The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

1 hour ago, x00x said:

didnt we give a 1st round draft for tyler or something? and if he walks, we lose on that draft pick we traded for him

You seem to be combining 2 different trades.

J.T. Miller for 1st & 3rd round picks and Goalie Marek Mazanec.

Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2nd & conditional 4th round picks.

23 hours ago, Me_ said:

So the Canucks went from \ to / and in its latest accomplishments, beat the Defending Stanley Cup Champions, and then took the supposed Stanley Cup Favorites for a Game 7 ride.

Toffoli played one game against Minnesota on August 2,

Did not play against St-Louis,

And played 6 of the 7 games against the Knights.

Benning and his team have brought bountiful success to this franchise already and we're just starting. 

Our boys grew a lot this year.

All of this is true, but instead of building team depth we are losing depth. Yes, it's a pandemic. Yes, we also have terrible contracts on this team costing us way more than this flat cap. We have over $20 million in fodder that got caved in every time they touched the ice in the playoffs that we are stuck with while better players walk out the door.

It's hard not to be very disappointed about that.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Just sign TT already, we can't just let Arizona stall everything. We still have a team to build around. Sign Toffoli first and then we will go for there. If Marky walks off and gets something north of $5 million and more term, good for him, the man has earned it. We are 2 days away from free agency, not a single pending UFA is resigned, not a single bad contract was moved off the team. We got to atleast start something, because we can't just sit here and wait for Arizona's decision. Just call their GM and be like "hey, it is either now or never, we have other plans to make as well." Pressure them.

benning can't pressure anybody he is probably getting pressured from Arizona

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

All of this is true, but instead of building team depth we are losing depth. Yes, it's a pandemic. Yes, we also have terrible contracts on this team costing us way more than this flat cap. We have over $20 million in fodder that got caved in every time they touched the ice in the playoffs that we are stuck with while better players walk out the door.

It's hard not to be very disappointed about that.

But the future is still so awesomely so bright!

In retrospect, if everything goes wrong and we lose out on Toffoli/Marky/Tanev and OEL we could just roll with the youngsters and stock up on picks.

Trade for MAF, take his full cap hit for a 1st, 2nd/good prospect/etc.

Trade Pearson(1/2 retained). Could take advantage of someone who wants to clear cap like TBL with Killorn. Maybe we net Foote and a good pick... maybe?

I know it wouldn't be the most ideal of situations but you could definitely make the most of a bad scenario.

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In retrospect, if everything goes wrong and we lose out on Toffoli/Marky/Tanev and OEL we could just roll with the youngsters and stock up on picks.

Trade for MAF, take his full cap hit for a 1st, 2nd/good prospect/etc.

Trade Pearson(1/2 retained). Could take advantage of someone who wants to clear cap like TBL with Killorn. Maybe we net Foote and a good pick... maybe?

I know it wouldn't be the most ideal of situations but you could definitely make the most of a bad scenario.

Somehow, I’m really not worried about the job Benning does as much as I’m excited to see his wonderful work getting done.

And if it happens that Toffoli, Markstrom and/ or Tanev aren’t in the plans, then so be it.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

Too bad he goes free tomorrow.

our cap is horrendous maxed to the max.we can probably lose other’s tomorrow who should not be going out the door but keeping a small trio that cannot be moved , that should be . He did not play enough games for us . What’s it mean we gave up a second an prospective minor players. Our team loves trading second round picks away. It would have been great to sign him.

The only thing that makes sense to me is most of our pending UFA's are playing hardball and/or an OEL trade is close. I guess Benning is fine with letting these guys walk and signing replacements if need be.

Hopefully everything becomes clear tomorrow. So far I'm not really disappointed, I liked the draft and we still have plenty of cap space.

Pretty disappointed to see the effective Goal scoring 2nd line winger Leave.

ge fit in so seamlessly and gave us scoring depth.

some of us knew the  Ridiculous over spending on ufas was going to cost us down the road and this year it looks like it’s going to cost us a starting goaltender a top 4 defenders  a Top six forward And a few others. 
sure hope we don’t add a over paid over rated Dman and really screw this team up. 

we don’t seem like a team that should be throwing away 2nd round picks and Good prospects for rentals at this point in the build. 

Kinda odd how quiet it is right now on the canuck front. Only leaks involving the canucks have been players leaving. Not many rumors linking us to any players. 

I know we're of limited cap space but if all those rumored actually hit FA we suddenly have 14m to spend.

Anyone else find this weird?

Edited by 73 Percent