The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Pretty high price to pay for a top 6 that ended up playing for us for less than 25 games? A bad gamble at the time just to try and make the playoff

Pretty good spin since the truth is at the time of the deal the cap was expected to go up by 6-7 million. Beginning saw a chance to improve the team with Brock being injured. To somehow blame Benning is laughable, considering how good a fit he was and if the cap had of gone up, it wouldn't have been an issue to get him signed. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys, we've been seeing this for two weeks already.  

Teams don't want to be the ones to tell their own player that they won't be getting anything close to what they want.  It's not that hard to understand.  

Your kid wants 10 toys, and everyone else can only offer 5 toys.  Are you going to fight with him by telling him that he's only worth 6?  Hell no, you tell him to go out there and take a look at what he can get.  

Why would you be the one to break the news?  Look at the rest of the league.  

Also some of you guys are looking quite foolish by blaming Benning, take a damn good look around the league!  

Certain people blame Benning no matter what. 

I think everything shifted when OEL became available. We have some internal options on Wing, we have no D prospects who compare to OEL. Besides a lot can happen still, maybe Benning has other things in the air. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

JB will sign him no doubt.  just waiting until cap and trades get done. 

TT is type of player a team wins. Gotta sign him.

Gotta agree fully with this ,  in the short time TT was here,  he finishes the play well.. reads opportunities.

comparable to Boeser who struggled,. Almost telegraphed his play at times.. 

• Upvote 4

Find it hard to believe the Canucks wont remove cap in the bottom of the lineup to keep a player like Toffoli. 

The team with Toffoli was still one or two scorers short and another NHL capable defenseman to move the puck to the forwards or create transition. Missing an opportunity to re-sign Toffoli is a big deal, yes the team has youth coming but you need legit NHL difference makers. Being ok with a loss like this because Hoglander etc are coming won't get the team anywhere.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Find it hard to believe the Canucks wont remove cap in the bottom of the lineup to keep a player like Toffoli. 

The team with Toffoli was still one or two scorers short and another NHL capable defenseman to move the puck to the forwards or create transition. Missing an opportunity to re-sign Toffoli is a big deal, yes the team has youth coming but you need legit NHL difference makers. Being ok with a loss like this because Hoglander etc are coming won't get the team anywhere.

Not as easy in this climate to ‘remove cap in the bottom of the lineup’ 

a lot of players are ending up in free agency across the league that wouldn’t normally because of the flap cap and lower internal budgets. 

we may circle back around to toff, 

also a lot the rumours at the moment are conjecture based on timelines not on actual sources

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Making the playoffs was. TT helped give us that. 

Funny how people remember it differently grandmaster

I remember TT scoring and the team only winning 4 of the 10 games he played in and were falling out of a playoff spot and he wasn't even available for the play-ins to Make the playoffs

He was a player i said at the time of signing him was a luxury we couldn't afford, that it was defense that wins championships, that a defenseman  would have helped us more at that time (lots of scoring teams found that out again) . If it wasn't for the stellar play of our goaltenders, we would not have been excited by the outcome. Toffoli is nice to have, but we still need help in other areas like getting out of our end as a priority 

12 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I remember TT scoring and the team only winning 4 of the 10 games he played in and were falling out of a playoff spot and he wasn't even available for the play-ins to Make the playoffs

He was a player i said at the time of signing him was a luxury we couldn't afford, that it was defense that wins championships, that a defenseman  would have helped us more at that time (lots of scoring teams found that out again) . If it wasn't for the stellar play of our goaltenders, we would not have been excited by the outcome. Toffoli is nice to have, but we still need help in other areas like getting out of our end as a priority 

It’s a bit of chicken and egg though. Those 10 games Demko was in goal and we were sliding backwards. Without those 4 wins we wouldn’t have made it to playins. Defence does win championships but our defence was poor and TD was putting up less than favourable numbers.

i think toff was supposed to help scoring to offset this (Especially as BB was down) as there wasn’t the option to upgrade at the back end at a price we could pay. 

in theory of the cap had gone up as expected I would presume the plan would be to sign him, but everything is up in the air due to COVID 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s a bit of chicken and egg though. Those 10 games Demko was in goal and we were sliding backwards. Without those 4 wins we wouldn’t have made it to playins. Defence does win championships but our defence was poor and TD was putting up less than favourable numbers.

i think toff was supposed to help scoring to offset this (Especially as BB was down) as there wasn’t the option to upgrade at the back end at a price we could pay. 

in theory of the cap had gone up as expected I would presume the plan would be to sign him, but everything is up in the air due to COVID 

We don't know what players could have moved that never did, but i remember some trades after  the TT trade for Brenden Dillon moved for a 2nd and 50% retained, Alex Martinez for a 2nd, Sami Vatanen, Marco Scandella for a 2nd, Dylan Demeco for a 3rd after the TT trade as just some examples. I know why they said they got TT,(I remember hating that we were taking the Leafs approach and loading up on offense, I also commented it was a blessing that Marky got hurt just before the trade deadline, or we may have traded some great prospects on acquiring another goalie, I hated moving picks and prospects for injuries, what if EP went down, Hughes? sell the farm?) I just thought the players moved  would have been better spent on getting D. We have some skilled guys that could bounce pucks off my a** and even i could score.  D and moving the puck was always a concern

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

All I know is that the priority was to make the playoffs. It had been 5 bloody long years! TT arrived and produced as advertised. 10 points in 10 games is nothing to sneeze at. Perhaps if the regular season played out, we would have seen more victories and perhaps those 4 victories we had would not have been there with out TT. Regardless, it was well worth a 2nd and a prospect that is unlikely to be a good player, of which I even doubt he would even make the NHL (I’m sorry but if your 20 years old and weigh 150lbs, you need to be exceptional to play in this league).

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

I loved what Toffoli brought to this team but I imagine he is looking for the last deal of his career type money and contract.  People are bitching we gave Madden away in that trade, we also made the playoffs.  All the teams that win make decisions that p iss off the fan base and so many people in this fan base seem perpetually pizzed off.  Nobody has any idea what Toffoli's agent is asking.  Does it make a difference that when he was here he got to play with Pettersson.  Anyone that plays on that youngster's wing is gonna get points.  Hope Toffoli comes back but if he doesn't JB prob dodged a bullet.

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Markstrom walks they can spend some of that $$$ bringing back Toffoli.

Toffoli, OEL & a capable goalie to tandem with Demko. 

100% agree with your thinking

Toffoli is the most important UFA the canucks have in my opinion with what he did in the playoffs and how he fit in so well after being trading. He is a playoff warrior that knows what it takes to win a cup. 

46 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

this probably shuts down the Boeser trade speculation 

Nah.   Just down a little.   Can’t wait until we sign EP and QHs, they “regress” -  meaning do about the same - and then all sorts of “trade EP and QHs threads “ pop up everywhere.  

• Vintage 1