The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

Just now, Filthy McNasty said:

Loui, it’s all your fault man 

have fun walking into that dressing room next season

Only dressing room he should be walking into is in Utica.

Benning has gotta start playing hardball with him. Tell him straight up you won’t be on on our roster next season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

&^@#  benning! We are about to lose both toffoli and tanev because he burned all his cap room on crap players and now when we need to room to sign actual useful players top 6 forward and vet top 4 dman there is no room.  Fire this clown today!

Oh look...another one! You and the other guy freaking out in this thread need to get together and bitch to each other instead of posting bulls*** in this thread! So exhausting reading this crap! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Both RWs, both pending FAs, limited cap, limited roster spots with an excess of wingers.

This was not stated by anyone in the organisation, but going into the playoffs I just felt that it was a shoot out between these two guys as to who would stay with the Canucks. I was hoping to see A LOT more from Jake to prove that he could be a playoff performer. I was disappointed and figured JB would use that cap and roster spot on Toffoli.

As I also said in my post earlier, there is still time for that to happen!

I don't agree.  I think that Virtanen is likely to sign in the range of a million more than his qualifying offer -which is 1.25 - whereas Toffoli will require in the range of 5 million...I don't see these as mutually exclusive, nor 'competing' with each other - at all.  We also just saw a couple RFAs traded for each other - Anderson and Domi - I'm not on the 'trade Virtanen' team, but they still retain his rights in qualifying him.   With the contingencies they face, the qualifying offer imo is as 'no-brainer' as hoping to bring Toffoli back, but moving cap has been glacial accross the league, so if push comes to shove, they may have to choose between Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli - for me, that is more the question than Toffoli vs Virtanen.   Who would you prioritize among the expiring UFAs?

11 minutes ago, IRR said:

Oh look...another one! You and the other guy freaking out in this thread need to get together and bitch to each other instead of posting bulls*** in this thread! So exhausting reading this crap! 

I tend to look on the bright side. 

One of the real bonuses - of a mere qualifying offer of 1.25 to a young player like this - are the reactions....converted into entertainment value.

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't agree.  I think that Virtanen is likely to sign in the range of a million more than his qualifying offer -which is 1.25 - whereas Toffoli will require in the range of 5 million...I don't see these as mutually exclusive, nor 'competing' with each other - at all.  We also just saw a couple RFAs traded for each other - Anderson and Domi - I'm not on the 'trade Virtanen' team, but they still retain his rights in qualifying him.   With the contingencies they face, the qualifying offer imo is as 'no-brainer' as hoping to bring Toffoli back, but moving cap has been glacial accross the league, so if push comes to shove, they may have to choose between Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli - for me, that is more the question than Toffoli vs Virtanen.   Who would you prioritize among the expiring UFAs?

I'm aware that TT and JV are at different cap levels, but we do not have the space (cap $ or roster spots unless other moves are made) to retain both in my opinion.

The "choice" between Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom is probably driven more by what options JB has to fill those spots, and their relative cost. Plus the overall picture of what contracts can be moved out to create cap space.

For example, Virtanen fills a RW spot (perhaps a deal with Leivo is pending too) so Toffoli can walk. Demko has shown he can hold down a fulltime #1 position (or has he?) so Markstrom can walk. There is no obvious Tanev replacement in the organisation, so Tanev becomes the priority of those 3 UFAs.

The above statements are just examples. Obviously we are not party to all the information and moves that JB is considering. But it is that information that will drive who is a priority to resign.

Edited by BigTramFan

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I'm aware that TT and JV are at different cap levels, but we do not have the space (cap $ or roster spots unless other moves are made) to retain both in my opinion.

The "choice" between Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom is probably driven more by what options JB has to fill those spots, and their relative cost. Plus the overall picture of what contracts can be moved out to create cap space.

For example, Virtanen fills a RW spot (perhaps a deal with Leivo is pending too) so Toffoli can walk. Demko has shown he can hold down a fulltime #1 position (or has he?) so Markstrom can walk. There is no obvious Tanev replacement in the organisation, so Tanev becomes the priority of those 3 UFAs.

The above statements are just examples. Obviously we are not party to all the information and moves that JB is considering. But it is that information that will drive who is a priority to resign.

I'd agree with that at the same time as not focusing solely on inside the organization - but also the (projected) relative opportunities in the market...that part can be difficult to assess from where we sit, but still, I'd consider going to this particular UFA RHD market to be less than inspiring in general....so imo it somewhat reduces to Tanev vs the potential trade market.

Where goaltending is concerned, in spite of having Demko, I would not be prepared to name him the starter presently - so I look at the Markstrom question relative to his market replacement moreso than in relation to Demko.....Regardless, if they really want to sign Toffoli I don't think Virtanen - who might cost you 1 - 1.5 million over a placeholder/replacement/alternative youth 3RW as precluding Toffoli.  The Canucks, regardless of Toffoli, need 3RW and 4RW - but also happen to have about 5 good young potential candidates - so I understand if Toffoli isn't the first UFA signed.  I think a lot of agents are going to want their players signed promptly/as qucikly as possible - but the market is in quite a bottleneck with with not much moving...some folks here see everything from the lens of inside-this-market expectations....but it's a market all the teams are operating within - and relatively speaking, having UFAs wanting to come here, while also having a healthy pool of futures...there are worse positiions to be in....and likewise where the criticism of this team's contracts are concerned (we could have a comparable field day with most of the teams in the NHL - it's a fishbowl syndrome in here at times.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Loui, it’s all your fault man 

have fun walking into that dressing room next season

I think it was Bieksa who recently said “You really don’t want to be the most overpaid guy in the dressing room”

I can’t imagine it goes over well to be that guy for 5 years in a row.  They might not dislike him as a team mate, but they know what he is costing them in terms of winning.

I have heard a lot of the kids talk about how good it has been to have certain veterans around.... haven’t heard them mentioning Loui by name,  I have heard even guys like Schaller and Schenn singled out in a positive way.... no Eriksson.

He should have been permanently demoted the start of last season at the latest.  Terrible decision to not have put the screws to him then.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think it was Bieksa who recently said “You really don’t want to be the most overpaid guy in the dressing room”

I can’t imagine it goes over well to be that guy for 5 years in a row.  They might not dislike him as a team mate, but they know what he is costing them in terms of winning.

I have heard a lot of the kids talk about how good it has been to have certain veterans around.... haven’t heard them mentioning Loui by name,  I have heard even guys like Schaller and Schenn singled out in a positive way.... no Eriksson.

He should have been permanently demoted the start of last season at the latest.  Terrible decision to not have put the screws to him then.

If he had any pride and dignity he would retire. He stole 31 of the 36 million. Now,  just go away. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

No worries. 

VAN takes a step back, misses the playoffs and gets a top 10 pick.  Then drafts Luke Hughes (Quinn's younger brother).  It's all part of the master plan.

And build a time machine to win the 1st overall in the Jack Hughes year. Foolproof plan.

Will be interesting to see what wingers bring in during this COVID off-season; maybe he'll be asking for less in a few days and the Canucks get to keep their 4th if he hits the market at all right?

If Toffoli doesn't work out, still think Granlund would be a shrewd signing and fit with Horvat, maybe Ryan Strome. Bobby Ryan could be a bargain bin signing a la Shattenkirk & Bogosian. Craig Smith will also hit free agency. Dadonov can play either wing (81 goals in his last 225 games- top 100 in the league since 2017). Namestnikov? Former jr teammate of Bo's who can play all forward positions and had a decent series against Dallas, his dad played here

Hopefully Benning can bring in one of these players to compete with Virt for the 2nd RW position

Guys, we've been seeing this for two weeks already.  

Teams don't want to be the ones to tell their own player that they won't be getting anything close to what they want.  It's not that hard to understand.  

Your kid wants 10 toys, and everyone else can only offer 5 toys.  Are you going to fight with him by telling him that he's only worth 6?  Hell no, you tell him to go out there and take a look at what he can get.  

Why would you be the one to break the news?  Look at the rest of the league.  

Also some of you guys are looking quite foolish by blaming Benning, take a damn good look around the league!