The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Robin Lehner

On 9/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, Squamfan said:

remember Vegas has no tax so it has a impact on how much players make and on the teams cap hit

Yip. What if the tax breaks equaled lower AAV for all the Canadian teams vs where it mostly benefits the southern markets now. Think this would fly? I think not. 

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. What if the tax breaks equaled lower AAV for all the Canadian teams vs where it mostly benefits the southern markets now. Think this would fly? I think not. 

are you suggesting the NHL has some sway over state/provincial or federal tax rules? how would the NHL manipulate things in your conspiracy theory?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

are you suggesting the NHL has some sway over state/provincial or federal tax rules? how would the NHL manipulate things in your conspiracy theory?

The no tax states are in southern markets where they are trying to grow the game. It's an unfair advantage imho. Lehner's contract is less because of it. Several contracts in Tampa same thing. NHL could care less if these teams have an advantage signing players. But if these teams were Canadian, and winning, my guess it would be different. Final four this year had three teams in tax friendly states. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

The no tax states are in southern markets where they are trying to grow the game. It's an unfair advantage imho. Lehner's contract is less because of it. Several contracts in Tampa same thing. NHL could care less if these teams have an advantage signing players. But if these teams were Canadian, and winning, my guess it would be different. Final four this year had three teams in tax friendly states. 

It isn't fair but if you have a good team the better players should want to sign with you for the best chance at a cup. At the end of the day tho it is a business and players have a short self life to make $, so I am all for Markstrom testing FA to try and bring home as much bank as he can. 

Is 5m in Vegas more like 6m in Raincouver? 

Markstrom is NOT worth more than Lehner imo, walk away and trade his rights if he passes on a 4yr 20m deal from us

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

and I'm asking WHAT you think would be different. HOW would the NHL handicap things against Canadian teams if they were the one with the tax breaks? if trudeau cancelled income tax tomorrow, what would your villain, gary bettman, do about it?

Edited by tas

8 minutes ago, tas said:

and I'm asking WHAT you think would be different. HOW would the NHL handicap things against Canadian teams if they were the one with the tax breaks? if trudeau cancelled income tax tomorrow, what would your villain, gary bettman, do about it?

Because it's an unfair competitive advantage but the advantage goes to teams-markets that the NHL is trying to grow so they look the other way. If the competitive advantage was swayed towards an eased tax situation in Canada you could bet it would be looked at. What can the NHL do? Easy. You find the median for the percentage of income paid to taxes throughout the leugue. Once you have that whatever your teams advantage, say 15 percent no state tax advantage, gets taken off your max cap allowance. 

Edited by rekker
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Because it's an unfair competitive advantage buy the advantage goes to teams-markets that the NHL is trying to grow so they look the other way. If the competitive advantage was swayed towards an eased tax situation in Canada you could bet it would be looked at. What can the NHL do? Easy. You find the median for the percentage of income paid to taxes throughout the leugue. Once you have that whatever your teams advantage, say 15 percent no state tax advantage, gets taken off your max cap allowance. 

it would never fly. canadian team owners are on the board of governors, too, remember. 

30 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Remember no tax in Vegas so it has a impact on how much he makes and cap hit.

This chaps my hide.  Just goes to show that the NHL salary cap should be regionally based on taxes.  Otherwise it’s not a level playing field.  If I was Aquilli I would be pissed I’m retroactively paying the Lou penalty.  And we wonder why a Canadian team haven’t won the cup since 1993.  It’s not a level playing field!

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate

41 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Is it a coincidence that Tampa, Dallas and Vegas have some of the lowest tax rates in the US?

yes. it is.

it's irrelevent imo.

first, you have to ask yourselves whether and how this advantage is playing out for these teams...

the most obvious advantage would/should be in the relative stream of free agents to these markets - if this is so important to players.

Vegas' build came via the expansion draft and then the spoils of their subsequent moves (not

when you look at the Tampa Lightning...

Virtually their entire team has been built throught the draft and through the trade market - no evidence of any material advantage in the UFA market, no dependence upon it, in fact their build is about as legit as you can ask.

the question then becomes - are the players on these teams taking lower cap hits in the end (what really matters in team advantage)?  I don't see it  - don't buy it and don't care if they wind up taking home a % more of their millions.   Look at their roster - identify the cap discounts - and then make the case imo - if you still can.

There would have to be a far more in depth look at relative cap hits to performance before any of you could substantiate this as an effective/existing advantage that plays out in a tangible way in the end.

Players still looking to come to Canadian teams - in fact the Canucks have seen an uptick in interest in signing here - I'd suggest it has as much to do with team trajectory, the attractiveness of the place to live - numerous factors - as simple state tax rates.    Not buying it - as someone that would be entirely willing to acknowledge this were it in fact evident on any level.