The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

I like Benning but Madden and a 2nd for 11 games of Toffoli is not a good look...

It woyld fairer if we got the second back now that he won't sign. Oh well. At least it showed our guys what it takes to win in the play-offs. And maybe that's why guys like oel want to sign here? 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Give it a year, Jim will make sure we’ll be there. 
but no cap issues here we can’t resign our players but yeah no issues. Lol. 

Who said we don't have issues? The poster you replied to said we aren't in the top ten for cap crunch.

Why create a strawman? argue or discuss what he said, not what you replied with.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Way too much dead money.

A few years back we were glowing with the warm blanket of the idea of former multiple 30+ scorer LE lighting it up once again with the Sedins.   Now we were googlie eyes over 10 games of Toffoli and almost the same deal .... so no thx.   Dodged a bullet IMO. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, awalk said:

I like Benning but Madden and a 2nd for 11 games of Toffoli is not a good look...

10 regular season games 6 goals 4 assists a point a game +3. Brought in to temporarily replace an injured top line winger and help the team make the play offs.

Mission accomplished

7 play off games    2 goals 2 assists -4.

I think Toffoli is more like the play off player we saw and less like the reg season guy.

That said even if Tyler signs elsewhere, I like that trade. Play off experience for the young guys was an extremely good thing.

edit to add

Who saw covid flat salary cap coming? Hold up your hands. Nobody?     thought so.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I think this holds some validity whether you like Benning or not

Granted, this isn’t a normal situation. However, the Canucks management absolutely cannot be clear of all blame. Here’s a good analogy. The Vancouver Canucks were handcuffed by the league and its flat cap, but the Canucks are who provided the league with the handcuffs. With proper cap management and reasonable signings, they would not be in this situation at all.

The problem isn’t that the Canucks won’t be able to clear the cap space. The problem is that they got themselves into this situation in the first place. The Vancouver Canucks are a team that haven’t made the playoffs in the last half decade. Their top two players are still on ELCs. Captain Bo Horvat, along with J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser are all making under $6M. The fact that they are in a cap crunch at this point in time is downright inexcusable especially when near the bottom of the league standings for many years

Of course, there’s no possible way to tell exactly how things will play out. There’s no crystal ball to stare at, nor will Dr. Emmett Brown appear in a parking lot and take us into the future. There’s no way for us to know what’s up Benning’s sleeve when it comes to cap management. The best that can be done is to make educated predictions given the current situation. At the end of the day though, things aren’t looking good for the Vancouver Canucks. The team is set to face the consequences of their negligent spending. The playoffs exposed how much further the Canucks still need to go, and they don't even have the cap to keep what they even have, It needs to be made clear, however, that the flat cap isn’t causing these issues. It’s only amplifying them. The Canucks have nobody to blame but themselves, as they prepare to make some very difficult decisions.

Hey guess who little miss can’t do wrong Yzerman did?  Signed Gagne.   Have to ice an NHL team and all that.  Some Canuck fans are whiny little brats. We are better one year before he anticipated.    Sure a lot better then - well being worse right?

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

10 regular season games 6 goals 4 assists a point a game +3. Brought in to temporarily replace an injured top line winger and help the team make the play offs.

Mission accomplished

I think Toffoli is more like the play off player we saw and less like the reg season guy.

That said even if Tyler signs elsewhere, I like that trade. Play off experience for the young guys was an extremely good thing.

edit to add

Who saw covid flat salary cap coming? Hold up your hands. Nobody?     thought so.

Thanks Gurn.  Also he did most of his damage in a few games right?   It’s highly unusual for a middle six player to explode at 28.    Hoffman is a more dependable target anyways. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A few years back we were glowing with the warm blanket of the idea of former multiple 30+ scorer LE lighting it up once again with the Sedins.   Now we were googlie eyes over 10 games of Toffoli and almost the same deal .... so no thx.   Dodged a bullet IMO. 

All depends on the contract. Realistically we dodged a bullet.

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Mission accomplished

edit to add

Its not a good look asset management wise. I get the value Toffoli brought, would be awesome to keep him but poor contracts taking up too much cap space is likely preventing that. 

I like Benning but this one is not great, would be nice to resign this guy.  20/20 

18 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

LOL people like you need to understand your boy jimbo failed math 9.

You make deals to push to go further. EVERY GM in the NHL does it. If they don't they won't be running a team in the NHL. Owners (all of them) expect results which means, sometimes you sacrifice from a position of strength to try and go further and show commitment to your core.

Jim showed commitment to his young core by getting them the help they needed when it looked like Boeser would possibly be done for the season.

If you have a problem with that, then you don't understand what it takes to motivate a team. That Benning would make that trade is why guys like OEL would want to come here. We're not afraid to push limitations and exceed expectations.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2