The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Robin Lehner

Hard not to cheer for Robin and be happy for him given his personal struggles. Vegas is going to be a team that will continue to have no issues attracting talent based on the fact they are a great team, Vegas is a desirable place to live and the players keep more of their money. I believe Vegas is going to become our next Chicago in that we will have to go through them in the playoffs.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that Players on Canadian teams are paid in USD but pay taxes in CND. Supposedly this balances out things more then people realize. I can’t remember where the article I read was so, take it with a grain of salt...

Edited by NorthWestNuck

5 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

One thing to keep in mind is that Players on Canadian teams are paid in USD but pay taxes in CND. Supposedly this balances out things more then people realize. I can’t remember where the article I read was so, take it with a grain of salt...

Yeah and there's tax loopholes etc. There was info from an agent or financial guy... The taxes paid aren't enough of a difference between teams to make any meaningful difference 

Lehner is slightly better then Marky in terms of the dollars that he should command.  I'd rather have Marky on my team though as he's trending up in the last two years.  

Come on Marky, take a 5x5 deal and make it backloaded to convince Seattle not to take you!  

Comparing Lehner to Markstrom:
Lehner Career: 317 GP, 2.68GAA, .917 SV%
Jacob Markstrom: 284 GP, 2.81 GAA, .911 SV%

Last year:
Lehner: 34GP, 2.89 GAA, .920 SV%
Markstrom: 43 GP, 2.75 GAA, .918 SV%

2019:
Lehner: 43 GP, 2.13 GAA, .930 SV%
Markstrom: 60 GP, 2.77 GAA, .912 SV%

Their stats in the past couple years have been fairly similar, although Markstrom has been used more. Markstrom is also older. I'd give Marky around the same amount of money for a year less of term and call it a day. If he wants anything about 6, get out of there. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

It isn't fair but if you have a good team the better players should want to sign with you for the best chance at a cup. At the end of the day tho it is a business and players have a short self life to make $, so I am all for Markstrom testing FA to try and bring home as much bank as he can. 

Is 5m in Vegas more like 6m in Raincouver? 

Markstrom is NOT worth more than Lehner imo, walk away and trade his rights if he passes on a 4yr 20m deal from us

Yes.   And it is for 27 of the other teams in the league too.   Dallas, Tampa, Vegas and Florida all enjoy a 10-15% cap advantage over the rest of the teams. 

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah and there's tax loopholes etc. There was info from an agent or financial guy... The taxes paid aren't enough of a difference between teams to make any meaningful difference 

Well 10-15%  seems like a lot of difference under the cap for management trying to compete at least. TBs guys are under great deals not so much because they are taking discounts as they are making sure they can’t be traded and stay in a low tax bracket.   It’s a loophole for sure.   Also why Stamkos stayed - didn’t take TOs offer and why Tavares deal in TO worked out to about the same as SJ as at the time CALI and NY teams were taxed the most in the entire league.   5 million is not the same from state to state or province to province - close in most cases except for Dallas, Vegas, Florida and TB - 5 instead of 5.5-5.75 doesn’t seem too bad - but it does when you do each individual contract up and find out that’s like 8-12 million dollars more then everyone else in bargains.   Or one marquee player or two Horvats ... Not hard to see why those teams are so stacked. 

8 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

There are a lotta ways for players and teams to even the playing field. Fans are just overreacting cause the teams have less taxes in Vegas, Florida etc.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Comparing Lehner to Markstrom:
Lehner Career: 317 GP, 2.68GAA, .917 SV%
Jacob Markstrom: 284 GP, 2.81 GAA, .911 SV%

Last year:
Lehner: 34GP, 2.89 GAA, .920 SV%
Markstrom: 43 GP, 2.75 GAA, .918 SV%

2019:
Lehner: 43 GP, 2.13 GAA, .930 SV%
Markstrom: 60 GP, 2.77 GAA, .912 SV%

Their stats in the past couple years have been fairly similar, although Markstrom has been used more. Markstrom is also older. I'd give Marky around the same amount of money for a year less of term and call it a day. If he wants anything about 6, get out of there. 

Lol you are comparing markstrom stats to lehner based on him playing on the islanders for trot? Where every goalie have superior stats playing there coz they are a great defensive team. Stick lehner on vancouver with that trash defense they have last year and even this year he'd be lit up like a Xmas tree. Vancouver defense prolly ranks bottom 3rd of the league defensively. Other than hughes every other defenseman on this team would be 2nd pairing or worse on most nhl teams.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

yes. it is.

it's irrelevent imo.

first, you have to ask yourselves whether and how this advantage is playing out for these teams...

the most obvious advantage would/should be in the relative stream of free agents to these markets - if this is so important to players.

Vegas' build came via the expansion draft and then the spoils of their subsequent moves (not

when you look at the Tampa Lightning...

Virtually their entire team has been built throught the draft and through the trade market - no evidence of any material advantage in the UFA market, no dependence upon it, in fact their build is about as legit as you can ask.

the question then becomes - are the players on these teams taking lower cap hits in the end (what really matters in team advantage)?  I don't see it  - don't buy it and don't care if they wind up taking home a % more of their millions.   Look at their roster - identify the cap discounts - and then make the case imo - if you still can.

There would have to be a far more in depth look at relative cap hits to performance before any of you could substantiate this as an effective/existing advantage that plays out in a tangible way in the end.

Players still looking to come to Canadian teams - in fact the Canucks have seen an uptick in interest in signing here - I'd suggest it has as much to do with team trajectory, the attractiveness of the place to live - numerous factors - as simple state tax rates.    Not buying it - as someone that would be entirely willing to acknowledge this were it in fact evident on any level.

Shattenkirk and Maroon

4 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Shattenkirk and Maroon

They took significantly less to have a real chance at winning, and it worked. Don't think taxes played any part in their decision at all.

Shattenkirk got to play a whole season with either Hedman, McDonagh, or Sergachev as his partner. That made up for a lot of his deficiencies, and he got to showcase how he could still be a valuable player in the right situation.

I don't see too many players taking less to play with the Florida Panthers, even though their state tax rules are exactly the same as Tampa's.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Is it a coincidence that Tampa, Dallas and Vegas have some of the lowest tax rates in the US?

What were the tax situations of St. Louis, Boston, San Jose, and Carolina?

...So yeah, coincidence is exactly what it is.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

What were the tax situations of St. Louis, Boston, San Jose, and Carolina?

...So yeah, coincidence is exactly what it is.

So you guys think the agents don’t know what the players take home pay is?  You believe that Kucherov and Point sign for those salaries in Toronto?  Take home or net pay matters.  If Toronto has to pay a player 10 million per season for the same net pay as Tampa paying a player 8.5 million how is that not a salary cap advantage?  Obviously it’s not the only factor for UFAs.  Most are looking for a winning atmosphere, a nice city and a good salary.  A winning team always has an advantage over a losing team with salaries and signing UFAs as well.  That is not my point.  Of course the Panthers have to pay more for UFAs.  They suck.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Includes an 8 team modified no-trade - but no NMC.

Bingo! Ain't getting a NMC from us Markstrom, a minimal NTC at best. Still believe that Lehner is the superior G to Markstrom so if we have offered him 5m he should take it and run. These UFA G's aren't going to get paid big and likely will have to take short term deals.

Stay strong JB and if we move on from Marky, Tanev, Toffoli that is okay, life goes on bring in some fresh blood!