks should either.....

A) Let Markstrom walk, make Demko the guy, and sign a 1A guy like Talbot or Greiss to help Demko ease into the number one role (60-40 or 65-35 split favoring Demko).

B-) Use Demko as a massive sweetener to move out Eriksson+.   Given Demko’s heroics in those last three playoff games, I think this can be achieved.   A team like Detroit should be able to take on Eriksson and Sutter or Eriksson and Ferland for instance.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

But why would Arizona have any desire to take a cap dump player (Eriksson) in return for a high quality d-man? Never mind a second cap dump in Baer. You pay extra to move cap dumps. Suggesting adding a second cap dump in Baertschi means paying even more Here's the problem: you're offering two average players (Virtanen & Stecher) and a question mark (Juolevi) for a very good player. If I really want to move OEL i might consider that, purely based on Juolevi having good potential, but wouldn't feel great about that deal. But you're adding two cap dumps and want a pretty good goalie from them as well in the deal. Swap out Virtanen with Boeser and I would possibly take Eriksson on but not Baer or include the goalie. That makes the deal a good forward for a good d-man and an average d-man plus good potential for the one $6m cap dump. That I would consider if there wasn't any better offers. But even at that I see it as Vancouver coming out better in the deal. We're moving out over $15m cap and getting back $8. Giving us the cap space to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. They may want to move OEL because of his salary but that doesn't mean they want to give him away for a bagful of crap.

they don't want but they also don't want to be on the hook for 7 years and $57+ million and only have to take LE cap hit of $6 for two years when his actual salary is like $5 million over the next two years. 

People just understanding how much trouble the Arizona team is in financially as they couldn't pay their bonuses on time and was telling their players the cheque is in the mail until the players talked to the nhlpa and the league. 

I under estimated what it would take to get Raanta but if you add a 3rd round pick and $4 million cash to cover the bonus Arizona already paid to OEL in the September I think Arizona ownership would have a hard time saying no as they don't want two $4+ million goalies on the roster and those two alone would put them below $70 million cap and I don't see them keeping Virtanen and Stetcher and using them to get draft picks like I was hearing from tsn insiders that Ottawa would consider two 2nds for Virtanen which is what Arizona badly wants. 

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

OEL

for 

Sutter

Virtanen

Juolevi or Rathbone or Woo

Demko 

Eriksson 

Kuemper may be on the move and this could help push them to make the deal and she’s his salary. Demko can be thier future starter. Virtanen likely slots into thier 2nd line whilst Sutter takes over 3rd line Center duties which they seem to have a need for. Juolevi or Rathbone potentially gives them a top 4 damn.  Eriksson gets them to the cap floor without having to pay real dollars which seems to the the real reason they are trying to move OEL out. 

We could then sign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seannnp said:

OEL

for 

Sutter

Virtanen

Juolevi or Rathbone or Woo

Demko 

Eriksson 

Kuemper may be on the move and this could help push them to make the deal and she’s his salary. Demko can be thier future starter. Virtanen likely slots into thier 2nd line whilst Sutter takes over 3rd line Center duties which they seem to have a need for. Juolevi or Rathbone potentially gives them a top 4 damn.  Eriksson gets them to the cap floor without having to pay real dollars which seems to the the real reason they are trying to move OEL out. 

We could then sign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev. 

you are crazy and should never include Demko in this trade as this is giving him away and not understanding that Vancouver has Arizona over a barrel and are negotiating against yourself.

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

you are crazy and should never include Demko in this trade as this is giving him away and not understanding that Vancouver has Arizona over a barrel and are negotiating against yourself.

Some have him included as a sweetener to dump Eriksson. I would love to keep both him and Markstrom but we can only protect 1. After the Schneider for a top 10 pick and how it has played out, Demko likely only fetches a 2nd rounder. I don’t think we can land OEL without a top prospect (at least I think he’s still a prospect) like Demko. Smaller pieces and bad contracts aren’t going to get it done. Have to give to get to improve this team and OEL vastly improves this team on the backend. 

Arizona doesn’t have to trade OEL. I also haven’t read that he has demanded a trade. The only leverage we have is that Vancouver is one of two destinations he is willing to go to. 

Edited by Seannnp

11 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

they don't want but they also don't want to be on the hook for 7 years and $57+ million and only have to take LE cap hit of $6 for two years when his actual salary is like $5 million over the next two years. 

People just understanding how much trouble the Arizona team is in financially as they couldn't pay their bonuses on time and was telling their players the cheque is in the mail until the players talked to the nhlpa and the league. 

I under estimated what it would take to get Raanta but if you add a 3rd round pick and $4 million cash to cover the bonus Arizona already paid to OEL in the September I think Arizona ownership would have a hard time saying no as they don't want two $4+ million goalies on the roster and those two alone would put them below $70 million cap and I don't see them keeping Virtanen and Stetcher and using them to get draft picks like I was hearing from tsn insiders that Ottawa would consider two 2nds for Virtanen which is what Arizona badly wants. 

The problem is they don't need Eriksson's cap hit nor are they cleaning house to rebuild. They're not struggling to hit the cap floor. They need less expensive young players, not old dead weight players. The Bruins would make a much better offer than what you're suggesting. Here's the real rub, the Coyotes are rumored to be looking for a 1st round pick in the trade package. They want a picks/prospects package. The B's are rumored to have offered their 2020 2nd, 2021 1st and a decent D prospect. You think they'll take a cap dump without something extra to do it? We don't have a 1st or 2nd to offer from this year. They could take Louie's contract but it will cost more. In the neighborhood of Juolevi with Hoglander or Podkolzin, and next years 2nd.

3 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Some have him included as a sweetener to dump Eriksson. I would love to keep both him and Markstrom but we can only protect 1. After the Schneider for a top 10 pick and how it has played out, Demko likely only fetches a 2nd rounder. I don’t think we can land OEL without a top prospect (at least I think he’s still a prospect) like Demko. Smaller pieces and bad contracts aren’t going to get it done. Have to give to get to improve this team and OEL vastly improves this team on the backend. 

Arizona doesn’t have to trade OEL. I also haven’t read that he has demanded a trade. The only leverage we have is that Vancouver is one of two destinations he is willing to go to. 

Which means another team is making offers as well. Also Edmonton has joined the rumor mill and has supposedly been talking to them. 

20 hours ago, Baggins said:

Which means another team is making offers as well. Also Edmonton has joined the rumor mill and has supposedly been talking to them. 

You guys do not understand what is going on with Arizona do you?

They could not pay their player’s bonuses on time in the summer and with OEL $4 million bonus where the owners kept telling their players that the Cheque is in the mail and after over a week they contacted the nhlpa and league and then their bonuses getting deposited. So they are trading OEL because they need to slash their budget to a $65million cap team and these owners do not want to be tied to paying $55 million over 7 years. If the economy isn’t as bad as it is now and fans in seats then they have slash their budgets greatly and OEL would not even be think of trading. 

9 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

You guys do not understand what is going on with Arizona do you?

They could not pay their player’s bonuses on time in the summer and with OEL $4 million bonus where the owners kept telling their players that the Cheque is in the mail and after over a week they contacted the nhlpa and league and then their bonuses getting deposited. So they are trading OEL because they need to slash their budget to a $65million cap team and these owners do not want to be tied to paying $55 million over 7 years. If the economy isn’t as bad as it is now and fans in seats then they have slash their budgets greatly and OEL would not even be think of trading. 

Oh we understand. It doesn't change his value or teams interest in acquiring him. You can make up any crap offer you want but it doesn't mean they'll take it when there's other teams interested. Arizona has always been a budget team that goes through cycles of moving high contracts. They haven't given their players away for crap offers though. The only part of your suggestion they'd be interested in is Juolevi. You're ignoring the fact there are "other teams" making offers. A team that's looking to save money isn't looking to take more salary back than they're trading. You're offering two cap dumps, two average players, and a prospect. They're not going for that. Stacking crap doesn't get you a top 2 d-man. The other teams will make real offers for that player.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Oh we understand. It doesn't change his value or teams interest in acquiring him. You can make up any crap offer you want but it doesn't mean they'll take it when there's other teams interested. Arizona has always been a budget team that goes through cycles of moving high contracts. They haven't given their players away for crap offers though. The only part of your suggestion they'd be interested in is Juolevi. You're ignoring the fact there are "other teams" making offers. A team that's looking to save money isn't looking to take more salary back than they're trading. You're offering two cap dumps, two average players, and a prospect. They're not going for that. Stacking crap doesn't get you a top 2 d-man. The other teams will make real offers for that player.

It does not matter about any other teams making  offers because OEL is only letting Arizona trade him to 2 teams, so what ever offer you think he is actually worth has just been reduced by a great percentage on the shear fact Arizona has been a $75 million plus team the last few years and now has to get to $65 million and most likely less as has been reported. And you may think a deal is garbage but when a team can’t pay their players bonuses on time and need to tell them the cheque is in the mail and then the league has to get involved then things are bad, very bad for the teams financial outlook. OEL would not be getting traded if covid19 didn’t hit and kill the economy and this not like the housing market crash in Arizona because they were above the floor cap those years but now is a different story. I am guessing Arizona is going to stick to Benning on trying to get a first by dealing Virtanen and someone else for a 1st rounder if they have to as there is apparently a lot of interest in him. The Canucks should try to get Raanta though as he would be awesome to play with Demko and he will be this seasons Robin Lehner. 

9 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

It does not matter about any other teams making  offers because OEL is only letting Arizona trade him to 2 teams, so what ever offer you think he is actually worth has just been reduced by a great percentage on the shear fact Arizona has been a $75 million plus team the last few years and now has to get to $65 million and most likely less as has been reported. And you may think a deal is garbage but when a team can’t pay their players bonuses on time and need to tell them the cheque is in the mail and then the league has to get involved then things are bad, very bad for the teams financial outlook. OEL would not be getting traded if covid19 didn’t hit and kill the economy and this not like the housing market crash in Arizona because they were above the floor cap those years but now is a different story. I am guessing Arizona is going to stick to Benning on trying to get a first by dealing Virtanen and someone else for a 1st rounder if they have to as there is apparently a lot of interest in him. The Canucks should try to get Raanta though as he would be awesome to play with Demko and he will be this seasons Robin Lehner. 

GM's often listen to offers from other teams and if it's satisfactory go back to the player and ask if he'll accept a move there. Often the answer is no but sometimes a player will accept if it works for him and his family. It really depends on the player. Burrows had an ntc and said he never thought about Ottawa. Benning had an offer and simply asked if Burrows would go there. But let me ask this would you rather have your turd package or a 1st, 2nd, and a prospect if you're looking to cut cost? Rumor is that's what the Bruins offered and Arizona is pushing for their top D prospect instead of the one the B's offered. But the Oilers have also been reportedly in talks with Arizona's GM. 

• Wat 1

21 minutes ago, Baggins said:

GM's often listen to offers from other teams and if it's satisfactory go back to the player and ask if he'll accept a move there. Often the answer is no but sometimes a player will accept if it works for him and his family. It really depends on the player. Burrows had an ntc and said he never thought about Ottawa. Benning had an offer and simply asked if Burrows would go there. But let me ask this would you rather have your turd package or a 1st, 2nd, and a prospect if you're looking to cut cost? Rumor is that's what the Bruins offered and Arizona is pushing for their top D prospect instead of the one the B's offered. But the Oilers have also been reportedly in talks with Arizona's GM. 

it is noted all over by hockey insiders on tv, radio and on the web that the list is 2 teams and only 2 teams and OEL is not adding more teams. Burrows situation and Kesler's situation are much different then OEL and I do not understand why so many people do not understand this.